Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 07:56   #31

Re: People just don't get it - a bit frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much does your basic MRI cost in the US? We just paid for one from a private provider here in Canada & paid $835 CAD.
We are not quite sure what it costs.

The wife just had an MRI a month or so ago. I checked the EOB(Explanation of Benefits) which is to, well, explain the bill. There were about a half dozen "services" done and all are listed as Hospital Services. One was about $3,500 and the other was around $1,000.

But, we don't pay full amount since we have insurance. The insurance policy/contract will only pay abut 45% of those prices, so either $1,575 or $500. We had to change insurance plans this year because the policy we have had for years simply became too expensive. On last years policy, most/all of the MRI would have been covered. We might be on the hook for the full, allowed payment, on the current policy.

It is more complicated, of course than this, but at some point and it looks like it might happen much sooner, rather than later, we will have hit our deductible maximums and we won't have to pay anymore. I would rather not hit those maximums but the wife's shoulder is in bad shape.

Notice, I really don't know how much the MRI cost because it was called Hospital Services. The hospital could have billed my wife for a vasectomy and I would not know. Calling and asking how much a procedure costs is a waste of time since the hospital points to the insurance company and vice versa. The problem is not the insurance company, the hospital should be able to tell me how much a procedure will cost but they can't or wont.

People in the US find it hard to believe the simplicity, costs and quality of care that exists in some countries.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:12   #32

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

And the really odd thing- Many of us from outside the USA can't understand how you put up with the place. Great people lousy country and crazy ideas.
So don't worry if people in a mad house think you are mad, it means you are sane!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:23   #33

The only things I regret are the trips/events/etc that I considered but did not do. The only things I worry/think about are the trips/events/etc that can still do but haven't yet.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:35   #34

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Here is one more vote for not caring what other people think about your plans (unless they have actual relevant skills or experience).
Most people live their entire lives within a narrow and artificial comfort zone, based around consumption, debt, etc. They may well get uncomfortable if you make them think about such things. Their natural defense will often be to mock any alternative ideas, try to keep you from proceeding, and so on.
This is cognitive dissonance - the brain defending its previously established beliefs, whatever the cost.
Ignore them!
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:37   #35

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Going to USVI for water sailing">Blue Water Sailing class this month and renting a condo for a week to do some diving. Our plan is to have everything sold (rentals) in 3 years, then retire and leave. The kids (all four of them) think it is fantastic! Only one parent left, mom who never thought we would do it, thought we were crazy and just talking for the past 3 years. Well, now she is getting scared that we will really do it and she will be left here with just my brother. She is 90 and I currently live across the street from her. Pirates, storms, etc. etc. they don't see the relaxation in it and the beauty. We don't see the work. Best advice given here is to tell no one and then just go and send them a postcard.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:39   #36

I was attacked by a dog in Panama and had to go to the hospital. Emergency room, doctor, first aid, medication, All done quickly at the Hospital d'Americas for the grand amount of $28US. If you have a dream, go for it. It takes a special person to cruise not a lot of money.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:48   #37

What struck me as odd, is nearly all of my friends talked of how much fun it sounded like to go sailing in the warm clear water of the tropics. But when I invited them down I had few takers. Only 4 couples in ten years could get it together to fly down and go sailing for a week or ten days. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:06   #38

Boat: Cape Dory 36

I am now nearing the opening of my retirement window in 1 year. I realize it not the money that is the issue but the idea of not working( or competing) or being a significant player in my field. I cannot wrap my mind around the idea. Even fantasies of docking in Simpson Bay and hanging out at the Simpson's Bay Yacht Club are not enough to motivate me to retire yet.
KHJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:28   #39

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Lots of great comments here. Thanks, everyone.

We definitely won't be dissuaded no matter what anyone thinks, and if we can do it in less than 6 years and 3 months (but who's counting?) we will.

Our plan for health insurance is to continue on with my employer's plan until we slip the nation's boundaries. We'll get a catastrophic plan if we think we may return to the U.S., but at this point we're not planning on doing so. We don't have any kids, so there's no real need to come back. That's partially why I find posts detailing health costs to be so interesting. We figure while we're "out there" we'll take note of places that we could see ourselves living when we are unable to cruise anymore, and that's where we'll ultimately end up.

In the meantime we'll keep learning, doing our research to figure out the "big boat", and most importantly, saving.

I definitely feel like if people don't understand, that's their problem. It's just a bit frustrating on occasion to feel like a stranger in a strange land, so to speak. It's nice to have forums like this where we can feel like we're among "our peeps."

Thanks again.
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:33   #40

Boat: Liberty 458

We tell people we live a simpler life but we dont give up any of the luxury that they have on land.

We use less than 10 gallons of water a day, we generate much less trash and we generate our own electricity.

We clinch the sales pitch by telling them how much cheaper it is living off the grid.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:33   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Don't wait 6 years.
X10

They won't get it. Don't beat your head against a wall. Just accept it and move on. Most people didn't even believe we were going...until we were gone.

Like someone else mentioned, lots of people say it sounds great but very few actually come to visit.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:49   #42

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The reality of healthcare. Don't worry about it, nobody outside the USA really does! But some facts. Healthcare costs about 1/5 as much anywhere outside the USA. Most health problems are caused by lifstyle so they dissapear when you change to the cruising life. You are going to die sometime, do you want to spend what time you have enjoying life of worrying about what happens when you eventually get sick and die? So a sensible idea is to take what it costs in the US and plan on it costing about 10% of that. Start changing you lifestyle now not when you move on board, get fit, eat well, simplify life and reduce stress. The biggest danger in a 5-10 year plan in your 50's is that you will push yourself so hard to get the money for the boat and cruising kitty that you will make yourself so ill and exhausted that you never get to go!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:56   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Mr. cthoops and I have decided we're casting off the lines when he's 62 - 6 years and 3 months from now (yes, we'll have a bigger boat). If we're lucky it will be a bit sooner, but it definitely won't be later. Without getting into specifics, we should have enough money for us. More than some cruisers, less than others.

I made the mistake of sharing our plan with my father, who immediately said we didn't have enough money to do it. He was basing his opinion on his own experiences post-retirement, but he has no experience with sailing or boating, and has zero concept of cruising. I didn't feel like spending hours educating him on the cruising life, or an equal amount of time talking about what Mr. cthoops and I value, so I just said that we've done our research and I let him talk. I also made a mental note not to mention it again until our departure is imminent.

My conversation with him was a sharp reality check that most people just don't get it. Like most of us I suspect, I spend a fair amount of time on sailing forums and reading cruising blogs, books, etc. It's easy to forget that "society" doesn't think what we're planning to do is "normal." Choosing not to mindlessly consume, not to work until we drop, to purposefully live with less both now and especially when we head out - is considered strange at best. And that's not even accounting for the health care issue. The idea that many, many people outside of the United States have very good health care for a fraction of the cost is unfathomable to most Americans. Even my friends who are supportive of our plans ask "What about health care?", and when my response mentions self-pay they look at me like I have two heads.

I just finished a conversation with someone that reminded me once again that people just don't get it. And then a small part of me wonders if I'm being overly optimistic and foolish. But then I remind myself that I'm not. We're doing what works for us - not necessarily anyone else.

I'm a bit frustrated (although I'm sure this never-ending winter isn't helping), and I just wanted to vent someplace where many people DO get it.

Thanks.
Go with your heart but GO ! I spent 3 years getting to Australia from Buffalo and it will be the best memories I will take to my grave. Met many great cruisers and live aboard sailors.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:09   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much does your basic MRI cost in the US? We just paid for one from a private provider here in Canada & paid $835 CAD.

Yes, it always amazes us how uninformed many Americans are about health care elsewhere in the world. No need to say more with this crowd.
It amazes ME how uniformed my fellow Americans are about everything!

I have Medicare and a supplement that covers what Medicare doesn't cover. I had a few cardiac procedures, one open heart surgery. A friend who had no insurance is still trying to live around his bill of $60,000.00; while I paid $0. Yup, nothing. It was all covered.

Ps
MRI costs $1,600.00 in the US. Mine's paid by my insurance.
I don't know if this thread is about Medical coverage as a liveaboard or 56 year-olds running away from home.

Another friend was living aboard and when he started to feel dizzy, at age 68, after three years aboard; he thought it might be time to sell the boat and live on shore. He began to fall, when the boat rocked and bucked when he didn't before. Health wise, he thought it was time to give it up.

I look at those moments like a 'high' and just grab onto a strut. But, I like 'sea-legs' and that's one of the reasons I'm on the ocean.

To engage your father with his advice is the best, because you want to get away, but don't, believe me, don't try to leave your family behind. Unless, of course, if you're being physically abused. I'm sure in Connecticut, your dad has opportunities to go out on boats. Maybe try to get him out on yours? Just plan a fun day. If that doesn't work, take a hammer to his feet and just above the arches and he won't be able to chase you.

Or not.

I don't get it. Why do you need other people to agree? I don't agree with you. It's expensive to live aboard. You save on the one hand, but keeping that black tie and tux cleaned makes up for the other stuff from life on land.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:40   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJackson View Post
I am now nearing the opening of my retirement window in 1 year. I realize it not the money that is the issue but the idea of not working( or competing) or being a significant player in my field. I cannot wrap my mind around the idea. Even fantasies of docking in Simpson Bay and hanging out at the Simpson's Bay Yacht Club are not enough to motivate me to retire yet.
Same last name doesn't give me any privileges, but...

Buy a boat. That'll keep you competing with all the things that need to be maintained and fixed. Really.

If you already have a boat, what you said means you're not using it enough. My buddy once told me: "The reason we use the boat at least once a week is to make sure we keep up with the list of things that need to be addressed." Heck, if you're not using it, you won't know what needs being fixed.

Last week went cruising, anchored out for two nights. Water rising in bilge. Needed new float switch.

Just another week in paradise.

Also, I'm sure there are books if not even website devopted to how to deal with your issue, which is really life threatening.

Think of it this way, Mr. Competitive: If you left tomorrow, who'd care? Really.

I've worked in an industry for 45 years. No one in my old company after 25 years really cared that I left and started my own consulting firm, 20 years of success on my own ("The boss sucks and the staff is horrible!).

Now, it's great when I can look forward to time without business interruptions. If somebody calls and asks for me, I'll help, but I enjoy my own time, sailing, just as much now as when I was 9-5, but I still took every Friday afternoon off for 20 years!

YOU have to make it work for you.

Good luck, happy research, you're alone in the duck-duck-go world. Please, for your own sake, get out of it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote