Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2016, 22:54   #121

Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You seem to misunderstand that many folks are hardwired out of the cradle to become poets but happen to live in an era where they don't get paid.
And some antelope are hard wired to love and cuddle with lions. Do you know what they are called?

Dinner.

If you have poetic hardwiring and don't overcome it or translate it into an in demand skill, expect to be poor. Poetry has never been a viable mass market career choice. Likely never will be. It's a hobby. Sure you can list out some famous poets or other artists but along with sports stars and the kardashians, you are talking about the exception rather than the rule.
Old 16-04-2016, 06:54   #122

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And some antelope are hard wired to love and cuddle with lions. Do you know what they are called?

Dinner.

If you have poetic hardwiring and don't overcome it or translate it into an in demand skill, expect to be poor. Poetry has never been a viable mass market career choice. Likely never will be. It's a hobby. Sure you can list out some famous poets or other artists but along with sports stars and the kardashians, you are talking about the exception rather than the rule.
I used the word poets instead of artists because I'm a crappy writer. i'm a tech type.

Point is the world would be a pretty boring place without artists be they writers, musicians, or painters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Cat God.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	122731  
Old 16-04-2016, 09:34   #123

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure poets must end up poor.

I am not sure poetry is like a hobby. I think good poetry is a passion and a calling, not a pastime.

Good sailing is passion, as is good cruising. Not many of us are paid for what we do. But we are not really poor, are we, not even those on the lowest budget, as long as we are sailing, cruising and dreaming.

The same applies to poetry.

There is a lot of poetry in technology. A well designed boat is a poetry. A well built one becomes a poem.

I think poets may hope to fare well in this world.

b.
Old 16-04-2016, 11:08   #124

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Quote:
A 100 yards? And you are bragging about it?

In the Marines, we used to qualify from 200 meters, 300 meters, and 500 meters. Many who have never fired a weapon in their lives were the best shots. Artists are probably the best being laid back hippy types.

They can put 10 rounds into a 1" circle without a problem from those distances. Why? They didn't develop bad habits learning from Dad or on their own. They learned from professionals. They were in art class after school not out shooting deer and squirrels with the rest of us rednecks

Think about this. Marines spend a week just snapping in (practice firing 8 hours per day without ammo, site picture, site picture, site picture) and getting their slings correct. When your sling is correct, it will cut off the circulation to your hand. You could cut off your hand and not feel it. They believe in a tight sling!

Then a week shooting and switching targets. Working under and behind the targets

I was deadly at 500 yards slow fire, prone position............

Get a life.

Wasn't trying to brag sorry it came across that way. Was just pointing out that some Americans view gun control as hitting the target.
Yes I could use some practice, I was but a squid and only get to shoot maybe once every couple of months due to work.

Now if you're offering some time coaching... There would be beer in it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-04-2016, 11:30   #125

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Wasn't trying to brag sorry it came across that way. Was just pointing out that some Americans view gun control as hitting the target.
Yes I could use some practice, I was but a squid and only get to shoot maybe once every couple of months due to work.

Now if you're offering some time coaching... There would be beer in it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ha!

I was talking my shooting in the 70's!

I'd be lucky even to hit any part of the target at 500 yards today without another two weeks of training. (breathing, sling, site picture, the positions, site settings, etc)

I'm mean we knew our windage settings back in the day so we could adjust our rear site as the wind increased or decreased. (especially at 500 yards)

Front site got adjusted as we moved back from 200 yards, to 300 yards, to 500 yards.

We used the M16. I was too late for the M14

Marine Corps Weapons Qualification Course | Military.com
Old 16-04-2016, 12:35   #126

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am not sure poetry is like a hobby. I think good poetry is a passion and a calling, not a pastime.

Good sailing is passion, as is good cruising. Not many of us are paid for what we do. But we are not really poor, are we, not even those on the lowest budget, as long as we are sailing, cruising and dreaming.

b.

Completely agree. Choices then...... personally, I turned down full scholarships three times in two decades in three different engineering fields. Hopefully those went to someone worthy.

Put myself through junior college, then served in the military (when there were no edu benefits), and eventually worked my way through an advanced Architecture degree and stumbled into a career in academia.

