Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2016, 21:52   #46
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Social justice or mobility doesn't really seem to be a concern in the US, it would seem.

It used to be here in Australia but now even our Labor party is right wing, like your Democrats. In fact, according to policy position, the ONLY current presidential candidate with politics left of centre is Bernie!

The Political Compass

#feelthebern
Old 13-04-2016, 21:57   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Hogwash!

What if you are a talented artist? or writer? That cannot find a job

Artist's are not paid the way a low level Computer Tech is. And many tech's cannot write at all. Or play music, paint, etc

It's just the nature of the beast these days.

Try not to be so narrow minded........
If you want to daub paint on canvas any way you feel like it, or scribble out novels, sure you generally aren't looking at a great income. But that's a lifestyle choice. Very few people have the luxury of indulging in a passion and getting paid for it.

But there are plenty of productive jobs for people with artistic or writing skills in all sorts of fields.

Web designers are paid better than low level Computer techs.

And signwriting generally pays pretty well too if you want to combine artistry with writing
Old 13-04-2016, 22:02   #48
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I think you need to be careful about labelling artists and telling them they make bad choices or whatever. If you think about what sort of society you want to live in; is it full of capitalists trying to make millions and all that entails? Especially given that a business exists and is legally obliged to create profit for its shareholders ... plenty of corners get cut that make for a poorer society overall.

Or do you want to have museums, galleries, books to read, theatre to go to and so on? If you think that benefits society as a whole, you need to cut artists some slack.
Old 14-04-2016, 02:24   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Lucky that you went when you did because quite soon it will be an oven. It's similar to Winter up here with folks staying indoors

Also, if you did have a place down there on the water, it still gets old after a while and you'd be inside arguing with folks on CF about which is the best sail to use in a certain situation or some such.

I believe a few CF'ers from up this way will soon be heading down there. Many will spend the summer months docked at a marina with the ac maxed out.
It's exactly like this already.
Old 14-04-2016, 05:07   #50

I don't come here for brainless political rants. STOP IT! PLEASE!

(Or at least move it to the appropriate sub-forum, so that I can ignore it.)
Old 14-04-2016, 05:23   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
What cracks me up is fast food workers on TV protesting.Trying to raise 5 kids on their wages.How about not having 5 kids until you get a real job.Wait, thats all they know.The minimum wage in my day was to bring youth into the workforce ,and teach them a little something until they finish school.I don't feel sorry for people on min wage in general.Should have made better decisions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

At least a few people here understand reality.
Old 14-04-2016, 05:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

You can ignore it here. The thread is about high property costs and we are discussing how that came to be.
Old 14-04-2016, 05:28   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I think you need to be careful about labelling artists and telling them they make bad choices or whatever. If you think about what sort of society you want to live in; is it full of capitalists trying to make millions and all that entails? Especially given that a business exists and is legally obliged to create profit for its shareholders ... plenty of corners get cut that make for a poorer society overall.

Or do you want to have museums, galleries, books to read, theatre to go to and so on? If you think that benefits society as a whole, you need to cut artists some slack.
I actually am (or was) an "artist". A musician and singer to be specific. I worked for several years full time at it. Then I realized that with a wife and child I needed to get a "real job" so I could provide my family with some security.

That's what I'm talking about when I talk about making good choices.
Old 14-04-2016, 05:35   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Wow, your logic totally escapes me. Yes, I agree, more than $15.00 an hour would be better. But the working poor can't even get that. Any increase is gradually going to have be worked in. There is a certain element in this country who believe that entry level jobs like McDonalds deserve minimum wage. McDonalds is not an entry level job. The average worker age at McDonalds is something like 35. It is middle-class America who are subsidizing fat-cat ultra-rich families like the Wal-Mart family through well-fare and other government relief programs.
Again, the "working poor" are poor because that's all their skills are worth. If they are working at a fast food restaurant it's because they don't know how to do anything that will bring a higher wage. Again, this is their choice.

Explain to the class where this $15 or more per hour is going to come from?
Old 14-04-2016, 07:13   #55

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

Please explain to me how it cannot include politics since they are the one proposing the increase? One party is for and one is against, so it's going to be a hot topic. Don't worry, it will fizzle out soon enough.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-04-2016, 07:15   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Explain to the class where this $15 or more per hour is going to come from?

I too started out not as an Artist, but Drag racing motorcycles professionally, decided I wanted to get Married and Drag racing wasn't going to provide her the living I wanted to be able to, eventually ended up in the Army.

But, I was lucky, I wont go into details, but it could easily not have worked out for me, one drug conviction for example I believe closes many doors.
Many get trapped for lack of a better word and can't escape, and some don't want any better. We see some of these people in anchorages, and many are happy and want to live like they do.

But, I take it the assumption behind this living wage thing is to give people a job that will make enough for them to live on, then they won't need public assistance, that would pay for it.
I believe its more complex than that, but I do agree with the concept, I believe that a feeling of self worth is very important.

I believe without being Political at all, that at some time in the past people were ashamed if they had to take a hand out, and maybe the WPA and other tings were created so that they didn't have to take a hand out.
But that seems to have changed, we live in a different world than our Grandparents.

But to get back on track, South Fl waterfront property is seemingly for the wealthy, for those of us who are not, then maybe we need to look elsewhere to live?
I don't know where I will eventually end up after swallowing the anchor, it may not be in the US though, I suspect it won't be.

Truth be known, a large reason I want to cruise is to travel and pick that place, cruising seems to be an affordable way to spend extended time in different countries, and without actually living in a place for awhile, how do you know that is where you want to settle down?

On edit, we can have this conversation without Politics, cause we can't have it with Politics
Old 14-04-2016, 08:41   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

A64,

There are still some places where you can find cheap land down island, but even there it isn't all that cheap anymore. Try finding a waterfront lot in the Bahamas, or Jamaica, or the BVI and you are going to be pretty close to the prices of Florida, maybe not the keys, but still.

A nice sized lot near my mothers house, on the water in Jamaica, will run about $300,000, and local building prices are about $100/sq foot.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 14-04-2016, 08:46   #58

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I hear land is cheap in Syria.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-04-2016, 08:58   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess my answer could be there are other places than the Caribbean?
Who knows, I am not saying it exists, it may be a unicorn, but I'll enjoy the search, we may come back home to Fl to retire, but maybe not.
Old 14-04-2016, 08:59   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I hear land is cheap in Syria.
I didn't leave anything in South West Asia, I can assure you.
Closed Thread