Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2022, 13:29   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)
Navigation lights (too many)?

My 39' boat came with both option 1 and 3 from the picture, as well as a steaming (?) White light facing forward about halfway up the mast. Is this just a pants and suspenders situation/maybe pants or suspenders situation? Presumably I can only run with one set up illuminated?
p.s. I didn't find a more appropriate forum to post this,
but if there is one, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220822_162834.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	263244  
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 13:35   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Navigation lights (too many)?

It's common to have both setups equipped. You're correct that they're used as an either/or.

So you can run in the following ways:
  • Motoring (or motorsailing) with deck level side lights + steaming light + stern light on
  • Sailing with deck level side lights + stern light on
  • Sailing with masthead tricolor on

The tricolor can't be used while motoring, you must use the deck level side lights and stern light for that (which is why boats with a tricolor installed will also have deck level lights as well).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 13:56   #3

Boat: Soverel 36 keel/centerboard cutter

One other aspect is that when nearshore, especially in channels with lots of traffic, even if you are sailing and can legally use the tricolor, it may be harder for other nearby boats to see you (as they aren't looking up). I have a similar setup to yours and use the tricolor in open water and the deck-level lights in traffic situations (and, of course, when motoring).

I should note that the height of your mast affects whether this might be a problem or not. A 25' mast and a 75' mast have very different "looking up" angles as they get close.
OceanWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 18:39   #4

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

Great thanks for the input
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2022, 23:10   #5

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

Same as you, Azawakh is equiped as is.

We use the mast navigation lights as soon as we are off the coast and not close to other vessels.

Our mast being some 23 meters above sea level, with the mast head lights we can be seen from very far away.

Optionnaly light consumption use to be 1 bulb instead of 2 at deck level, it is not anymore an advantage since we swapped for LED navigation lights.

But this configuration has a side effect, others vessels may believe you are much far away from them than actually.

So, what we do when we have a vessel closing by, we do swap for navigation lights that are at deck level to ensure the other vessel as a proper estimation of our mutual distance.

We never use both masthead and deckl level lights in the same time of course, this is another advantage of having several systems, you'll always have one as backup.
Old 26-09-2022, 04:12   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Sounds perfect. The upper red green are used in heavy seas or running on a horizon according to my teacher.
Sailboat red green deck housing differ a great deal from power boats. The cut off lens “eyelid” on a power boat is lower, while a sailboat has a wider taller viewing eyelid to accommodate heeling. The steaming light is supposed to be used entering and harbour. Tends to tick folks off.
You are missing spreader lights. These are amazing docking or at anchorage. The spreader lights can be separated port starboard or fire or aft. Blue or 5,000K is popular for this type of night light.
Cockpit cabin entry red optional lighting is an asset.
Few boat manufactures use quality recessed lighting in cabins. I was shocked to see premium light fixtures in a Hanse. They were Italian twin LED rectangles very popular in the design world. They have Dutch diodes from Phillips so doesn’t get much better. In a home application Hanse had the trim off a 250€ fixture in a marine shallow housing. My Jeanneau came with Chinese glare bombs which I’ve replaced. I’m using a constant current power supply with RF filters so there is no cheap circuit cross talk. On the Navigation table I’ve a lovely task light from US. Billet aluminum with a 12V diode Red/White. The diode has a 12 controller on board so it can run off clean battery power with a shorter life.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 06:36   #7

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
The steaming light is supposed to be used entering and harbour.
??? The "steaming light", properly called the "masthead light" under COLREGS indicates that the vessel is mechanically propelled, ie the engine is running and is a "Power Driven Vessel". It is to be shown AT ALL TIMES when the vessel is being mechanically propelled and navigation lights are required. (Nighttime and restricted visibility.) It may NEVER be shown when sailing with the engine off. Makes no difference where the vessel is located, traffic density, whether sails are also being used, etc. If your masthead light is lit, you may not claim priveledge as a Sailing Vessel as you are telling everyone else "I am a Power Driven Vessel". Many sailors light thier masthead light all the time which is just plain wrong.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 06:54   #8

