Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 15:18   #136

Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Yes exactly where we are
And yes unfamiliar and tight. There are a lot of things My Husband and I could say that we were not told by the broker and the previous owner and he Was initially going to let us stay on the dock until Feb. But due to health issues, we had to move.we had little time and as we respect the previous owner and his trying to help with things on the boat that he did, he can not remember a lot. Nonetheless, we are stranded with her 300 miles from home. Had we known this, we would have shipped her up. So now we are trying to get her home.
Is it possible to get your (experienced) husband to explain here on CF in more detail the specific problems with the boat so appropriate advice and help can be given?
0urh is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:20   #137

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1968 View Post
Yes exactly where we are
And yes unfamiliar and tight. There are a lot of things My Husband and I could say that we were not told by the broker and the previous owner and he Was initially going to let us stay on the dock until Feb. But due to health issues, we had to move.we had little time and as we respect the previous owner and his trying to help with things on the boat that he did, he can not remember a lot. Nonetheless, we are stranded with her 300 miles from home. Had we known this, we would have shipped her up. So now we are trying to get her home.
I don't mean to be harsh but I'm going to make some assumptions here so please correct me if I'm wrong. Before you bought this boat you did not do a sea trial, did not haul it & did not have a survey done. No one has dived the hull so you don't know if the prop is fouled, which it undoubtedly is, & you don't know how badly the hull is fouled. The raw water intake has not been inspected, the raw water impellor has not been inspected & the strainer probably has not even been looked at. It's no surprise that the motor is overheating & the boat is hard to control.

At a minimum you need to hire a diver to clean the hull & prop. You need to change the water pump impellor which has probably lost some vanes & clean the strainer. If a lot of the impellor is missing it would be a good idea to go to whatever is next in line, either the oil cooler or heat exchanger & open it up to get the impellor bits out of it. Next take a look at the steering system & make sure it's OK. If it's hydraulic top it off. One other easy thing I'd do is install an electric fuel pump & switch before the fuel filter. Your fuel's been sitting for a long time & there's probably water & gunk in the tank. If you need to change filters an electric fuel pump will make this process pretty painless. Other things to check before you head out are running lights, bilge pumps, your fresh water system & your electronics. All of these things need to be done before you leave the dock, certainly before you try to sail this boat to Jacksonville which is over 500 miles.

Regarding Boat US, when your towing insurance goes into effect it will only pay to get you back to a dock or to a marina. To be honest you should be getting to a marina to haul this boat & do a bottom job a any necessary repairs.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:21   #138

Boat: 40 Trojan International

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrn View Post
if its engine related here is a way its ugly but it works just bolt a kicker mount through hull and get a kicker sad but true i been there too
Awesome advise. I think my Husband knows the problem. And working on what he can. Thanks [emoji1]
carebear1968 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:25   #139

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Sounds like you bought a boat that's been sitting a while. If that's true, I hate to say this, but expect to find a lot more problems with the boat.

I'm not saying that to jinx you, it's just years of experience. Even if you tested everything, stuff will break or fail when you start using it again, usually at the worse possible moment.

Regarding tow companies, I wouldn't count on them helping you, even after 30 days. We had a problem with our boat once, and considered getting tow coverage so we could get the boat to the yard, but they were still going to charge us. I know that's a big YMMV, but have a plan B if that's your plan A.

When the seller changed the deal, that would have been a good time to negotiate for them to deliver the boat somewhere, or lower the price to compensate. I know it's too late now, but there's always next time. Sounds like the seller got sick... sick of looking at the boat!

You might check with local yacht clubs... you might get some help from them... the money some friendly locals could save you might cover the membership.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:30   #140

Boat: KP 46

What a whole lot of advice given on subjects not asked!

First off, let me relate a short story:
Many years ago, when I first started working mega yachts, I was hired as Chief Officer on a 160’ foot yacht that was in a shipyard way up the Miami river. The Captain (unlimited Master) was new to the vessel as well. Came time to leave for Bermuda he called for tugs to take us to the sea buoy. A very sound decision, here we had a vessel neither one of us was familiar with, tight water with several bridges. Rather than learn the handling characteristics of the vessel in very tight water, it was much easier to see how she handled on the way to Bermuda.

This could very well be the case here.

And….

Outside is MUCH easier and requires far less attention to navigation than the ICW, which is cluttered with bridges, currents, and people who have not a clue of the rules of the road etc. For a person with a new boat, and not a lot of experience, far less can happen to them or their vessel offshore. They have the time to deal with things, fix things, and learn their vessel, rather than having to continually deal with traffic, markers, bridges and idiots.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:47   #141

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
What a whole lot of advice given on subjects not asked!

First off, let me relate a short story:
Many years ago, when I first started working mega yachts, I was hired as Chief Officer on a 160’ foot yacht that was in a shipyard way up the Miami river. The Captain (unlimited Master) was new to the vessel as well. Came time to leave for Bermuda he called for tugs to take us to the sea buoy. A very sound decision, here we had a vessel neither one of us was familiar with, tight water with several bridges. Rather than learn the handling characteristics of the vessel in very tight water, it was much easier to see how she handled on the way to Bermuda.

This could very well be the case here.

And….

