Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 07:00   #46

Re: New Border Crossing Procedures Now In Place For Pleasure Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Early in his presidency Obama administration pandering to his constituency and under the guise of safety measure for the "financially less fortunate" has provided free cell phones to those on welfare.
Yeah, except that myth has been debunked so many times it's silly. BTW, IIRC, GWBush started the program.

Can we get back to border crossings and cruising permits?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:00   #47

Returning to topic, I am looking forward to meeting up with the American CBP at a port of entry (hey I'll be in America for a bit, and I'll have a huge grin on my face, as it means the boat transaction is progressing). Though it will be regarding the purchase of a boat in America, and how they would like me to proceed, prior to leaving USA waters.

I am sure they will be most helpful in such matters, and help me to avoid any accidental contravention of Laws and Regulations.

Someone earlier mentioned the issue of being on an American flagged vessel leaving an American Port, entering International waters, and then being deemed not to have left America if they don't enter a foreign Port.

Simply put, and as I understand it, this is due to the Flag signifying the territory and jurisdiction of the Flag.

Entering the Jurisdiction of a foreign Port and submitting to that Jurisdiction, is pretty much signalled to be in effect by flying the courtesy Flag of the visited Nation. It is only a proper courtesy to do so, after all.

So if on an American flagged vessel, you are 'in' America. When I fly the Red Ensign, I am 'in' Britain. Etc. Technicalities may differ, but I think that's how it goes.

More information or extra clarification, obviously, is always welcome.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 07:08   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
same thing with Lincoln, actually. he was hated by both sides. now he is practically a saint. just from a factual study of his actions, he was a bit shady for sure. violated the constitution in a number of ways. plunged the country into a bloody civil was without serious attempts at diplomacy. scapegoated the black slaves as a way to insure he couldn't be impeached for constitutional violations and, in the process, made sure the US was permanently plagued with racial tensions.

however, the internet is all about free exchange of ideas. if you start controlling what people can say because there are others that might have a different opinion you destroy that and make the internet just another impotent extension of the PC media.

the key is for people to act in a mature manner and realize that people have different opinions and accept that. the problem is when people get angry and abusive because someone had the gall to disagree with them. if people act maturely, a little debate can be fun and even educational.

people have different information and different reasoning processes. you may not change your mind based on the opinions of another (in fact, hearing other opinions can, sometimes, cement your own even firmer) but, your mind can be opened to different possibilities.
Well put.

PS. Something enthusiasts for totalitarianism need to consider.

20% of East Germans were Stasi informers.

But a substantial number of those informers, and even of those in the Stasi itself, were fake.

They were in there taking note of names, and what they were doing.

Generally, the absolute maximum percentage of those on the side of totalitarianism, is 15% of any population. But they always try to give the impression that they are the vast majority.

If you think that's 'political', you are ignoring the reality that it is just a Safety Hazard Warning for your conduct.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:43   #49

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Unsubscribed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 08:50   #50

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I have always wondered what would happen if I left my state and checked into a country in Central America. Stayed for a while and then checked out and never checking into this country when I came back. What could they say or do? They could prosecute I guess but what would the charges be. Smuggling? What and where is the evidence. Illegal entry? Where and when did I come in? Especially if you have a home on the water some place. What do or can they really do? Anyone know?
Old 31-01-2016, 09:16   #51

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Flying a national flag does not mean " you are 'in' America [or] "When I fly the Red Ensign, I am 'in' Britain." It does for a sovereign warship (e.g., a United States Ship XX or Her Majesty's Ship YY), but that is it. Any vessel entering the jurisdiction of another nation is subject to the laws and customs of that nation. Individual can be given some extra territorial status (military and diplomats), but we boaters are not in that group. Violate those laws and customs and about the only good flying your flag or waving your passport will do is get you a visit in your jail cell from your consular official who will inform you that you are in deep trouble and need local legal counsel. At your expense.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 09:49   #52

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
Flying a national flag does not mean " you are 'in' America [or] "When I fly the Red Ensign, I am 'in' Britain." It does for a sovereign warship (e.g., a United States Ship XX or Her Majesty's Ship YY), but that is it. Any vessel entering the jurisdiction of another nation is subject to the laws and customs of that nation. Individual can be given some extra territorial status (military and diplomats), but we boaters are not in that group. Violate those laws and customs and about the only good flying your flag or waving your passport will do is get you a visit in your jail cell from your consular official who will inform you that you are in deep trouble and need local legal counsel. At your expense.
So what your saying is you don't know either.
Old 31-01-2016, 11:03   #53

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

w1651,

I was responding to #47. But I am sure that if you returned from some foreign stay w/o "checking in" officially, nothing would be done. It is not a crime to return to one's country, but I think any government wants to know that when returning you are not bringing back contraband, infectious diseases, things on which you should be paying taxes or duties, and the like. Short of catching you in the act or should you brag about such in a fashion that brings you to the attention of authorities, yes, there is nothing that would be done.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 12:27   #54

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
And you will get an "obamaphone". If you're lucky may be it'll be a satellite phone.
If you convince them, you will probably get Obamacare por nada. Sorry it shouldn't become political thread.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote