Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 13:05   #16

Boat: Gulf 32
Re: Newbie looking for recommendations for shallow docking.

You'll obviously want something with a retractable keel to go that shallow. Some things to keep in mind as you think about which boats would work for you:

1) Swing keel vs centerboard. A centerboard is lightweight, all it does is provide lateral resistance when sailing, easy to move up and down by hand, ballast on centerboard boats is generally in the low part of the hull often in a "stub" keel (our Nimble 20 - for sale BTW ;-) draws 11" with centerboard up), bonus is if the centerboard bolt fails and the board falls off you haven't lost your ballast and might not immediately capsize. Swing keel is like a centerboard but very heavy, it provides the lateral resistance of a centerboard but is also the source of all (or most) of the ballast for that hull, more work to raise and lower because of weight and presumably a little more strain on the surrounding equipment (pivot bolt, raising line etc). Both swing keel and centerboard will swing up if you hit a shallow obstruction, although if it's a solid obstruction can still damage the centerboard.

2) Don't see as many lifting keels out there, they move straight up and down instead of pivoting, they do not pop up if you hit something shallow it's just like hitting with a fixed keel boat.

3) One thing to look out for is if the rudder is pop-up as well... most (but it seems not all) swing keel / centerboard boats have pop-up rudders as well, because otherwise you lose the benefit of the shallow draft if your rudder is still 3' in the water.
Old 29-07-2019, 15:29   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

My daughter bought a Siren 17. Great boat, fun and easy to sail. Draws less than a foot with the swing keel up. No issues with raising and lowering the keel as often as you like. Big cockpit. 2 berths below...quite comfy for a night or two aboard. Quick boat off the wind. However, without a substantial keel it does not point well and makes a lot of leeway when sailing to weather. But for day sailing/lake sailing this is not an issue. With the trailer, it is an economical boat to own that can be pulled by even a small car (I pull with a honda fit). And yes, the rudder pops up too. A good entry level boat and they cost very little in my area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing Charter C&C30 018.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	196846   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1307.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	196847  

Name:	Siren at Milton 001.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	196848   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2319.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	196849  

Name:	DSCF2404.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	196850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2542.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	196851  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 16:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
If it's your GFs private dock, could you extend it to deeper water?
I'm not entirely sure. It is technically her parents house, but it is surely staying in the family. I'm probably more inclined to start with a smaller boat first that doesn't require any major modification. Gotta ease my way into this one. If the sailing is going well and I'm getting great use out of it, and they enjoy the way it looks at their dock then maybe we can start talking more about modifications to accommodate a larger boat. Baby steps! Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzym4678 View Post
Where on Lake George? We have a place in Gull Bay, north end of the lake. We started out on an O'Day 192, swing keel. Great boat for that lake.
Sandy Bay, South East on the lake. This spring was the first time I've ever been to Lake George. I instantly fell in love! With the lake that is... I was already pretty keen on the girl! Haha!
92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 16:44   #19

I'd like to thank you all for being so welcoming! I was half expecting to get bashed with negative comments as some places on the internet are pretty rough, but you all have been great!

I'd love a recommendation for a book about learning to sail! Something that goes from not knowing port from starboard to getting me to a place where I can head into some sailing lessons at least feeling familiar with the terminology and basic principles of sailing. What can you all recommend?

Also, I live in central Jersey. Any recommendations for sailing classes in my area?

Thanks everyone!
Old 29-07-2019, 17:01   #20

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Sailing for Dummies is surprisingly good. Go get something with a swing keel around 20-25', don't spend a fortune, and get out there learning. When you meet locals who seem to know what they're doing, ask them to come with you and you'll learn heaps, just buy the beers.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 17:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
I'm not entirely sure. It is technically her parents house, but it is surely staying in the family. I'm probably more inclined to start with a smaller boat first that doesn't require any major modification. Gotta ease my way into this one. If the sailing is going well and I'm getting great use out of it, and they enjoy the way it looks at their dock then maybe we can start talking more about modifications to accommodate a larger boat. Baby steps! Haha!

Sandy Bay, South East on the lake. This spring was the first time I've ever been to Lake George. I instantly fell in love! With the lake that is... I was already pretty keen on the girl! Haha!
Sounds like you're going day sailing. Bang around the lake by day and end up back at your dock for the adult beverages after sailing kinda stuff. I would suggest something between 14 and 20 feet, dagger/center board or unweighted swing keel. Keep it cheap till you know better. Start looking, someone wants a small sailboat gone in and or around Lake George. Try to get them to take you out on the boat, it's not a survey, but you'll know if all the bits are there and that the owner at least will go sailing in it.

If you eventually want to sail bigger boats, get a sloop rig (main and foresail/jib) it will be much more instructive.

If your looking to overnight on the boat, that's a different story.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 17:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
Sounds like you're going day sailing. Bang around the lake by day and end up back at your dock for the adult beverages after sailing kinda stuff. I would suggest something between 14 and 20 feet, dagger/center board or unweighted swing keel. Keep it cheap till you know better. Start looking, someone wants a small sailboat gone in and or around Lake George. Try to get them to take you out on the boat, it's not a survey, but you'll know if all the bits are there and that the owner at least will go sailing in it.

If you eventually want to sail bigger boats, get a sloop rig (main and foresail/jib) it will be much more instructive.

If your looking to overnight on the boat, that's a different story.

Thanks! I'm not 100% sure what I am looking for yet. I'm just feeling this all out slowly. I could see myself doing 3 night full lake back and forth trips at some point, but that doesn't need to be me first boat. I'm ok starting small and seeing where things are, and then stepping into a larger boat down the road if I am still in love with it.
Old 29-07-2019, 18:02   #23

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, men