Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 11:00   #316

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

How did we get from "needing a tow" to discussing "rotten fruit"
Pete7 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 11:02   #317

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Well if the rotten lemons were delivered by someone else with negligence, I'd like my money back ! Duh .?
And how much of your time would invest in that endeavor.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 11:04   #318

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
How did we get from "needing a tow" to discussing "rotten fruit"
In this case owning rotten fruit is a metaphor for owning a boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 11:37   #319

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think the smart thing for you to do now would be to start a thread here asking for help so we can all tell you what you did wrong.
Scout, that is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Actually laughed out loud, and still am. Great response...BTW, I tend to agree with most of you comments, so we both are incredibly intelligent men...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 11:44   #320

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Wish I could help. I think the least expensive and safest thing for you to do is get the engine running and the prop/bottom cleaned then motor up the intracoastal waterway. Save off shore for later. It will only take a few bridges to get used to dealing with them. Off shore there are things that can go wrong that could be very expensive and even life threatening. On the ICW you can drop and anchor and in a worst case swim to shore.

Good Luck!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 11:48   #321

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I bought an old trawler and it had an outboard type bulb pump on it. It was deteriorating with cracks nearly all the way through. I replaced it with a new one and after just a few years the new one started leaking. I installed a fuel polishing system and can use the electric pump to prime now. I'm more comfortable without the bulb.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 11:49   #322
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Still fighting with that good old VdS?

Sent from my GT-I8190L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
That's the bitch..
Too old and stiff for this long term refit crap.. prefer delivering.. patch up the failures to get me across and leave the long term grief to the owner

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 11:53   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
For me it raises a good point. Is there anyway to search a specific thread such as this one for a particular word? Say, for example, could I search, "radar," and cut down the number of posts that I would have to read to find OP's earlier post?
Yes. You can search on google for "site:cruisersforum.com carebear1968 radar". The "site:URL" part limits the search on a specific url.

Found something nice some pages before:

Quote:
This thread clearly shows what the modern world is...20 pages of demagogue about liability, legal issues and other crap. Yes these guys might have made not best decision in their life. Yes, they are more in financial trouble than anything else. But it STILL trouble. Offering them "to sell this and that and your old pants" is simply ********.
It's very sad that world became such...
Back in time, if you run out of gas, you could waive your hand and get help (and tow if needed). Now everybody will think "he should have gas and engine checked in advance, should have insurance and cell phone, it's dangerous to stop due to liability issues etc, etc, etc, etc, etc". So if your cellphone is dead, you might as well die before someone "not as smart" will stop and help you. And government is helping to create such attitude all the way. Remember these "pickup is illegal" signs on the side of the road? Sure, they will find 1000 reasons for that. It's just single example, but it's literally EVERYWHERE. Everything became "illegal". Correction - any goodwill, common sense became illegal. Welcome to hellworld.
---> well said, ranchero76!
---> (Fortunately there are still very many helpful sailors around (in my experience at least). Poisoned Oysters are the exception :-)

--
beware of vibrio vulnificus...
250224 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 12:01   #324
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Now that you have given us a few more details, there will be other responses (probably a lot of them), and some may offer you additional advice. I offer only this: don't spend ANY more money on "gear" unless it is absolutely needed to get you home. Literally, not a dime. Take the first year, use the boat as much as possible, THEN decide what the boat really needs or doesn't need, based on the way you use it.

I almost cried when I read that you had spent $3000 on radar.
I have to agree. You're putting the cart in front of the horse. Once you get home, re-group, and figure out priorities. If you were deceived about the engine, odds are there are other things that will show up. Kinda like painting the boat before you've even gone sailing. Good luck [/QUOTE]

But..!! But..!!!
So many here claim one cannot sail safely without Radar, AIS, Forward Looking Sonar...
Whats a Newbie to do..

Old 05-01-2017, 12:03   #325

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
This thread has devolved into nonproductive negativity. What should be one of the best times of the OP's lives will become a bad memory if all they do is focus on what they did wrong & what wrong was done to them. I don't normally sound like a cheerleader but instead of dumping on them or counseling revenge we should be helping them salvage this experience. The trials & tribulations that they are going through now will be better handled with a positive outlook & that's gonna be tough to have if they're following this thread.

I was thinking back on the boats we've owned over the years & the first trip always seems to be one of the most memorable. I'm personally wishing Carebear & her husband well & when this is all said and done I'm sure this will become a fond memory.
I think at this point it is fruitless to point out what "mistakes" the carebears made. You don't know what you don't know. "Project boat" sounds to the experienced like a horror story, but "doable" to a couple of competent people. Writing blaming messages about it doesn't help them. FWIW, i think Kenomac's suggestion that they take the radar back to get some extra funds for helping deal with the situation they now find themselves in is at least plausible. The overall tone of that post did read "harsh", but sometimes that's how good sense sounds.

I think Scout 30 is completely correct that these new-to-boating people will be better served by some encouragement and practical advice. I also think it will help Carrie conceptualize about the fixes (even if temporary), if you guys who know so much would explain the whys behind the fixes.

We have just learned that the centerboard is jammed. Not knowing the boat at all, would it be feasible to move it to Jacksonville without fixing it? and why? or why not? Factor in the ICW vs. open ocean routes.

If it is just growth fouling the centerboard, then un-jamming it may be easy, but if it is a repair the lifting tackle job it will take longer. The boat will not sail to windward well without the centerboard. We do not know the carebears' sailing experience (would they be able to handle things at sea?).

The sea route would save them 3 days, if Boatman is correct, and if they could time it for S'ly winds. Any comments about best sources for wind predictions [weather routing] for the area (and the reasons for preferring that particular one)?

I'm sure we can help them, and that is what most of us are here for.

Ann

@ Scout 30: Thanks for all the good advice so far!

A.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:10   #326
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My boat was in much better shape when I bought her and had a survey and seatrial, but still I wanted the first three days or so in the ICW.
Worked out better too, cause I had fuel line clogging issues to deal with, and that is a whole lot easier at anchor in the ICW.
I'm a wuss, no way would I plan a passage in Winter on a boat that I had never sailed and hadn't gone a quarter mile in yet.
I know, its the Gulf Stream, you can just float to Jax, right?
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 12:12   #327
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Worst case it the ICW trip assuming no major breakdowns is three weekends if they cant get the time off, and maybe only two if they are lucky.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 12:17   #328
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well.. after Saturday is a no go for sure..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	066.png
Views:	122
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	139029  

Old 05-01-2017, 12:23   #329

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well.. after Saturday is a no go for sure..
Too rough for the ICW? These folks have no business going offshore at this point, so why encourage it?
The ICW is easy and straight forward.
Paul L is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 12:26   #330

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
.....(Fortunately there are still very many helpful sailors around (in my experience at least). Poisoned Oysters are the exception :-)
I don't remember, are the poisonous oysters the ones that float or sink when you put them in bucket?
Paul L is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa