Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 14:45   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Saba50
Re: Personal safety/security in SVI?

You have received a lot of misplaced info. We have a boat there in Tortola....we just came back from two weeks in the islands. We went everywhere, including Anegada. NO PROBLEMS. There are several BVI facebook pages you should read. People from all over the world have returned to the BVI this season. The residents are friendly and happy that the boaters are back. Positive attitudes....not sure what you have heard, but maybe those people are thinking of the days just after the hurricane. No military police in sight, curfews have been either lifted or changed. You are putting out info tht is not correct. The BVI is a safe place to go!!!!!
sandymwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 15:46   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
We live in Puerto Rico and regularly sail our Leopard 44 around the SVI. It’s a beautiful place to sail. Bottom line is everything is safe except Vieques. I would just skip it all together. No violence just dingy thefts in Vieques. All other islands are very safe with no issues at all. PM me if you need specific advice on anchorages etc
So why is security different at Vieques?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
So why is security different at Vieques?

I think the crowd is just different. Also the police don’t seem to care. Petty theft happens there all the time and dingy motors are stolen and nobody seems to care. Police don’t investigate. I personally have met five people in the last one year that have gotten their dinghy motor stolen at Esperanza in Vieques. I have been to Vieques and did not feel threatened however I probably will not sail there again unless I absolutely had to. Culebra , culebrita, Luis Pena, icacos, palamino are all beautiful islands that you can visit without having to take the risk of going to Vieques. I’ll return to Vieques when the police start taking things more seriously.
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:59   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
I think the crowd is just different. Also the police don’t seem to care. Petty theft happens there all the time and dingy motors are stolen and nobody seems to care. Police don’t investigate. I personally have met five people in the last one year that have gotten their dinghy motor stolen at Esperanza in Vieques. I have been to Vieques and did not feel threatened however I probably will not sail there again unless I absolutely had to. Culebra , culebrita, Luis Pena, icacos, palamino are all beautiful islands that you can visit without having to take the risk of going to Vieques. I’ll return to Vieques when the police start taking things more seriously.
My next door neighbor manages the Puerto Rican operations for his company and is down there frequently. He says the same. Didn't mention why but confirmed crime is much worse on Vieques than the other islands.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 17:08   #20

Boat: Beneteau 445

Agree about skipping Vieques. We were anchored at Sun Bay last February with three other boats, second morning they stole two dinghies. One dinghy was recovered without the engine and we found the other one trashed in the rocks with no engine. We filed the police report together with the new Park Ranger because someone stole his wife's belongings while at the beach.
We had a great time in Culebra and Culebrita, very nice people, beautiful beaches and good snorkeling in the south part of Culebrita. Check for north swell before going to Turtle bay.
Miguelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 19:15   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelso View Post
Agree about skipping Vieques. We were anchored at Sun Bay last February with three other boats, second morning they stole two dinghies. One dinghy was recovered without the engine and we found the other one trashed in the rocks with no engine. We filed the police report together with the new Park Ranger because someone stole his wife's belongings while at the beach.
We had a great time in Culebra and Culebrita, very nice people, beautiful beaches and good snorkeling in the south part of Culebrita. Check for north swell before going to Turtle bay.
I agree about Vieques. Beautiful place, but petty theft has been going on for years. Also agree about how nice the rest of the Spanish Virgins are.

As for the BVI, there was only a crime problem for the very first few days after Irma. The last visiting police left last week. People are fine. Security is fine. Places are getting rebuilt and re-opening, week by week. Boats are getting repaired and charter fleets are gradually building back up. Moorings/Sunsail is at about 170 boats.

It disappoints me that someone who says they really care about the BVI would not visit because they might be offended to see people coping (well, I might add) after a disaster. Wow! Talk about self absorbed. The beaches are still there. The snorkeling is great. The anchorages aren't crowded. And the single best thing anyone could do to help would be to come down and patronize the place. That's what will help rebuild it to what the OP is hoping to see in 2019. Your presence will be truly welcomed.

