Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which do you think would make an easily branded, catchy boat name?
Invictus (Latin for undefeated) 5 13.51%
Loki (God of Mischief) 6 16.22%
Icarus (son of Greek God Daedalus) 2 5.41%
Reika (Icelandic for Wander) 13 35.14%
Andare (Italian for "to go") 7 18.92%
Eris (God of Chaos) 3 8.11%
Lazarus 3 8.11%
Fortuna (Latin for Adventure) 10 27.03%
Vagare (Italian for wander) 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 10:05   #1

Boat: Dufour GL 360
Need help with a name

I'm looking for a name for a 36' Dufour. She's new, so there wasn't previously a name. I know naming a boat is very personal and there is a back-story to each of the names in the poll. I don't want a name that's been over-done...
Will be based in the Persian Gulf, lived on and sailed regularly as long and as far as I can safely go.

Thanks for the help
Ranger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 12:54   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Need help with a name

Not on your list, but how about Sidiqqi?--means "friend"

Otherwise, I like Reika, from your selection, as it also speaks of the future.
Old 31-10-2018, 13:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

All these names fit my rules for ease of understanding (under 4 syllables, clear when said over radio, not sexual or cutesy). Make sure that nothing is offensive, or a double-entendre, in your cruising area. You don't want a bunch of negatives before you even arrive in a new port. Check these out with the locals and see if anyone winces.

If you want to see how common names are, at least in the US, you can look for the US national documented vessel list at: https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coa...selByName.html

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 18:05   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

From the initial polling question, it appears that the OP who set up the poll is looking for a BRAND name for boats, not a name for his boat. Comparable to "Hatteras", "Hinckley", or "Catalina". For this use, some of the options, like "Fortuna" and "Invictus" seem over-used or clichéd. Others, like "Eris","Loki", "Vagare" and "Icarus"have negative connotations. Eris (chaos) on a boat, is not a good thing. Likewise, Loki is a mischief-maker. Boats already have enough that can go wrong on them without bringing Loki into the picture. Vagare gives rise to the word vagrant, and Icarus flew too close to the sun and fell to his death. Not good tokens for fun times. That leaves just a few options. Lazarus - who died, or who was raised from the dead - is not a good candidate. Andare would be easily mispronounced by Americans. (Rhymes with fanfare?) It might make them think it was an Italian boat line, which could be a positive or perhaps a negative, or possibly just confusing. That leaves "Reika", which is easily pronounced, is not over-used already, and has ties with the relatively interesting country of Iceland. Easy choice.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 18:40   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

How about L’chiam
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 18:50   #6

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Invictus, Lazarus, and Icarus all have the benefit of being immediately understood and spelt correctly. You would have to repeat and spell out these names less often.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 19:12   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
From the initial polling question, it appears that the OP who set up the poll is looking for a BRAND name for boats, not a name for his boat.
Dunno where you get this idea... he said it was for his newly purchased new yacht, not a brand name for some production boat.

Jim
Old 31-10-2018, 19:30   #8

Boat: TBD

Personal opinion but I voted Reika.
Short, simple, original, pronounced the same in most languages.
I wish i had an idea as good as that, I have 6 months to a year to decide for mine but I didn't find anything as convincing yet.

I really don't like naming boats after gods or mythical figures, I feel like it's a bit presumptuous and over the top.
Bob Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 21:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
All these names fit my rules for ease of understanding (under 4 syllables, clear when said over radio, not sexual or cutesy). Make sure that nothing is offensive, or a double-entendre, in your cruising area. You don't want a bunch of negatives before you even arrive in a new port. Check these out with the locals and see if anyone winces.

If you want to see how common names are, at least in the US, you can look for the US national documented vessel list at: https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coa...selByName.html

Thanks John, That's great advice...we had a boat named "Infidel" in the marina. Made me shake my head, clearly not aware of their surroundings.
Old 31-10-2018, 21:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
From the initial polling question, it appears that the OP who set up the poll is looking for a BRAND name for boats, not a name for his boat. Comparable to "Hatteras", "Hinckley", or "Catalina". For this use, some of the options, like "Fortuna" and "Invictus" seem over-used or clichéd. Others, like "Eris","Loki", "Vagare" and "Icarus"have negative connotations. Eris (chaos) on a boat, is not a good thing. Likewise, Loki is a mischief-maker. Boats already have enough that can go wrong on them without bringing Loki into the picture. Vagare gives rise to the word vagrant, and Icarus flew too close to the sun and fell to his death. Not good tokens for fun times. That leaves just a few options. Lazarus - who died, or who was raised from the dead - is not a good candidate. Andare would be easily mispronounced by Americans. (Rhymes with fanfare?) It might make them think it was an Italian boat line, which could be a positive or perhaps a negative, or possibly just confusing. That leaves "Reika", which is easily pronounced, is not over-used already, and has ties with the relatively interesting country of Iceland. Easy choice.
Nope, not looking for a brand-name. I'm thinking I will start a blog though and would like to have a decent social media presence. Might be my search ability, but I haven't seen a lot of resources from folks sailing in this area. I'd just like a short, simple name that can be turned into a logo. You bring up some outstanding points and the exact reason why I stated this poll...some of those names do bring up negative connotations. Additionally, wanted to steer away from the overused names. I like Reika and you bring up great points. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morane View Post
Personal opinion but I voted Reika.
Short, simple, original, pronounced the same in most languages.
I wish i had an idea as good as that, I have 6 months to a year to decide for mine but I didn't find anything as convincing yet.

I really don't like naming boats after gods or mythical figures, I feel like it's a bit presumptuous and over the top.
Thanks Bob, I can definitely see how it could be a bit presumptuous.
Old 31-10-2018, 22:58   #11

Jude, the patron saint of hopeless cases....
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 23:03   #12

Jude...that's a good one too.
Old 01-11-2018, 00:32   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I'll give you my runner up name for my Roberts. I ended up picking "Brute Force" but was considering "Wasn't Me", so I could name the dink "Me Neither". Ur welcome to "Wasn't Me".

Of your choices, I best like "Fortuna" but I have seen a couple of boats with that name and I suspect it is a bit too xommon.
Old 01-11-2018, 00:49   #14

haha, that's great!

I liked Fortuna too...until John_Trusty posted the NOAA link above! There are a ton of "Fortuna's" out there, the same with "Invictus".

Will consider "Wasn't Me" as it seems like something I say at least once daily anyway...

Thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 01:09   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

We have two boats at our Marina named Sazerac, but there was a third one until recently. Good names are just too popular.