Option 1, deck level red/green side lights and white stern light is the basic setup for a Sailing Vessel. If it has an engine, the white masthead (steaming) light must also be added to be used when the engine is propelling the vessel. Options 2 and 3 are just that, optional. Option 3 may be be used independently but if the vessel has an engine it must also be equipped with option 1 to be used when motoring. Options 1 and 3 are never shown at the same time. Option 2 is rarely seen and it's to be used along with option 1 which would mean 5 light bulbs burning. Back before LED lights this would be an unreasonable power drain which is why there are so few boats so equipped. So the OP's boat is correctly equipped, and only one of options 1 or 3 may be shown at any given time.
Old 26-09-2022, 07:01   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Sounds perfect. The upper red green are used in heavy seas or running on a horizon according to my teacher.
Sailboat red green deck housing differ a great deal from power boats. The cut off lens “eyelid” on a power boat is lower, while a sailboat has a wider taller viewing eyelid to accommodate heeling. The steaming light is supposed to be used entering and harbour. Tends to tick folks off.
You are missing spreader lights. These are amazing docking or at anchorage. The spreader lights can be separated port starboard or fire or aft. Blue or 5,000K is popular for this type of night light.
Cockpit cabin entry red optional lighting is an asset.
Few boat manufactures use quality recessed lighting in cabins. I was shocked to see premium light fixtures in a Hanse. They were Italian twin LED rectangles very popular in the design world. They have Dutch diodes from Phillips so doesn’t get much better. In a home application Hanse had the trim off a 250€ fixture in a marine shallow housing. My Jeanneau came with Chinese glare bombs which I’ve replaced. I’m using a constant current power supply with RF filters so there is no cheap circuit cross talk. On the Navigation table I’ve a lovely task light from US. Billet aluminum with a 12V diode Red/White. The diode has a 12 controller on board so it can run off clean battery power with a shorter life.

My 30 recessed touch interior Chinese led fittings all survived my recent lightening strike while every piece of Victron and raymarine gear fried .
Old 26-09-2022, 07:24   #10

Quote:
The steaming light is supposed to be used entering and harbour. Tends to tick folks off.
A "steaming light" is used when steaming... i.e., using your engine. It should be used ONLY when using your engine and ALWAYS when using your engine. It has nothing to do with entering a harbor, and why on earth would it piss off?

Where do you make this stuff up from????
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 10:29   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

You may operate your nav lights in clear daylight,if you wish to.
Rule 20c.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Rule 20.PNG Views: 69 Size: 34.3 KB ID: 264989" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 26-09-2022, 10:51   #12

It was my understanding that Option #1 was for motoring, while Option #3 was for sailing. Otherwise, if you motoring under the Option #3 lighting scheme, other vessels are giving way assuming that you are under sail. When motoring under Option #1 there is no confusion that you are appearing as a motor vessel and under the motor vessel rules.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 10:59   #13

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It was my understanding that Option #1 was for motoring, while Option #3 was for sailing. Otherwise, if you motoring under the Option #3 lighting scheme, other vessels are giving way assuming that you are under sail. When motoring under Option #1 there is no confusion that you are appearing as a motor vessel and under the motor vessel rules.
Correct. Option 1 is for motoring. Option 1 with the steaming light turned off, or options 2 or 3 are acceptable for sailing only.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 14:17   #14

Ideally the nav light switches should be set up with a selector switch so the mast top tricolor cannot be illuminated at the same time as the deck level lights. Some come from the factory that way but not all. On my own boat I added that and also wired the masthead (steaming) light through the engine ignition switch. Impossible to have an improper lighting configuration. I've since sold that boat and I bet it has the new owner confused.
Old 26-09-2022, 14:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You can sail with option 1 too, just don't turn on the steaming light. That's why it is (or should be) on it's own switch. On a power boat all the lights come on with one switch as there are no other options.

Tags
navigation