Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2022, 15:17   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Navigation lights (too many)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It was my understanding that Option #1 was for motoring, while Option #3 was for sailing. Otherwise, if you motoring under the Option #3 lighting scheme, other vessels are giving way assuming that you are under sail. When motoring under Option #1 there is no confusion that you are appearing as a motor vessel and under the motor vessel rules.
Option #1 does not show a masthead light, so to say it is for motoring is misleading.
It is the only permitted configuration for motoring but must be used in conjunction with a masthead light.

All three options are "for sailing", but Option 3 is only for use when sailing on a vessel less than 20 metres in length.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 16:47   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Correct. Option 1 is for motoring. Option 1 with the steaming light turned off, or options 2 or 3 are acceptable for sailing only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It was my understanding that Option #1 was for motoring, while Option #3 was for sailing. Otherwise, if you motoring under the Option #3 lighting scheme, other vessels are giving way assuming that you are under sail. When motoring under Option #1 there is no confusion that you are appearing as a motor vessel and under the motor vessel rules.

Option #1 is NOT for motoring or motorsailing, no masthead/steaming light is shown.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 16:49   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Oops, several folks beat me to it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 17:10   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Yup, thanks for catching that. I must have been seeing things when I read the images.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 17:22   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post

The steaming light is supposed to be used entering and harbour. Tends to tick folks off.

You are missing spreader lights. These are amazing docking or at anchorage. The spreader lights can be separated port starboard or fire or aft. Blue or 5,000K is popular for this type of night light.
Cockpit cabin entry red optional lighting is an asset.
Few boat manufactures use quality recessed lighting in cabins. I was shocked to see premium light fixtures in a Hanse. They were Italian twin LED rectangles very popular in the design world. They have Dutch diodes from Phillips so doesn’t get much better. In a home application Hanse had the trim off a 250€ fixture in a marine shallow housing. My Jeanneau came with Chinese glare bombs which I’ve replaced. I’m using a constant current power supply with RF filters so there is no cheap circuit cross talk. On the Navigation table I’ve a lovely task light from US. Billet aluminum with a 12V diode Red/White. The diode has a 12 controller on board so it can run off clean battery power with a shorter life.
1. No. The steaming light is used under power.

2. None of these lights have anything to do with navigation lights which is the subject.
Old 26-09-2022, 17:24   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
My 39' boat came with both option 1 and 3 from the picture, as well as a steaming (?) White light facing forward about halfway up the mast. Is this just a pants and suspenders situation/maybe pants or suspenders situation? Presumably I can only run with one set up illuminated?
p.s. I didn't find a more appropriate forum to post this,
but if there is one, please let me know.
All the rules are here ....
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...r.c.,_c._1416/
Old 29-09-2022, 17:51   #22

Boat: Island Packet 29

I dont care about COLREGS. I use whatever I feel makes me most visible. Im not going to get run over cause some book said I cant turn on my mast tricolor while engine on.

If I have to wave a Q Beam light around, thats what Im doing.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 18:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
I dont care about COLREGS. I use whatever I feel makes me most visible. Im not going to get run over cause some book said I cant turn on my mast tricolor while engine on.

Well, then you're a dangerous idiot and when someone hits you because they can't figure out what the heck they're looking at (due to your confusing light show), I won't feel bad in the slightest.
Old 29-09-2022, 19:15   #24

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Well, then you're a dangerous idiot and when someone hits you because they can't figure out what the heck they're looking at (due to your confusing light show), I won't feel bad in the slightest.
Well my friend then that’s two of us idiots. During crazy season I light up everything I can. I even run two anchor lights, masthead and one two meters above deck. Heck I’ve left the deck lights on all night. I’ll bet you every sport boat lunatic can tell you boats have a red light and green light, but more than half can’t tell you which side they are on. Nope, make me look like the Eiffel Tower.
Old 29-09-2022, 21:14   #25

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post

Mate, I'm with you, and I don't believe that anyone should tell me what side of the road to drive on either let alone what vehicle lights it should have and when to use them..

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 21:47   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Well my friend then that’s two of us idiots. During crazy season I light up everything I can. I even run two anchor lights, masthead and one two meters above deck. Heck I’ve left the deck lights on all night. I’ll bet you every sport boat lunatic can tell you boats have a red light and green light, but more than half can’t tell you which side they are on. Nope, make me look like the Eiffel Tower.
Yep, two "idiots"...

You might note that running two anchor lights, deck lights or other ancillary lights at anchor is OK with COLREGS, and is common enough practice. Running both side lights and the tricolor and steaming (masthead)light concurrently IS NOT OK. You may think it isn't a big deal, but most of us and I'd guess all professional mariners think is is a big sign that you don't care about the rules that are there to protect us from each other... and that, to me, is idiotic.

And BTW, we've run both high and low anchor lights for decades. A good improvement on a single light at the top of the mast.

Jim
Old 30-09-2022, 05:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

Extra lighting at anchor like that is allowed (and actually encouraged) by COLREGS. Nothing wrong with making the boat more visible, the key is to do it without making it confusing. You're 100% doing the right thing at anchor (as I know just how bad the idiot density gets in some areas on this lake).

Underway, you want to stick to the standard light patterns, just implement them as well as you can for maximum visibility. And additional lights are ok, as long as they can't be confused with the nav lights and don't obscure view of the nav lights (so deck lights would be fine as long as they don't drown out the nav lights, but 2 sets of nav lights is not).
Old 30-09-2022, 09:13   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Extra lighting at anchor like that is allowed (and actually encouraged) by COLREGS. Nothing wrong with making the boat more visible, the key is to do it without making it confusing. You're 100% doing the right thing at anchor (as I know just how bad the idiot density gets in some areas on this lake).

Underway, you want to stick to the standard light patterns, just implement them as well as you can for maximum visibility. And additional lights are ok, as long as they can't be confused with the nav lights and don't obscure view of the nav lights (so deck lights would be fine as long as they don't drown out the nav lights, but 2 sets of nav lights is not).

When anchored stick to the correct pattern lights so as not to confuse those of us that actually understand and follow the COLRegs.

The idiots will ignore the lighting anyway even if it’s lit up like a football stadium and will run into you anyway.
Old 30-09-2022, 09:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
When anchored stick to the correct pattern lights so as not to confuse those of us that actually understand and follow the COLRegs.

The idiots will ignore the lighting anyway even if it’s lit up like a football stadium and will run into you anyway.
The colregs allow and encourage use of deck lights, etc. for additional visibility at anchor.

RULE 30
Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.
(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks
Old 30-09-2022, 12:00   #30

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Ive almost been run over in broad daylight with not a cloud in the sky enough times. I guess Im an idiot for trying to make myself more visible at night.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation