Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 13:35   #16

Re: Owner puts boats to block anchorage in Miami

This is an interesting link.

http://bloggingtheicw.blogspot.com/2...-right-to.html

Seems the neighbors there really want this to be their private anchorage.

I wonder if the currently proposed rules would eliminate any anchoring in front of this guy's house.

This reminds me of the hotels and townhouses on the beaches of Florida who put fences around their part of the beach. "Their part of the beach" is legally all the beach between their lot and the mean high tide, which means the public has very little place to put their beach chairs. It's really obnoxious.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 13:40   #17

Another interesting article on this.

Florida: The Most Cruiser Unfriendly State? (VIDEO) | | PassageMaker
Old 04-02-2015, 13:56   #18

Too funny. The guy is clearly an idiot and his method pointless but it's pretty hypocritical to complain about him having free rights to use the anchorage without rule or encomberance when that is exactly what we see demanded on other threads.

Either there can be reasonable rules or it's a free for all.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 14:37   #19
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Most cruisers anchor on the other side of the causeway. We anchor south of Belle Isle. No residences there, and good protection north through southeast. Easy dinghy ride to the Publix dock up the canal, and many other stores. Why would anyone want to anchor in Sunset Lake? There is a cable area, and piles shown on the chart. Actually, looking at the chart, I wonder if the mad owner is trying to keep jet ski/water skiing traffic down?

I never enjoy being anchored near homes anyway, and usually there is an alternative, from what I've seen....and we've anchored from Pensacola on the west coast to Fernandina Beach on the east coast. Three we use, close to residences - Cape Haze, Lake Sylvia, and Delray Beach.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 15:20   #20

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I think there is a point of view missing here. You have a homeowner who has spent considerable money to buy and enjoy a nice house, only to have a few bad apples walk naked on their boats only a few yards away, play loud music, party late at night, and relieve themselves in his bushes. Maybe its not you who has done these things, but, it only takes one or two people to ruin it for the rest.
I used to own a place like the gentleman in question. If you were woken every summer by drunks and potheads arguing on your front porch in the middle of the night you might have a different understanding.
Where I am now, sometimes people park in front of my house and have a picnic or fish off my dock. I don't get angry. I just present them with a bill for $500 and they leave right away.
Old 04-02-2015, 21:23   #21
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
I think there is a point of view missing here. You have a homeowner who has spent considerable money to buy and enjoy a nice house, only to have a few bad apples walk naked on their boats only a few yards away, play loud music, party late at night, and relieve themselves in his bushes. Maybe its not you who has done these things, but, it only takes one or two people to ruin it for the rest.
I used to own a place like the gentleman in question. If you were woken every summer by drunks and potheads arguing on your front porch in the middle of the night you might have a different understanding.
Where I am now, sometimes people park in front of my house and have a picnic or fish off my dock. I don't get angry. I just present them with a bill for $500 and they leave right away.
I understand what you are saying, but unfortunately what these homeowners are experiencing is the price one has to pay when deciding to share a backyard with potentially the entire boating population. As for the bad apples? That is why we have laws and law enforcement officers. If someone is breaking the law, call the police.

Florida's beautiful anchorages and crystal clear water belong to everyone, not just the wealthy who can afford to live alongside it.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 21:31   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
I understand what you are saying, but unfortunately what these homeowners are experiencing is the price one has to pay when deciding to share a backyard with potentially the entire boating population. As for the bad apples? That is why we have laws and law enforcement officers. If someone is breaking the law, call the police.

Florida's beautiful anchorages and crystal clear water belong to everyone, not just the wealthy who can afford to live alongside it.
Ironically, this guy might actually get what he is asking for... a managed mooring field in his back yard. What a great place to shack up for a few weeks.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 22:03   #23
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Ironically, this guy might actually get what he is asking for... a managed mooring field in his back yard. What a great place to shack up for a few weeks.
That would be hilarious.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:47   #24

We should organize a group raft up say 30-40 boats for a weekend. Who's in?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:50   #25

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Managed mooring field would be great. Then people would know they were held to a certain standard of civilized behavior.
In reality, calling the police is not a remedy. Unless a felony is committed, blood split or it is domestic violence, the police will do nothing as they don't want to have to file a report. Maybe they will tell the offenders to leave and that is it. They will be back next week or season, now with an attitude. And by the time the police come, your day is already ruined.
I forgot to mention the dog owners; they are the worst. Its not just the excrement, it is letting their dogs loose to chase after your kids. I know its hilarious for some dog owners. "My dog does not bite." Tell that to a three year old when a dog is chasing him, barking. There the responsible dog owners who walk their doberman on the beach (no dogs allowed by law, but who cares?) , all the time straining at the leash. Will that 100 pound lady be able to hold back her attack dog, or should I bring my kids inside to be safe?
I know I am venting a little here. But its just like cruisers get upset at people anchoring over them or running the genset all night, except that you cannot move your house to get away from selfish people.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:20   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
I think there's more of a issue that he should do it the same, lawn solar is not a legal anchor light according to fmp and I don't think there registered
I was thinking the same thing, but got to DotDun's take on it before I read it... Don't need to be registered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
been to a Med anchorage lately !!!, plenty go room tho anchor in amongst the lasers , put out a few fenders etc
what problem ?
HA! RIGHT!!! Plenty of room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled.
Here's what a hypothetical solution might be... Find an old giant MV with high freeboard and a tuna tower... Oh yea... This vessel also has a REALLY suspect shaft coupling...

