Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2009, 21:30   #1

Boat: Cal 25
Long term consequences of my "repairs"

I recently just did some major repairs on my 1968 Cal 25. These repairs, to name a few included: porthole leaks, thru-holes and plumbing replaced, bottom paint, bildge, lazerette repair, holding tank, electrical system overhaul, leaks and more leaks..... But two repairs in particular i have created cause for concern, regarding their integrity and longevity.

The first repair was the transom. Pictures would best explain the situation, unfortunately i am without. But i will explain the best I can. So the fiberglass that is attached to the wooded transom split away from the deck fiberglass. It wasn't the actual fiberglass that split but rather the adhesive(or whatever held it together) connecting the deck/cockpit together. So when the outboard runs the very outer fiberglass bended SO uncomfortably far outwards. So instead of replacing the entire transom(time and money were an issue) this is what i did: I first epoxied the hell out of the splitting fiberglass, then drilled a hole from the cockpit to the very outer part of the boat, then bolted the two pieces together.

My next questionable repair concerned a rotten portion of the deck. I had some very bad leaking where the pop-top met the deck. So when I more closely examined the leaking i saw that the innerwood core was rotten through. So what i did was scrape out all the rotten wood on all sides, fill the creases of the poptop with 3M 5200 sealant, then fiberglassed over all the sealant. I know its unproffesional, but the leaks have completed ceased.

So my question is: are these just ill-sighted solutions doomed to even more failures. And how long should these solutions hold, i am planning on selling this boat in a couple years. Thanks!
Salmon Hatchery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 23:47   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Hatchery View Post
And how long should these solutions hold,

They will be fine! Till you are just out of sight of land reading a storm warning.........

LOL Only joshing

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 09:22   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
They will be fine! Till you are just out of sight of land reading a storm warning.........

LOL Only joshing

AT 3AM...

Steve B.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 10:54   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Hatchery View Post
So my question is: are these just ill-sighted solutions doomed to even more failures. And how long should these solutions hold, i am planning on selling this boat in a couple years. Thanks!
I would not sell the boat or even take it out of swimming distance of land. When your done with it just scrap it. It'll never sell and if you did you could be in for a law suit if you don't tell the next owner, considering you just posted it on the www.

Just use it up!

Tags
repairs