Please reconsider. And, thanks in advance to those who care enouogh to come.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 04:10   #22

Boat: Colgate 26

I sincerely appreciate the replies I've received so far. When we were in the SVI in January of 2017, I can absolutely confirm that Culebra gave me a strikingly different "vibe" than Vieques did...Culebra felt like a community of neighbors; Vieques felt totally different (there was a current of underlying "wildness" and a definite lack of a community feeling). I cannot provide any specific concrete instance that would prove that; it was just an undercurrent. Culebra felt 100% welcoming and safe...Vieques didn't put me at ease in that way at all.

Therefore, on this trip, we will simply skip Vieques and spend our time liesurely around Culebra. My wife and I will set aside a couple of days for volunteering to help folks on Culebra rebuild while we're there (I strongly believe in giving back), and I know that our help will only nurture the feeling of community that we felt there last year.

It is my sincere hope that the folks on Vieques can truly and completely come together and address the issues that currently face them. It is the only logical, long-term pathway forward for the island's financial and social future...folks need to realize that we as humans need each other in order to secure our long-term safety and prosperity (and that's anywhere on the planet...not just in Puerto Rico)!
jontw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 06:47   #23

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Too many people spend too much time running from something that is not chasing them!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 08:00   #24

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Too many people spend too much time running from something that is not chasing them!

So on point.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:00   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Or maybe some people are being justifiably careful and checking out the situation before jumping in.

Just good common sense to learn about the local scene before going somewhere that has a risk potential. For example, go visit Rio and wander into a favela because you didn't learn about the locale before the trip and the results could be quite bad.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 04:04   #26

Boat: Colgate 26

Quote:
Tingum, you are correct...too many people do that. It can also be said that too many people use the anonymity of the internet to give them courage to make off-hand remarks that they wouldn't otherwise make in-person during a conversation. I say that because:

-when I was 16 I did volunteer work in Mexico and was detained by, and almost murdered by, a para-military group there (I can tell you that it's surreal hearing the people who are detaining you arguing about whether to kill you or not). Tingum, may I politely ask whether anything like that has ever happened to you?

-and when I did volunteer work in Haiti, the place was absolutely crawling with well-armed corrupt military & police...one learns very quickly the places to avoid. Again Tingum, have you ever spent time in an extremely lawless area; an area where the people are desperate and literally have nothing to lose?

If you have not experienced these things as I have, may I respectfully request that you limit your comments to only those things that will be helpful & useful? I posed the original question because I wanted current, USEFUL information; your snide remark was certainly not that!
jontw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 07:23   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i enjoyed svi which in reality are usvi. have fun. stop watching dead calm before thinking on a sailing trip.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:32   #28

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Been sailing the BVI, USVI, french west indies and the windwards and grenadines , and the Abacos, Bahamas, for 35 years, and never had a problem. But , that was prior to Irma, and Marie.

We try to smart and easy, no bling, no talking about how much money that we have or how many mercedes in the garages back home. We just bring our aloha, and show respect, snorkel, sail, hike, and party down . We love the BVI.

We just have a good time, and do lock up the dink and the vessel when going ashore.

However, there have been some problems on some of the BVI, and they have initiated crewfews , and brought in military police, and rounded up the prisoners who escaped from the jail house / prison on Tortola. I would imagine that they have most of that under control.

We had planned another bare boat charter, # 17 for the BVI , this may 2018. But, we looked at the situation, and decided to let it slide until 2019 to have the locals get all of their stuff together, and rebuild, and peoples homes replaced, and back to their jobs.

Plus, we love the BVI and the people and did not want to personally witness the destruction. they are doing their absolute best to Stand BVI Strong, bless everyone of them.

We, just do not want to personally observe the devistation and the conditions of people just trying to find shelter and eat .

Not that we would be in danger, sailing the BVI, but it actually hurts our hearts to see what they are gong thru, and some of our fave beach places gone.

This year 2018 , we are passing on our sailing vacation in the BVI, and heading back to our home island of Kauai, hawaii, to see friends, and have a grand time exploring the garden island.

Again, that is us, and how we personally feel in our hearts, and we intend on keeping the fun light glowing, and reuniting with our kauai friends.....for 3 weeks in june of 2018.

In 2019, we will look into sailing the BVI once again in May. Before hurricane season, and all the kids are out of school, and less crowded anchorages.

Also, not telling others what to do, only what we feel is best for us at this time, very early post Irma.