Do a slow pass at night to the closest dim and not regulation lit boat... and "accidentally" get wrapped on the dingy rode.. Yanking a shaft out...

Viola.... half submerged anchorage decoration... Sue his pants off...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:20   #27

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Managed mooring field would be great. Then people would know they were held to a certain standard of civilized behavior.
In reality, calling the police is not a remedy. Unless a felony is committed, blood split or it is domestic violence, the police will do nothing as they don't want to have to file a report. Maybe they will tell the offenders to leave and that is it. They will be back next week or season, now with an attitude. And by the time the police come, your day is already ruined.
I forgot to mention the dog owners; they are the worst. Its not just the excrement, it is letting their dogs loose to chase after your kids. I know its hilarious for some dog owners. "My dog does not bite." Tell that to a three year old when a dog is chasing him, barking. There the responsible dog owners who walk their doberman on the beach (no dogs allowed by law, but who cares?) , all the time straining at the leash. Will that 100 pound lady be able to hold back her attack dog, or should I bring my kids inside to be safe?
I know I am venting a little here. But its just like cruisers get upset at people anchoring over them or running the genset all night, except that you cannot move your house to get away from selfish people.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Actually, venting quite a lot! You've repeatedly tried to justify this guys obnoxious behavior by mentioning lots of other obnoxious behavior that the vast majority of cruisers don't participate in. Of course having someone come ON your property and their dog chasing your kid around would be very rude and inappropriate. But to moor a bunch of boats you don't intend to use out in front of your house to keep ALL cruisers away even though probably only a very small percentage of us ever do anything like the objectionable behaviors you've mentioned is ridiculous behavior. He does NOT own the ocean in front of his house. If someone "parks" there and then violates local noise ordinances or laws regarding public nudity or trespasses on his property or doesn't control his dog properly, etc., then he should call the local police and ask them to enforce the law.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:30   #28

For this guy, it's pretty clearly a control issue. He bought waterfront, but wants to control the water and view in front of his house. The only question is over how much water the public will allow him to control.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:49   #29

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Just like with the republicans and Democrats, there seem to be two extreme sides to this issue. One side would outlaw anchoring a boat within sight of a residence and the other side would allow anchoring of anything that's currently floating indefinitely.

It seems to me that there is a middle ground somewhere where boats not in danger of sinking and capable of moving under their own power should be allowed to anchor for a set period of time, perhaps 30 days and a certain distance from a residence, perhaps 300 yards.

Laws such as this would protect the cruiser's right to anchor his/her boat while cruising and also protect landowners and other citizens from having to look at junked boats until they sink and from unnecessary noise and unruly behavior.

From my marina dock I used to have a nice view of the river. Someone figured out that they could store their sailboat downriver from the marina and put a dinghy in at the public boat ramp to access it. Someone else saw the sailboat and they did the same only it didn't have a mast and had to be towed into place. Then another sailboat, then a junky looking old trawler. Some of these boats dragged anchor and ended up against the marina dock, some in the marsh. The trawler capsized and broke up in the marsh. As of last week there were two sailboats stuck in the marsh, the dismasted sailboat and another sailboat still anchored, a thirty year old bow rider and something I can't identify still anchored and a home made shack on a pontoon boat frame with a 55 gallon drum on the roof for "solar hot water. At least I don't have to see this every day, only when I'm at the marina.

So I can easily see both sides of the situation.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:01   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Crosis,
Why not simply confiscate the "douchebags" homes and give them to "The People" thereby negating any future problems from these rapacious, wealthy homeowners? "The People" always know better than any private citizen since they represent the general good and humble masses. Then, you could allow whomever wanted to anchor in that area (with any vessel) unlimited access. And, who better to represent the people than those selfsame government officials mentioned above who have been elected to promote the public good. I really think you're on to something here . . . Power to the People! Comrade Rognvald--Illinois Chapter of the Red Brigade
Well Slapnuts, there is a far cry between confiscating homes as you so childishly assert I am for and telling land owners they do not and will not ever own water. Frankly the fact you even wrote that means you do feel they own the water. I bet you are own a waterfront home and feel you own the water behind your house. Guess what. You don't and your money does not give you any rights or powers over the poor.

I will take a nice trip to visit my family in Miami and will go in the night and cut every one of those derelict boats free. See what you rich douches can do about it.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, miami