Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2023, 15:34   #16

Boat: Morgan 28
Re: Replacing S/S lifelines w/ rope

Thank you and all of the others that have responded. I appreciate everyone’s suggestions and may, out of necessity, go w/ one of the suggestions posted. What I was hoping for was g go or someone that also saw that YouTube kinda link that showed a guy installing the kind of lifelines I’m looking for. The ‘process’ for installation is wonderfully easy. So easy and good looking that I purchased all my supplies and don’t want to re-spend unless I have to. Is there anyone ‘put there’ that remembers seeing the link?
ROCKYIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 16:18   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
This is a misunderstanding of how lifelines work. Of course the stanchions are weaker. All they do is hold the spacing of the lifelines. The tension is held by the pulpit and sternrail, which should be very well braced.
Not what we want to hear, but the truth.
Yes +.
Many years ago, one of the engineering classes at the Naval Academy, (Annapolis,) did such a study.
The predominate cause of stanchion failure was that when a load was applied to the lifelines, (such as a person being thrown against them,) the bow and stern pulpits would flex, that slacked the lifelines, and the load would bend the stanchion(s).
Bow/stern pulpits need to be triangulated such that the attachment points of the lifelines are absolutely immobile, and the lifelines need to be TIGHT.
Also, stanchions that lean outboard, (following deck camber,) are less resistant to bending than those which are mounted on tapered pads/bases so that they are vertical or lean inboard a few degrees.
Old 26-12-2023, 19:24   #18

Thank you Bowdrie … and others. In spite of all the many posts, I still want to (go or now anyway) want to try and see if any of the readers can help me find that link I’ve been asking about.
Old 27-12-2023, 06:19   #19

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKYIV View Post
I’m hoping someone out there can help. A number of months ago I found a YouTube kinda link that showed how to change away from S/S lifelines to rope lines. Now I’m ready to take action but now I can’t find the video. If this is something you can help me find somewhere out there on the Internet, that would be an awesome Christmas present. Merry Christmas everyone!!🎄🎁🎅
I'm torn on this subject. I love how Dyneema lifelines look and feel, but then there's the downside of higher maintenance schedule.
Yes they are crazy strong, but the stanchions and pushpit/pullpit are still the weakpoints... and then there is chafe prevention.
They can also get pricey if you want to create all the gates etc that function the same way as your old SS ones did.
We sell both.... but 90% of our installs are still in uncoated 1x19 3/16" wire.
Often the cheapest option is to remove and label/mark your lifelines, take them to a rigging shop, and have them reproduced, then reinstall them yourself.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 15:57   #20

Boat: Beneteau 343

Replacing my stock lifelines with dyneema was definitely one of the funnest projects I have done. Worked out really well.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2023, 16:15   #21

Hi “EmeraldCoastSailor”, I must have done a crummy job w/ my initial “Call Out for Help”. What I am needing is to find someone (besides me) that saw a “YouTube” kinda link that showed the boat owner replacing his older S/S lifelines. He wasn’t promoting that one company’s product that so many of the readers are suggesting. I really wanted to try the method shown in the link if for no other reason than I already bought the supplies. Any suggestions relating to how I can find that link will be much appreciated.
Old 27-12-2023, 17:02   #22

Boat: Beneteau 343

Sorry, I didn't read your post well enough. I assume you searched YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...eema+lifelines

But I can't recall what YouTube videos helped me. I know I used several. I may have just viewed videos that showed how to make loops, shackles, etc. as opposed to one dedicated to lifelines.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifelines, rope