Took me a few years to realize I had failed in my effort to avoid success, and the stress. But I came back around to following my heart, and cashed out, and bought a boat. Where I belong.

Luckily along the way I learned the skills for keeping the boat going. And have no regrets as I sit here watching the annual cardboard boat races.

I'm very wealthy in fact. In the ways that matter to me.

And I even have almost two hundred dollars, too. Woohoo!
Old 16-04-2016, 13:27   #127
JFN

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
I am not sure poets must end up poor.

The same applies to poetry.

There is a lot of poetry in technology. A well designed boat is a poetry. A well built one becomes a poem.

I think poets may hope to fare well in this world.

b.
I don't think there would be much good art if it was just a hobby. I know that in this economy making money and art is a very difficult proposition. But I also know that the world I live in is a better place because there are people who are driven by the passion for their art. I'm very grateful for them.
Old 18-04-2016, 04:59   #128

Quote:
I used the word poets instead of artists because I'm a crappy writer. i'm a tech type.

Point is the world would be a pretty boring place without artists be they writers, musicians, or painters
My comments covered art in general not just poetry.

I agree the world would be worse without art but that in no way suggests you should get a big paycheck unless someone want to pay you for your art. Until someone voluntarily pays you for your art, it's a hobby. Lots of people are very passionate about their hobbies but just because you are very passionate about building large balls of twine, doesn't mean you will or should be paid for building large balls of twine.

Michelangelo's Sistine chapel one of the all time artistic masterpieces. It wasn't done because he had a passion for it. It was a contract job that he was pressured into doing.

I challenge you to show me a time in history when there was career path for artists making above average wages without a strong capitalist influence supporting it.
Old 18-04-2016, 07:06   #129

Boat: a sailing boat

As we got so deep into poetry and arts, I found this image while learning yesterday.

These are the Nereids who accompany Poseidon. Painted long ago by Gaston Busierre. One of the pictures I would hang on my yacht or in my house.

Cheers,
b
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nereids.jpg
Views:	1903
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	122789  
Old 18-04-2016, 08:19   #130
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I challenge you to show me a time in history when there was career path for artists making above average wages without a strong capitalist influence supporting it.

Without the evil 1%...the Artist has no patrons.

So have you thanked a 1%-er today?
Or are you "Feeling the Bern" ready to burn those evil 1%-ers out, along with it the folks that depend on them?
How did that Luxury Yacht Tax work out intended to soak the evil rich, the rich were fine, but the middle class Americans who build the Yachts were crushed...thanks again the meddling hand of Government.
Old 18-04-2016, 08:50   #131

Without the evil 1% the dead Artist has no patrons.

Fixed it for you

Your argument relies on a definition of Art so narrow as to be laughable.

Interesting how apologists for the super-rich think that bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping argument like this will go unchallenged.

Deluded enough to believe themselves the smartest in the room perhaps?
Old 18-04-2016, 08:52   #132
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

What I love is that I'm now an apologist for the super rich...
I like that title...does it comes with a patch or lapel pin?

When will the poor start paying their fair share?
45% of Americans pay no federal income tax - MarketWatch

Sometimes you have to be challenged or you get intellectually lazy.

As for being the smartest in the room...na...I save that for those that name call without advancing an argument...it's more funner that way. I'm just a simple Bozo liveaboard cruiser that knows the lie about the evil 1% is just that....a lie to make you ignore the truth.

Some pigs are more equal than others...in that case....Go Bernie...
Old 18-04-2016, 09:49   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, guys let leave politics out of it
We can do that, right?
Old 18-04-2016, 09:54   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK, guys let leave politics out of it
We can do that, right?
So the only "politics" here is in the posts you just deleted????
Old 18-04-2016, 09:59   #135

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
As we got so deep into poetry and arts, I found this image while learning yesterday.

These are the Nereids who accompany Poseidon. Painted long ago by Gaston Busierre. One of the pictures I would hang on my yacht or in my house.

Cheers,
b
Is there an anchor on the bottom in that picture?

Ah.. the picture didn't copy....
Closed Thread