Like others have mentioned, take normal precautions, no matter where you sail .

The problem here is the islands rely on tourism. When people avoid going after a damaging causing storm it only hurts the locals. Many small business that manage to remain open are relying on people to come to the business and when everybody has a "wait till its rebuilt" attitude the small mom and pop places fold up. This is fine if you spend all your time in the marina bars and restaurants, of course they will be up an running in no time, but the charm is in the local places which will be gone without tourism dollars. So if anyone is considering going, then go. The people there will be appreciative of your visit. there is also a good article on this in the Caribbean Compass magazine encouraging yachts and charters to still make the trip thus supporting those in need by supporting the businesses they run.
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 12:27   #29

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV
Re: Personal safety/security in USVI?

Culebra, AKA "snake island" is beautiful. There is a great church there where if you're lucky you can sit on the steps and hear the choir practice, just fantastic. Nice beaches, a wildlife preserve, some minimal hiking, good local food.

Vieques has a history. Some of the "attitude" there is left over from the days of the Naval base, which I think closed in 2003? There was a strong sense of victimization (probably based somewhat in reality) and anti american resentment (even though they are American's). Protests used to occur regularly. I would have hoped that has worn off but maybe not. Plenty of other nice places to see.

San Juan PR, big tourist destination prior to the hurricanes, gonna have your host of rip offs, pick pockets,scam artists, etc. Probably more since the hurricane.

Good resource Noonsite

Vieques — website with regularly updated information particular to cruisers and crime.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/100...-clint-emerson

Book by Navy Seal Clint Emerson. Seems hokey, but it's dirt cheap, has 15 min sections to read, and really full of great information, particular how to not look like a mark to criminals, how to evade, how to get safe and stay safe. Probably can skip all the how to dispose of a body and kill someone with a paper clip nonsense though.

Crime of opportunity is the most common in all humanity. Humans, alas we are big cowards and lazy, if we have to put effort into it, or there is a chance of being caught this scares off 90% of thieves. Don't leave easy opportunities. Lock up valuables, have situational awareness, don't wear bling, don't flash cash, don't get drunk in public, do have a reasonable curfew, don't go into remote areas, do hook up with a vetted local guide. I have been all over, Mexico, Iceland, Europe to Japan with my wife and kids never had a single issue, but I stay alert, not paranoid, but vigilant.

Crimes of desperation are bad. Even "Good" people pushed by hunger, fear, illness can't be deterred or reasoned with. I would avoid any economically distressed region that had ongoing issues with healthcare, water, food or housing.

One of the best tricks I was taught by an over zealous but smart cop was, "look around to see who's looking around" in a crowd, if you see someone scanning there're "either a cop or a criminal" . Most tourists, shop owners, street vendors, busy folks going somewhere, are focused on their task. They are looking forward, at their kids, the person they are talking too, something close. Criminals scan crowds, marinas, or any place people gather looking for marks, scan back, see who is looking at you.

Don't be sheep, be the sheepdog, the wolves recognize the difference right away.
DockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 16:44   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazu View Post
The problem here is the islands rely on tourism. When people avoid going after a damaging causing storm it only hurts the locals. Many small business that manage to remain open are relying on people to come to the business and when everybody has a "wait till its rebuilt" attitude the small mom and pop places fold up. This is fine if you spend all your time in the marina bars and restaurants, of course they will be up an running in no time, but the charm is in the local places which will be gone without tourism dollars. So if anyone is considering going, then go. The people there will be appreciative of your visit. there is also a good article on this in the Caribbean Compass magazine encouraging yachts and charters to still make the trip thus supporting those in need by supporting the businesses they run.
I am in total agreement. Refusing to come until it is more pleasing to the eye hinders it ever becoming so. How will the islands accomplish that, without any income? The BVI had a few problems for a few days, period. Curfews were principally to get people off the roads so that clearing could be undertaken. The curfew was cut way back early on, and was lifted completely in December. Troops have been gone for months. Every prisoner save one was caught in short order. Many returned on their own. They had escaped/been let out (Not really clear) during the hurricane when the jail became dangerously damaged.

Smart to be safe, but not to be paranoid.

Come visit the BVI. Your business will be most appreciated by those who inhabit these islands the OP says he loves.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, security