Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2020, 15:22   #91

Boat: Hunter 466
Re: RANT Canadian vessel name RANT

We had no problem renaming our boat. We submitted 3 truly unique names and our first choice was accepted. DOG DAZE. Try to come up with something quite unique and you will get your choice.

Good luck.
patmvcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 16:01   #92

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Beach View Post
May be oversimplifying the issue here but.... the small vessel registry in Canada doesn't include names just registration numbers.... so on the last 3 boats I've registered I just put the name of my choice on the boat. As long as you don't call it "Coce Cola" or something like that you'll probably never hear from anyone.

I believe the register contains a whole lot more than that, but it is not publicly searchable?

Speaking of, what is the difference between the small vessel register, and the other? We are registered on the latter.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 16:02   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmvcr View Post
We had no problem renaming our boat. We submitted 3 truly unique names and our first choice was accepted. DOG DAZE. Try to come up with something quite unique and you will get your choice.

Good luck.

The best strategy of all, I believe. Worked for us too.
Old 18-09-2020, 16:30   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
And having edmonton as your home port is great. It's an easy conversation starter for people. We constantly have people asking how we sailed from there???
Not that hard - just sail down the Athabasca River (might have to portage around some rapids, not sure on that) pop out in the Arctic Ocean and then you have a choice of going left or right. Easy really.

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 16:35   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
Not that hard - just sail down the Athabasca River (might have to portage around some rapids, not sure on that) pop out in the Arctic Ocean and then you have a choice of going left or right. Easy really.
Lol. Is this where I burst into song about being a lumber jack? 😂🤣😂🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Old 18-09-2020, 17:23   #96

Boat: Pearson 10M

How about Not-towa? Actually I kind of like that, I just put in for the trademark. So.......
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 05:59   #97

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Lol. Is this where I burst into song about being a lumber jack? [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1063][emoji1063][emoji1063]
Someone on facebook just posted the video of that commercial. Classic!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 08:26   #98

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

I went through that very process when I bought my boat. I wanted to call her “Andiamo” Italian for “ hey let’s go” but that was taken- so I did “Andiamo DL”- the combo of Lauralee and David.
On the stern, I have Andiamo DL and in the bow “Andiamo”.
I found the process annoying but I liked the formalities of it all. I filled the forms out and jumped through the hoops because I realized that Transport Canada is a huge regulatory organization. My boat is my boat and it feels more special because of the hoops.
So yeah- I get it , but I appreciate the seriousness of the boat name. It means something. Just my two cents.
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:36   #99

Boat: Hunter 466
pirate Re: RANT Canadian vessel name RANT

Quote:
I believe the register contains a whole lot more than that, but it is not publicly searchable?

Speaking of, what is the difference between the small vessel register, and the other? We are registered on the latter.
From Transport Canada site:
"This [SMALL VESSEL] registry only applies to commercial (non-pleasure) vessels that are 15 gross tons or less. This type of registration is required for: Vessels less than or equal to 15 gross tonnes used for commercial purposes with propulsion motors of 10 horsepower (7.5kW) or more (if unsure of tonnage, check this explanation of tonnage measurements) commercial river rafts government-owned vessels with propulsion motors of 10 horsepower (7.5kW) or more This type of registration is not required if:
- Your vessel does not or will not have a mortgage
- You do not wish to register an “official” name
- You don’t intend to travel outside of Canada."

These VESSELS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRY:
"In Canada, all non-pleasure vessels powered by an engine of 10hp (7.5kw) or more and commercial river rafts must be registered with Transport Canada’s Canadian Register of Vessels or Small Vessel Register (Commercial)."

DOG DAZE was previously registered with the "big boys" registry, so we decided to keep it a registered vessel. We HATED the previous owner's name, so we changed it.

BTW, it is considered bad luck to rename a boat:

"Historically it’s been considered bad luck to change the name of a boat. However, if you absolutely must change the name of a boat, a purging and renaming ceremony must be completed before the name is revealed or anything with the new name enters the boat."

https://321boat.com/the-superstition...boat.%20Legend

We did the ceremony for DOG DAZE. Lots of champagne (actually cava).

After a few years of bad luck with deadheads in the Salish Sea, things seem to have settled down with the various gods of the seas. Or maybe it's because I have, over the years, finally managed to scratch out all evidence of the previous name on sail bags, lifejackets etc that came with her!
patmvcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:01   #100

Quote:
Attachment 223301

I think what you may find is that if legal difficulties arise, you are SOL if you rely on Canadian government support for your vessel or proof of ownership. If you are registered there is some support implicit.
Of course, whether this means anything in actuality, is anybody’s guess.
But just because folks haven’t had issues doesn’t mean that there may not be any. Usually, the law is what determines outcomes. (IANAL).

According to TC, one of the benefits is:

“To travel abroad and be recognized internationally as a registered vessel.”

In other words proof of ownership by a Canadian Citizen of a Canadian vessel.

Might not be so important if all you are doing is crossing the border to our south. But if you go farther abroad, it might be worth a thought. It’s not that difficult, once you have a name.

Good points, all. I was responding to some of the comments about the links to the ca.gov website that as you linked and thumbnailed: " - You don’t intend to travel outside of Canada."
That's all. My point being that in certain local areas Canadian boats travel outside Canada REGULARLY and are not, nor are they required to be, registered (Canadian registered - I hope by now all parties to this understand the differences: CAN - federally registered, provincial licensed; USA - federally documented, State licensed).

As a bit of background that's applicable to my comment, your reply and this entire topic:

I bought my US made boat in California in 1998 when it was 12 years old. I licensed it with the State of California, and still have the title (I don't need to CAN register it to get a title).

In 2016 I moved to Canada, and we sailed the boat up the coast.

In 2017 I licensed the boat with the province of B.C. once my old California state license expired. In 2018, I formally imported it into Canada, and paid the 12.5% tax on it.

I do not intend to ever register it with the federal Canadian govt.
I do not intend to ever sail it further south than WA state waters.
For the past three seasons I have sailed to the San Juan Islands and obtained and then renewed my US cruising permit. Couldn't go this year because of you know what, border closed.

The next owner can do whatever he/she wants to with the boat. Nothing I have done precludes the next owner from registering the boat in Canada.

For my use, even going OUTSIDE Canada is something I do regularly.

I read that part of the govt website, and simply tried to explain why the line " - You don’t intend to travel outside of Canada." is not necessarily applicable to ALL situations of "travel outside Canada."

Depending on where you have your boat, and for any newbies reading this thread, this detailed explanation could be helpful.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:55   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
I’ve always had luck with adding a place name, say Dawn of Tofino.........the of and place name are then printed smaller and lower on the transom, use the place you are registered to and that requirement is taken care of.......the trademark issue is new, I’ve named 5 vessels and never heard of it as an issue......
Interesting idea...but then wouldn't you need (according to the rules):
DAWN
of Tofino
Tofino, BC

Or could you get away with:
DAWN
of Tofino, BC

As long as everything is at least 4 inches tall?

Also while hailing, I guess you could just use DAWN, who is to know.

Gord.
GorMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:04   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I hope by now all parties to this understand the differences: CAN - federally registered, provincial licensed
Provinces do not license boats.
Old 10-02-2021, 19:46   #103

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorMac View Post
Interesting idea...but then wouldn't you need (according to the rules):
DAWN
of Tofino
Tofino, BC

Or could you get away with:
DAWN
of Tofino, BC

As long as everything is at least 4 inches tall?

Also while hailing, I guess you could just use DAWN, who is to know.

Gord.

More like:

DAWN
of
Tofino

That meets the reg, call name would be SV Dawn........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 19:49   #104

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good points, all. I was responding to some of the comments about the links to the ca.gov website that as you linked and thumbnailed: " - You don’t intend to travel outside of Canada."
That's all. My point being that in certain local areas Canadian boats travel outside Canada REGULARLY and are not, nor are they required to be, registered (Canadian registered - I hope by now all parties to this understand the differences: CAN - federally registered, provincial licensed; USA - federally documented, State licensed).

As a bit of background that's applicable to my comment, your reply and this entire topic:

I bought my US made boat in California in 1998 when it was 12 years old. I licensed it with the State of California, and still have the title (I don't need to CAN register it to get a title).

In 2016 I moved to Canada, and we sailed the boat up the coast.

In 2017 I licensed the boat with the province of B.C. once my old California state license expired. In 2018, I formally imported it into Canada, and paid the 12.5% tax on it.

I do not intend to ever register it with the federal Canadian govt.
I do not intend to ever sail it further south than WA state waters.
For the past three seasons I have sailed to the San Juan Islands and obtained and then renewed my US cruising permit. Couldn't go this year because of you know what, border closed.

The next owner can do whatever he/she wants to with the boat. Nothing I have done precludes the next owner from registering the boat in Canada.

For my use, even going OUTSIDE Canada is something I do regularly.

I read that part of the govt website, and simply tried to explain why the line " - You don’t intend to travel outside of Canada." is not necessarily applicable to ALL situations of "travel outside Canada."

Depending on where you have your boat, and for any newbies reading this thread, this detailed explanation could be helpful.

The only problem is the ugly letter number combination on both sides of the bow.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 22:48   #105

Boat: CL14 #1179

Can you register your boat to any Canadian city? Or only specific ports? What Ontario ports?
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote