Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 14:24   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: New Foul Weather Set $85 - GREAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
x2 just did the same thing...silly really since I don't even have a boat yet. I guess we can sit outside and play sailboat in the next storm with our new weather gear">foul weather gear on!

feeding frenzy.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 14:53   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Whats Foul Weather Gear?

Used it once in the last 3 years and that was to go and tie other peoples boats up, never worn it on my boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 13:21   #78

Boat: OPB

I want to get a set of these, but I have always been scared to by foulies online, I like to make sure they fit first. It seems enough of you have gotten them that maybe I could get a size recommendation or maybe it's on the box?

I am 5'8" 220 lbs., 30" inseam and 36" waist but big chest and shoulders. I think I will go to Vermont Barre, because you can get different sized top and bottoms. I'm thinking XL top and L bottom. Any advice from those who have a set would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 17:32   #79

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
I want to get a set of these, but I have always been scared to by foulies online, I like to make sure they fit first. It seems enough of you have gotten them that maybe I could get a size recommendation or maybe it's on the box?

I am 5'8" 220 lbs., 30" inseam and 36" waist but big chest and shoulders. I think I will go to Vermont Barre, because you can get different sized top and bottoms. I'm thinking XL top and L bottom. Any advice from those who have a set would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sounds about right.
I'm 5'10" 180lbs The size L bibs fit loosely and are pretty adustable/flexible. so I think you'd be fine with that. I wouldn't worry about the length... I don't have this particular jacket, but I have a Navis jacket (same company) in size L that fits the way a normal jacket would, which is a little snug for foulies... I'd definitely go with an XL.

I haven't ordered from Vermont Barre, but they seem to be reputable. Just check their return policy, and even call them if you are still in doubt. Worst case you'll have to get an exchange if they don't fit.
Old 13-02-2012, 19:09   #80

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed! I'll let you know how they fit.
Old 13-02-2012, 19:34   #81

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I am actually wearing them as I type. I went over every inch of the seams, they are flawless... I am very impressed with the quality of these! I actually like them more then the Henry Loyd's that I have...

Thanks for the tip!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 19:42   #82

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
The day after I ordered our sets (3), I got a call from Vermont-Barre, the lady on the line wanted to make sure we wanted the xl jacket with the small sized bibs. I swear I bought xl bibs, glad she called.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:33   #83

Boat: Bristol 34
Mine arrived today, nice fit and in my opinion yhe re well made. Only strange thing is the jacket zipper. The zipper part, the thing you pull up and down os on the left side. Never seen that before, will take a bit getting use too.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:47   #84

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
Mine arrived today, nice fit and in my opinion yhe re well made. Only strange thing is the jacket zipper. The zipper part, the thing you pull up and down os on the left side. Never seen that before, will take a bit getting use too.

Don
No ****, I have a jacket from Align (remote control helicopter) being a sponsored pilot. Its from Taiwan and its zipper is backwards as well. If your're female your golden, (thats the way their jeans and stuff usually are)
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:03   #85
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Only strange thing is the jacket zipper. The zipper part, the thing you pull up and down os on the left side."
Don, I ran into that a long time ago on a Line7 jacket, IIRC. The thing is, in the US the zipper is on the right side for menswear, left side for LADIESWEAR.

And that could explain why the gear is on sale so reasonably, if someone ordered the product for US market (I have no idea if this differs somewhere else on the globe) and some "Yes yes" genius with a sweatshop had the zippers installed on the wrong side...that's all it takes for someone to dump them at a bargain price.

(My L7s all those years ago went back, I don't need to confuse my hands about things like where the zipper pull is.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:36   #86

Ordered mine today from Vermont Barre. After discounts $73.91 tax & shipping included. For that price, I could care less which side the zippers on, as long as its on the front!
Old 14-02-2012, 21:02   #87

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Only strange thing is the jacket zipper. The zipper part, the thing you pull up and down os on the left side."
Don, I ran into that a long time ago on a Line7 jacket, IIRC. The thing is, in the US the zipper is on the right side for menswear, left side for LADIESWEAR.

And that could explain why the gear is on sale so reasonably, if someone ordered the product for US market (I have no idea if this differs somewhere else on the globe) and some "Yes yes" genius with a sweatshop had the zippers installed on the wrong side...that's all it takes for someone to dump them at a bargain price.

(My L7s all those years ago went back, I don't need to confuse my hands about things like where the zipper pull is.)
The Navis jacket I have is the same way, so apparently they do it on purpose, for some reason... I find it a bit awkward myself, but once it's zipped up, it doesn't matter anymore And it's good practice to maintain dexterity
Old 15-02-2012, 00:34   #88

Thanks all, this looks like a great deal. I actually ordered a set from Overstock, thought about going back to order another, and saw the Barre deal which is even better so I'll get my second set from them. Can't get the free shipping deal, however, because the foulies don't count toward the $99 requirement. But I like that store, will go back for some more clothing and stuff.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 04:00   #89
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
I ordered a set of this for a friend as a gift. It is so high-end, and well made that I ordered a set for my husband, just to have when his foul weather gear wears out. My husband has a well known, brand name and when he tried this on, he said: "this is nicer than what I already have."

This would easily cost you $300-400 elsewhere. Free shipping too. I suggest ordering up a size, I did for each of them. That way you have room for warm clothes underneath (if needed) and plenty of room for movement.

A brighter color would be better, but reflectives are good and the hood is NEON, chartreuse yellow.

$84.99 is for the set (jacket and bib)!

Nautical Foul Weather Set | Overstock.com

Darby

Thank you! I just ordered a set.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 05:52   #90

Boat: Tartan 37
We received our second set and they're as great as the first. I'm so glad that everyone is pleased with them. Kudos to the posting on the deal at Vermont Barre!

Stay Dry!
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather, foul weather gear