Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 09:13   #301

Boat: Scout 30
Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

It is like the depression saying, " There ain't no free Lunches.".
Or the even more depressing saying, "There's no such thing as a free drink.".
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 09:28   #302

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They get eaten up by Diesel fuel, get soft and leak like the devil.
Not in one day or two, but it will happen

Look here a few posts down The Hall of FAIL Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
My boat still has the same primer bulbs it had when new 15 years ago. I've never had a problem with them. I do keep a couple of spares on board just in case, after all they're 15 years old. I have a friend with electric pumps and he's replaced 2 in 15 years. I wonder which one was more cost effective? My understanding is that the reason they are frowned upon is that they melt in a fire and add fuel to the problem. It's the same reason they started putting metal heat shields on Racor filters.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 09:32   #303
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
The radar was purchased with our loan for the boat before we moved her and found the extent of our problems. The previous owner did not use any kind of radar, GPS or any electronics on his sails. He used a sexton and paper maps. That being said, we would not have put it on the loan , nor moved the boat at all had we known. Thanks
Why would you purchase a $3000 radar and decide not to spend any money on a survey or sea trial? That doesn't make any sense. Every bank I know of requires a marine survey prior to funding a boat loan.

Your story is begining to make less and less sense.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 09:33   #304

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Or the even more depressing saying, "There's no such thing as a free drink.".
I haven't seen every third or forth drink being on the house in many years.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 09:45   #305

Quote:
Inexperience maybe, but even Boatie got stung, and I doubt we can claim that due to inexperience.
It's the dream, and at one time or another we are all guilty of falling for the dream.
From a pure logical standpoint, it's tough to justify a boat. Only a fool owns a boat
Being a fool can be fun if you have the $ and know your being a fool with your money. I was never any good at golf.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:45   #306

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
BTW: You must have missed the OP's earlier post about her new $3000 radar not yet installed?
The above is a partial quote from post #273. For me it raises a good point. Is there anyway to search a specific thread such as this one for a particular word? Say, for example, could I search, "radar," and cut down the number of posts that I would have to read to find OP's earlier post?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:49   #307
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
My boat still has the same primer bulbs it had when new 15 years ago. I've never had a problem with them. I do keep a couple of spares on board just in case, after all they're 15 years old. I have a friend with electric pumps and he's replaced 2 in 15 years. I wonder which one was more cost effective? My understanding is that the reason they are frowned upon is that they melt in a fire and add fuel to the problem. It's the same reason they started putting metal heat shields on Racor filters.
I am not sure why actually. Look at a section of fuel hose that is approved for in hull as opposed to one that is not, there is a marked difference. The primer bulb is not approved, it may be because of fire. But did you look at the link I posted that showed a failed primer bulb?
To me that is enough reason why not to fit one. Personally I have dual Racors and the electric pump that came on my boat to refill the filters failed so I remove it, I have no problem wiggling the little lever on the Yamnar mechanical pump to refill both Racors, I don't see the need for a bulb or pump.
Using a primer bulb is to me akin to going to the autoparts store and using that fuel hose, its just not worth the risk to me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 09:51   #308
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Being a fool can be fun if you have the $ and know your being a fool with your money. I was never any good at golf.
I never tried Golf, I don't see the point, I understand how swatting the s*** out of some little ball can be gratifying, but the better at the game you get, the less you get to swat the thing and the further you have to walk to swat it again, and it should be more swatting and less walking shouldn't it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 09:58   #309

Quote:
I never tried Golf, I don't see the point, I understand how swatting the s*** out of some little ball can be gratifying, but the better at the game you get, the less you get to swat the thing and the further you have to walk to swat it again, and it should be more swatting and less walking shouldn't it?
I only wacked at that thing for business purposes. As I said I sucked at it. I'd rather piss my money away on a boat and have done that in aces.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:25   #310

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Going after the seller & broker would be a waste of time which is clearly in short supply. Recommending it to the buyer is counterproductive. You can't buy a 38' boat for less than $12,000 & expect everything to work. Especially when it's been sitting & the add says it needs work. No survey, no sea trial, no haul out, a very cheap price & the seller's at fault? Time to learn some lessons & move on. When life gives you lemons you can either freeze them & throw them at the seller or grab some tequila & salt and watch the sunset.
Well if the rotten lemons were delivered by someone else with negligence, I'd like my money back ! Duh .?
thruska is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 10:29   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why would you purchase a $3000 radar and decide not to spend any money on a survey or sea trial? That doesn't make any sense. Every bank I know of requires a marine survey prior to funding a boat loan. Your story is begining to make less and less sense.
You are in the Mediterranee and they need help in Florida, thus you are not interesting at all. Back into your oyster and enjoy your (boring?) life. (Boring as it seems you just wrote some pseudo-provocative posts to stir up trouble - quite inappropriate, sitting in a fully functional well-off boat and having years of experience).

I'd say the OP would need a sailor for some real-life support. Maybe not a tow but a glance at the boat (motor) and then some advise/ideas.
250224 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 10:33   #312

Quote:
Going after the seller & broker would be a waste of time which is clearly in short supply. Recommending it to the buyer is counterproductive. You can't buy a 38' boat for less than $12,000 & expect everything to work. Especially when it's been sitting & the add says it needs work. No survey, no sea trial, no haul out, a very cheap price & the seller's at fault? Time to learn some lessons & move on. When life gives you lemons you can either freeze them & throw them at the seller or grab some tequila & salt and watch the sunset.
Boom! Done... drops mic.

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 10:36   #313
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Inexperience maybe, but even Boatie got stung, and I doubt we can claim that due to inexperience.
It's the dream, and at one time or another we are all guilty of falling for the dream.
From a pure logical standpoint, it's tough to justify a boat. Only a fool owns a boat
Original idea was to try and get him some money back.. but that was before I discovered he'd been hiring cowboys..
As I said.. I'd turned the 'free boat' offer from him down once, figured after 3yrs and 20K euro claimed spent on refit etc she'd be saleable in a better location.. Malta is kinda outa the way.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 10:50   #314

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Now that you have given us a few more details, there will be other responses (probably a lot of them), and some may offer you additional advice. I offer only this: don't spend ANY more money on "gear" unless it is absolutely needed to get you home. Literally, not a dime. Take the first year, use the boat as much as possible, THEN decide what the boat really needs or doesn't need, based on the way you use it.

I almost cried when I read that you had spent $3000 on radar.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree. You're putting the cart in front of the horse. Once you get home, re-group, and figure out priorities. If you were deceived about the engine, odds are there are other things that will show up. Kinda like painting the boat before you've even gone sailing. Good luck
Souzag818 is offline   Reply
Old 05-01-2017, 10:59   #315

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Gotta agree. You're struggling to pay for dockage but can afford a $3,000 radar that most sailors never need. If you lived in Maine that purchase might be understandable but even then it would be way down the list of things you need.
I'm in agreement also. Take it back. $3000. will go along way toward other repairs. I once had a guy tell me he could paint my boat for $8000. and I have the prettiest boat in the marina. I told him I'd rather have new sails, and a not so pretty boat. Priorities.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
asa