Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 10:39   #1

Boat: Colgate 26
Personal safety/security in USVI?

Hello All,
My wife and I are leaving for a 10-day bareboat charter in the SVI soon and I am seeing/hearing conflicting reports about crime & personal safety. The charter companies & the department of tourism say "Come on down! everything is fine here!"...BUT I want to hear from folks who have recently been sailing there (since November 2017) who can address particular personal safety/security issues.
If we were sailing with another couple or in a flotilla, I wouldn't have any real concerns about personal safety. However, I don't relish the thought of being the only boat anchored in a secluded cove at dusk and seeing a powerboat with a group of men rapidly approaching...
Am I being a "nervous Nellie", or should I genuinely be concerned?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
jontw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:55   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Personal safety/security in SVI?

Pardon my ignorance but where are the SVI??
Never heard of them.
USVIs maybe?
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:02   #3

Boat: Colgate 26

My apologies! The SVI refer to the "Spanish Virgin Islands"...it's a fancy name for the sailing waters to the east of Puerto Rico (let's face it, "Spanish Virgin Islands" convey more charm and beauty than simply calling the area the "Passage Islands"!).
jontw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:04   #4

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Virgin_Islands
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:09   #5

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Never sailed there but I wouldn't be to worried.
Like all destinations
Close all hatches and lock the boat when going to shore.
Do not flash your wealth.
I avoid using water taxis that will ask at what time I will come back to the boat.
Avoid announcing on VHF your plans for the if talking to an other boat.
Always lock the dingy, specially at night.
And do buy local.

Spanish Virgin Islands —
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 04:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jontw.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 08:22   #7

Boat: Irwin 52 Center Cockpit Ketch

Did you check Caribbean Safety and Security Net? It's the first place I check.
Cheers.

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org
Renee Schramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 08:34   #8

We live in Puerto Rico and regularly sail our Leopard 44 around the SVI. It’s a beautiful place to sail. Bottom line is everything is safe except Vieques. I would just skip it all together. No violence just dingy thefts in Vieques. All other islands are very safe with no issues at all. PM me if you need specific advice on anchorages etc
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 08:46   #9

Boat: Alden 44

I haven’t chartered there but have visited Viegas and Cuelebra multiple times over the last 45 years. Never had any problems. I have chartered in BVI and St Vincent, I think crime risk is less in the Spanish Virgins. I hope to do a charter there soon! Puerto Rico is a different story, lots of property crime there but I visit yearly and have never had a problem. Follow advice of previous posts which applies everywhere!
GregW1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 08:51   #10

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
We live in Puerto Rico and regularly sail our Leopard 44 around the SVI. It’s a beautiful place to sail. Bottom line is everything is safe except Vieques. I would just skip it all together. No violence just dingy thefts in Vieques. All other islands are very safe with no issues at all. PM me if you need specific advice on anchorages etc

What he said! We are in Puerto del Rey now
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:25   #11

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Been sailing the BVI, USVI, french west indies and the windwards and grenadines , and the Abacos, Bahamas, for 35 years, and never had a problem. But , that was prior to Irma, and Marie.

We try to smart and easy, no bling, no talking about how much money that we have or how many mercedes in the garages back home. We just bring our aloha, and show respect, snorkel, sail, hike, and party down . We love the BVI.

We just have a good time, and do lock up the dink and the vessel when going ashore.

However, there have been some problems on some of the BVI, and they have initiated crewfews , and brought in military police, and rounded up the prisoners who escaped from the jail house / prison on Tortola. I would imagine that they have most of that under control.

We had planned another bare boat charter, # 17 for the BVI , this may 2018. But, we looked at the situation, and decided to let it slide until 2019 to have the locals get all of their stuff together, and rebuild, and peoples homes replaced, and back to their jobs.

Plus, we love the BVI and the people and did not want to personally witness the destruction. they are doing their absolute best to Stand BVI Strong, bless everyone of them.

We, just do not want to personally observe the devistation and the conditions of people just trying to find shelter and eat .

Not that we would be in danger, sailing the BVI, but it actually hurts our hearts to see what they are gong thru, and some of our fave beach places gone.

This year 2018 , we are passing on our sailing vacation in the BVI, and heading back to our home island of Kauai, hawaii, to see friends, and have a grand time exploring the garden island.

Again, that is us, and how we personally feel in our hearts, and we intend on keeping the fun light glowing, and reuniting with our kauai friends.....for 3 weeks in june of 2018.

In 2019, we will look into sailing the BVI once again in May. Before hurricane season, and all the kids are out of school, and less crowded anchorages.

Also, not telling others what to do, only what we feel is best for us at this time, very early post Irma.

Like others have mentioned, take normal precautions, no matter where you sail .
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 09:32   #12

Remington makes a nice chrome barreled .12 gauge pump.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 13:10   #13

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

I lived in San Juan, kept my boat in Fajardo and sailed the Spanish Virgins almost every weekend. It is beautiful and the less crowded anchorages are beautiful and safe. Some nice spots are on the west side of Cayo Luis Pena. You will probably be alone here but it is beautiful. Nice beach, good snorkeling and you and your honey can go AU natural on the beach. Sail around the southern tip heading west and moor at Punta Melonas on Culebra. This is the point on the left side of the harbor where the ferry dock is. Mooring balls here are free as in all locations. You might be alone here but there are usually one or two other boats. Dinghy the coast heading north until you hit land. There will be a beach in front of you. Dinghy onto the beach. Snorkeling is fabulous here but be careful of the currents as you approach the point. There is a short trail that goes from this beach to the north side which is also beautiful. From Punta Melonas you can dinghy around the point heading to the ferry dock and pick up the canal to the right of the dock. Follow this to mamacitas restaurant. Great place with a great steel drum band Saturday nights. You can also sail around the south side of Culebra and anchor in ensenenda bay but this is crowded and noisy. Make sure you visit by taxi Playa Flaminco. A absolutely stunning beach with old military tank ruins. From Culebra sail west then north along the south side to Culibrita. Beautiful horseshoe shaped beach with a well protected anchorage. Follow the path to the light house ruins and check out the ground that appears to be moving....it is. Hundreds of hermit crabs just west of the trail by the west side beach.
Leaving Culibrita sail SW to the west side of Viequez. Anchor at greens beach overnight. Another beautiful beach and a nice walk. Continue along the south coast heading east to the main town...enceneda harbor maybe? I forget. Nice restaurants but don't leave anything in the dinghy....some petty theft goes on here sometimes. Do the evening kayak trip with one of the outfitters to the bio bay. This is really cool especially on a moonless night.
No need to worry about being robbed or boarded. I never locked my boat and nothing was ever missing in the 2 years I sailed there. Relax, no worries and you will have a great time. If you happen to visit Marina Puerto Chico check out the great restaurant there. Run by Izzy and Charlie. Also ask for captain bill...another great guy and full of local information. Say hello from Dennis on MAZU. Fair winds.....
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 13:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Been sailing the BVI, USVI, french west indies and the windwards and grenadines , and the Abacos, Bahamas, for 35 years, and never had a problem. But , that was prior to Irma, and Marie.

We try to smart and easy, no bling, no talking about how much money that we have or how many mercedes in the garages back home. We just bring our aloha, and show respect, snorkel, sail, hike, and party down . We love the BVI.

We just have a good time, and do lock up the dink and the vessel when going ashore.

However, there have been some problems on some of the BVI, and they have initiated crewfews , and brought in military police, and rounded up the prisoners who escaped from the jail house / prison on Tortola. I would imagine that they have most of that under control.

We had planned another bare boat charter, # 17 for the BVI , this may 2018. But, we looked at the situation, and decided to let it slide until 2019 to have the locals get all of their stuff together, and rebuild, and peoples homes replaced, and back to their jobs.

Plus, we love the BVI and the people and did not want to personally witness the destruction. they are doing their absolute best to Stand BVI Strong, bless everyone of them.

We, just do not want to personally observe the devistation and the conditions of people just trying to find shelter and eat .

Not that we would be in danger, sailing the BVI, but it actually hurts our hearts to see what they are gong thru, and some of our fave beach places gone.

This year 2018 , we are passing on our sailing vacation in the BVI, and heading back to our home island of Kauai, hawaii, to see friends, and have a grand time exploring the garden island.

Again, that is us, and how we personally feel in our hearts, and we intend on keeping the fun light glowing, and reuniting with our kauai friends.....for 3 weeks in june of 2018.

In 2019, we will look into sailing the BVI once again in May. Before hurricane season, and all the kids are out of school, and less crowded anchorages.

Also, not telling others what to do, only what we feel is best for us at this time, very early post Irma.

Like others have mentioned, take normal precautions, no matter where you sail .
cmon man ,, are you being serious ,, " some of our fav beach places are gone etc "... wtf man,,are you even aware of what you are saying ? milionaires attitude or what ?
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 14:22   #15
Marine Service Provider

No, no, no, you need stainless steel...also available in a 45ACP.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, security