Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 19:32   #256

Re: Multihull in distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Quite the opposite....no hate here.
"Its an ill wind that blows nobody, any good."

Do i have to elaborate further?
I have no idea what you are talking about but it's always better to have more eyes on the rig. Especially someone who does it for a living.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 19:37   #257

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about but it's always better to have more eyes on the rig. Especially someone who does it for a living.
100% agree.
After all the bickering and derision here, a customer has been linked with a service provider. Good.
Hence the wind expression.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 20:10   #258

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Quite the opposite....no hate here.
"Its an ill wind that blows nobody any good."

Do i have to elaborate further?

I will.

The definition of an OBOE, a musical instrument:

It's an ill wind that nobody blows good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oboe.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	142888  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 20:35   #259

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

very good.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 21:20   #260

All this talk about cat rigging must be replaced more often is like saying a diesel engine in a semi works harder so it must have a shorter life than a 4 banger in an econobox.....

Yet oddly, in the real world econobox engines have about a 200-250k mile lifespan and the diesel in the semi is hardly broken in.

Assuming the rigging is designed for the expected loads on the cat, there is no reason it won't last just as long assuming you use similar safety margins.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 21:57   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I just LOVE that facts now have ownership. That's MY fact, you can't use it! LOL!!

Way to have the energy to carry on with these stooges, I got tired of it years ago.

Calling Neil a liar is a bridge too far, IMHO. Always the first to throw civility out the window...

Although calling people stooges is fine?

What do you call someone who just invents stuff and represents it as fact?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 22:08   #262

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I just LOVE that facts now have ownership. That's MY fact, you can't use it! LOL!!

Way to have the energy to carry on with these stooges, I got tired of it years ago. As you said, doesn't matter how much logic you bring backed up by links to examples and supporting info, it just doesn't stick.

Calling Neil a liar is a bridge too far, IMHO. Always the first to throw civility out the window...
Normally hate TED talks, click on them for laughs, clicked on this one for a laugh, but it is, strangely, appropriate here. Fast forward to 7:00 if you're a TLDR (CL) victim...

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:22   #263
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yo... I'm a little cornfused. We've experienced 40-50 knots continuous for ten hours and 50-60 knot gusts which have rounded us up on occasion here in the Med.

I don't recall having our mast come down on us.

I've actually heard the suggestion directly from the Leopard cat sales people that the rigs are designed to let go prior to capsize, so I'm thinking the cat here in the Med had that happen. Huge load on the rig, maybe a skipper surprised by the load or underestimating the load, then bam! Down it comes prior to capsize like it should.
WOW! Got ten pages of mileage out of this single post. I didn't really intend to "stir the pot."

Totally factual and direct from the Leopard Co.

So are they my facts, or do they belong to the Leopard Co.? Anyway... it happened whether the cat owners choose to believe it or not.

Jedi,

It's no wonder you took a year off from dealing with some of the stubborn types on CF. Your endurance for putting up with their B.S. is impressive.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:24   #264
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

So they suggested it ... what did they actually say? Did you get any sales info that confirmed this or any documentation that confirmed it?
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:26   #265

Ah, yes. As we all know, sales people deal strictly in facts.

John McEnroe
Old 10-03-2017, 23:31   #266
cruiser

Quote:
Buzz off.

It happened.
Yeah ... .I'm sure it did. But I'm sure you can't recall exactly what they said, eh? Of course it was just a suggestion, right? They didn't say "Yep, the rig will fall over before you capsize; don't worry!" It was all quiet conversations gathered in the cockpit; a conspiratorial wink and a nudge, eh? Hahahahaha

There's certainly nothing on their website about it. That's strange, don't you think?

Of course it's impossible to calculate loads for a multi rig so I'm still trying to get my head around what breaking strain you design the components to without knowing this?

Oh dear... it's like a scene out of Idiocracy!

I'm also curious as to why you edited out your second sentence I've quoted above "It happened" ... I guess I was too quick for you, eh? Lacking commitment to the wind up?

Edited to add: now you've deleted the whole post, eh? Looks like a tacit admission it never happened to me.
Old 10-03-2017, 23:35   #267
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Yeah ... .I'm sure it did. But I'm sure you can't recall exactly what they said, eh? Of course it was just a suggestion, right? They didn't say "Yep, the rig will fall over before you capsize; don't worry!" It was all quiet conversations gathered in the cockpit; a conspiratorial wink and a nudge, eh? Hahahahaha

There's certainly nothing on their website about it. That's strange, don't you think?

Of course it's impossible to calculate loads for a multi rig so I'm still trying to get my head around what breaking strain you design the components to without knowing this?

Oh dear... it's like a scene out of Idiocracy!

I'm also curious as to why you edited out your second sentence I've quoted above "It happened" ... I guess I was too quick for you, eh? Lacking commitment to the wind up?
Please consider taking a long walk on a short pier.

"Have a nice day! "
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:37   #268
cruiser

Quote:
Please consider taking a long walk on a short pier.

"Have a nice day! "
Hahahaha .. what's the matter, did your support wane and you got wobbly legs? A bit of the old jelly spine going on?

Maybe you're talking out of your hat?

You're hilarious

You have yourself a nice day too
Old 10-03-2017, 23:51   #269

So, checking out our brand new,freshly invented "facts".

It's impossible to design a rig for a catamaran.

Even though it is impossible, rigs are designed to fall off just before capsize.

Insurers (but not the one you or I use) demand catamaran rigs be replaced every 7 years.

Salesmen always tell the truth.

Salesmen always know what they're talking about.

John McEnroe
Old 11-03-2017, 02:44   #270
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

If I'd said the following we would all agree I think and close this endless discussions trying to convince everybody that our opinions wins over another one:

-Leopard sale rep has said that the rig would go down before the boat flips. With my experience I don't see this likely as some other forumers. If anybody believes in, this might be a good "fuse" and they buy a Leopard. No problem.
-Some forumers insist that the rig loads cannot be calculated and they are designed on trial an error. I don't believe it as an engineer but if some people does, let it be this way..
-Some says that multi's rigging is more vulnerable hence they should be replaced every 7 years whilst for monos this is 10 years. I say that the multi's rigging is subjet to more load hence designed stronger. Therefore if there is any time span for rigging it should be more or less equal.
-Neilpride is saying that the riggings should be replaced every 7 or 10 years and insurers force this. I am saying that in 30 years in this part of the med I have never seen any dismated boat whether mono or cat. Our boats are fully insured and in this 30 years I've just seen two cats with a broken boom. (one Antares, one Fidji 39 , both as a result of accidental gybing)
-I wish everybody replaced their riggings every 7 or 10 years, half of our business would have been doing this. And we did none, just unstepped masts in a few occasions (for inspection, grounding, collision, etc) and didn't replace any of them. ,They were all repaired, wires,rod terminals or forestay changed, etc.
-We also had a Lavezzi 40 cat with a huge genneaker (not a genoa or gib) unfurled accidentally in 45 kts of gust. He did neither flipped over nor had his 15 years old rigging down.

Everyone is expressing his own view and sharing their experience here, either we take it or ignore it. No need to blame each other .

Happy wekkend to all..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, hull, multihull