Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2020, 23:05   #406

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Prices not going down??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Hurricane specials? Seen a fair few around the caribbean so far.
The Bali's are in Italy and Croatia - no way to have a look at them at the moment. The 2014 Open 40 is in the Caribean, but no Huricane damage. Not sure if it was from Navigare or Dream Yacht Charter. Same here, no way to go there now.

Though many Leopards seem to be repaired boats from Sunsail/Moorings. Some of them listed bellow 200k €. All thouse adds mentioned "already repaired to manufactureres specs", and they were in Charter after repair was done...

Most of the Lagoons are in the Med. One promissing 400 S2 from 2013 sits in Phuket from DYC. I am stranded in BKK since Feb., and as soon as HKT or Sarasin bridge opens again, i will have a look at it...
Planned as well a charter trip on a Lucia 40 in May, if ports/YHM opens again.

Before lockdown i had a look at a couple of Marinas in Thailand. Krabi, Pataya, YHM and Ao Po are my favorits. Krabi would be my no.1 as the home base of my boat. Though SEAsia is a very interesting market for me to buy. Unfortunatelly the market in Europe and Caribean has much more to offer...
Old 27-04-2020, 16:52   #407

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt49 View Post
Only a complete loony would dive into a bunker in NZ... the shaky Isles. The bunker is likely to get buried even further into the ground... NZ is earthquake central.
A well built bunker would be completely safe unless the fault was directly through the middle of it! The danger with the shaking from a really serious earthquake isn’t that you’d get buried further — it’s that you would float up to the surface rendering your expensive bunker a normal but ugly house. Same applies to underground water tanks and pipes etc — they float up in the liquefied soil...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 12:06   #408

Guys, surely this is evidence of prices going down ?

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...y-36i-3196093/

A 2011 SOD 36 ft boat at this sort of money, even if it is an ex charter and VAT has to be paid, is surely a bargain ?
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 12:13   #409

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Dear Sailors, The $ dollar is supposed to be "KING" stocks have collasped, interest rates at all time lows, gold is down, the dollar is up UP on all currencies worldwide , the euro is headed for par with the dollar, the pound is way down too, oil is down 53% in 2 weeks. Yet marine stuff is same old high price. Defenders big sale is pathetic usually offering around 10-15% off a fake list price. Used sailboats are still way up there too and asking prices are the same. Why is this ? Is every seller hoping beyond hope OR is their business still doing great with old prices?
From what I have seen here and elsewhere, it seems that there is also an increased in public interest in used sailboats due to the current situation, keeping the prices high.
Old 25-05-2020, 12:16   #410

Boats below 40 feet are a tough sell these days.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 16:36   #411

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
From what I have seen here and elsewhere, it seems that there is also an increased in public interest in used sailboats due to the current situation, keeping the prices high.
That's exactly what's happening.

On a different note, the charter fleet of real estate is in free fall. Airbnb as a business model is not looking so good.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/25/t...sts/index.html
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 16:46   #412

Boat: Tartan 3000

This is a time like 2007 of winners and losers. If you are leveraged, as I was in 07 with 3 mortgages, you likely will be in the loser camp. Strong balance sheet is the winner here.

It is a time of cash is king.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 18:15   #413

Well, I wound up getting a great deal and seller was pleased. He even bought another...S2 7.9.
Summary, I bought a boat a year early since crewing aint distancing. Bought an autotiller too.
Extra 1200 and PPP had no bearing.
Living on an Island has bearing.
sailivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 08:18   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Boats below 40 feet are a tough sell these days.
Maybe it's a Great Lakes thing, but currently, as sailivate just reported, there seems to be lots of "first" cruisers on the market - older sloops in the 24' to 27' range - around southern Ontario as well. These Good Old Boats can be had for like CAD$ 6k or less. Some at giveaway prices ($2k or less).

If you can arrange a cheap mooring/slip, the averaged-out total yearly cost of owning and using this sort of boat is less than pack-a-day smoking or a daily latte.

Sail cheap, sail now.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 18:34   #415

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Exactly the same as boats. More demand means prices won’t be going down.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/p...sales-shoot-up
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 18:53   #416
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Maybe it's a Great Lakes thing, but currently, as sailivate just reported, there seems to be lots of "first" cruisers on the market - older sloops in the 24' to 27' range - around southern Ontario as well. These Good Old Boats can be had for like CAD$ 6k or less. Some at giveaway prices ($2k or less).

If you can arrange a cheap mooring/slip, the averaged-out total yearly cost of owning and using this sort of boat is less than pack-a-day smoking or a daily latte.

Sail cheap, sail now.
Lots of junk on the market right now. Lots of old 27' junkers for giveaway prices that will be given away again within a year when the noobs realize what they have gotten into. Three baliff's notes posted on boats within 100' of mine sighted today (Lake Ontario). The market is collapsing.
Old 26-05-2020, 20:15   #417

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Lots of junk on the market right now.

SNIP
There are always a lot of junk boats on the market; many at give away prices.

It is often hard to find boats in good condition on the market because as a rule if the owner keeps the boat in good condition it is because they don't wanna sell it.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I have posted 'I am looking for some flavor of an fboat and have not seen any decrease in their prices. Please let me know if you find one'.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 01:41   #418

Quote:
Lots of junk on the market right now. Lots of old 27' junkers for giveaway prices that will be given away again within a year when the noobs realize what they have gotten into. Three baliff's notes posted on boats within 100' of mine sighted today (Lake Ontario). The market is collapsing.
Yah

I was talking to a boatyard foreman the other day

Boat owners are not paying their yard bills

Plenty of zombies around

One thing to consider.is that the last Great Financial Crisis hit the new boat market hard

There are very few 2007 to 2011 vintage boats for sale because builders didn’t build them during the crisis
Typically this age group , 10 to 15 year old boats , represent the best used boat value

Unfortunately The present market is full of 20 year old , over priced , poorly maintained boats
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 04:51   #419

Quote:
Would you please share some more of your experience with entry level boats in this size and age range?

I've been of the somewhat naive impression that such boats, built between 1980 to 1990 (very roughly), tended to have pretty solid hulls, so as long as the rigging, sails and rudder were ok, you could slap an outboard on them and go sailing. I'm assuming that aesthetics might be somewhat rough, will need cushions and interior work, and there could be a soft spot or three on the deck... but still, they sail.

I'm possibly over-estimating the average first-time buyer's ability and willingness to plug away at fix-ups. (I tend to like it, and have improved something nearly every year on our small boat)

Any guidance for people looking for a budget pocket-cruiser?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 05:23   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
There are always a lot of junk boats on the market; many at give away prices.
Especially cruising monos in the 23-28ft range, it seems like they are always giving them away. \

I think it's an anti-sweet spot on the size spectrum:
- Too big for most to comfortably trailer them.
- Once you pay for a slip and marina storage, ongoing costs for a 30ft boat is almost the same but provides a lot more comfort.

Result is people want either bigger or smaller.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price