Outside is MUCH easier and requires far less attention to navigation than the ICW, which is cluttered with bridges, currents, and people who have not a clue of the rules of the road etc. For a person with a new boat, and not a lot of experience, far less can happen to them or their vessel offshore. They have the time to deal with things, fix things, and learn their vessel, rather than having to continually deal with traffic, markers, bridges and idiots.

Michael
So we've come full circle...

You will admit, wouldn't you though, there is a little difference in a 160' megayacht with a full, experienced crew and a 36' sailboat, with an inexperienced crew, that has been sitting, apparently unused, in a warm-water slip for an unspecified amount of time? Seems I remember a young, inexperienced sailor making the 'short' trip from Miami to the Bahamas last year...he made it across (mostly) ok though...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 15:54   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Been following this since the beginning; don't think I've seen a case of such a-communication here (except maybe in global warming threads).

Hope it's not too obnoxious to list all of carebear's posts on the subject, but I thought it might help me to understand what she was thinking and maybe see things from her point of view.

Don't know how well that worked out but it seems that we can come to a few conclusions and maybe some very rough advice...

It seems we all agree that a 'tow to open water" is a very bad idea.

It also seems there is a little underlying anxiety and almost desperation in the above posts. So maybe it would be good to step back, take a breath and consider your options. Count your money, make a list of things to do, from most to least important, and from that begin to rough out a plan to get them done, before you commit to open water.

If I were in the area I would probably be able to steer you to a reasonably priced short term dock or anchorage. Since I'm not, maybe another CF member from the area could speak up with some guidance?

Once you've gotten some short term breathing room (at least a month), start working on your plan to get the boat ship shape for the trip. You must have some sea time on the boat before you take her on a 300 mile trip on open water off Florida in the winter (or really anywhere), or else have someone along who does.

Not to be too melodramatic, we'd all rather not see you become a statistic, and prefer to keep you as a CF member...
You are awesome in your reply jimbunyard. While I am looking for advice or help, my husband is working on the engine. And as I have been a bit frustrated after all the money spent and time driving down 300+ miles, over the last month, and not knowing anyone here, bottom line is we do not and will not take her out to open water without everything in order, however, where we are located, is not ideal for testing ,fixing or running up and down the river. That being said, we are still here, but have to work So back to Jacksonville in a rental I guess. Very disheartening for us, another week of not getting her home. Anyhow, thanks so much for your concern and knowledgeable input. I do try to respond to everyone in CF. But we are busy trying to get to solutions and working hard to get her going. So some may not be read or responed to quickly. But I'm trying to get to everyone. 😊
Old 02-01-2017, 15:57   #143

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

If I were in the area I would probably be able to steer you to a reasonably priced short term dock or anchorage. Since I'm not, maybe another CF member from the area could speak up with some guidance?

No such thing in Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 02-01-2017, 15:58   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Carrie,

I have a good friend that is a boat mechanic in Fort Lauderdale, He is on a canal right off of Griffin Road, If your still in Ft. Lauderdale, pm me and I can hook you up...

meatservo
That would be great! I will be in touch. Thank you meatservero.
Old 02-01-2017, 15:58   #145

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Yes and outside puts them offshore on a boat of unknown condition in the gulf stream in winter. And that's a good idea why?
Old 02-01-2017, 16:00   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post

Since money is clearly an issue, the cheapest option now is to go back home, not miss anymore work, earn another paycheck or two, and when the towing insurance (have you called to confirm that your understanding of your coverage is correct?) kicks in two weeks from now, come back down and have the boat towed/captained the 300 miles. (I'd hate to see that towing bill.) I don't think a licensed towing operator is going to tow you to open water and then cast off the tow line.
The towing insurance will not tow you from Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville.
Old 02-01-2017, 16:03   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Yes and outside puts them offshore on a boat of unknown condition in the gulf stream in winter. And that's a good idea why?
Exactly. The fact that the questions are being asked here and the apparent unpreparedness says "dont take that boat out in the open". Not knocking the OP's, just saying many boats are not known well until you've had them a while and you cant just assume it's "ready to use".

Cheechako is online now   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 16:04   #148

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Since we are all giving you suggestion that you did not ask for let me suggest where you should take your boat on vacation. That will be about as helpful as this threat has been.Lol
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 16:05   #149

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Smile Re: NEED A TOW ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Don't know, but
cyn·i·cal
ˈsinək(ə)l/
adjective
believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
"her cynical attitude"
concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them.
"a cynical manipulation of public opinion"

I don't think those things are what you were being. You can feel like they are in over their head, but unless they actually tell us what the problem is, you are still only guessing.
My cynicism may be just what you said. Wondering about the intent. Is anyone that naïve. Buying a boat with a working engine and yet pleading for help and a tow. I need help since I'm lost and need help about sailing and motoring would elicit help. Someone in the area, with knowledge, may jump on board. Not a bunch of rhetoric about a tow. It puts an entirely different complexion on the situation. I wish to OP the best.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 16:10   #150

I give up! Cannot follow this thread any longer. Worse than a Nigerian 401 scam. Lots of good advice give. None followed. It might sound harsh but you do not need a tow ASAP.
Closed Thread

Tags
asa