Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2021, 12:03   #16

Re: Much much am I being ripped off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
I just recently sold my 37', and here were the charges for a well known marina in Annapolis. They were charging me for a 38' though.

Haul to winter storage: $237.50
Power wash: $66.50
Block: $104.50
Tarp: $47.50
Environmental surcharge: $22

On launch they charged:

Jackstands: $33
Launch: $237.50
Environmental surcharge: $22

So a total of $770.50 in charges and then storage was $333/mo.

I would haul out every other year and then only for 3-4 months
I guess in areas where a winter haul out is optional owners have more flexibility and thus choices. Here in MA most if not all harbormasters do not allow pleasure craft to remain on the moorings, so I have 2 choices - haulout and storage on the hard at about $65/ft, October through May, or keeping her in wet storage at few marinas allowing it, at about $50-60/ft but with additional costs of hiring bottom cleaning in the Spring, ice preventers in the water, etc.

And the storage costs are rising fast since in the last several years we had 2 or 3 yards closed or downsized by real estate developers so the spill over is creating a demand pressure on the remaining yards. When I first hauled out in 2006 the winter storage with haul out was about $35/foot, may be a bit more. Some places in the state are $85-110/ft for the winter.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 12:03   #17

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
...Why some marina would have a lift inadequate to handle their customer’s boats is a marina problem, not the boat owner’s.
What's their problem? On the one hand you spend $$$$$ to provide a new travel hoist adequately sized to lift your customers boats; on the other hand, you spend nothing and instead charge the customers an additional $540 a pop to get around your equipment's shortcomings thereby making $$$$$. The marina has anything but a problem.
I have had to disconnect/re-connect either fore or backstay on a few occasions (small travel lifts, more often a crane/sling lift) but have never been charged for it.
Old 30-11-2021, 12:04   #18

Boat: Adams 45

My marina in Pasadena, MD, near Baltimore, charges $14/ft for haul, power wash, block and launch, so $630 for my 45-foot boat. They remove and reconnect 2 forestays with furlers- no additional charge. 5 months storage is an additional $1300, so about $2,000 total for the winter.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 12:13   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

all bargains

safe harbor RI Narragansett Bay

42'

Outside storage 3000 Nov-Apr (by square feet)
wash 250
block 250
mast removed and stored 780
shrink wrap 2000 with recycle/env charge (amazing winter storm proof full framed...)

boating is expensive - but this is my last winter on the hard...and it is a great yard with excellent amenities and DIY supported.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 12:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
What's their problem? On the one hand you spend $$$$$ to provide a new travel hoist adequately sized to lift your customers boats; on the other hand, you spend nothing and instead charge the customers an additional $540 a pop to get around your equipment's shortcomings thereby making $$$$$. The marina has anything but a problem.
I have had to disconnect/re-connect either fore or backstay on a few occasions (small travel lifts, more often a crane/sling lift) but have never been charged for it.
This was exactly my feeling after seeing the bill.. other marinas I have not had to disconnect anything. If their lift is too small (doubt it, there are some really big boats here) why should I be charged extra?
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 12:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
all bargains

42'

wash 250
block 250
shrink wrap 2000 with recycle/env charge (amazing winter storm proof full framed...)

boating is expensive - but this is my last winter on the hard...and it is a great yard with excellent amenities and DIY supported.
That does seem quite a bit..!
Old 30-11-2021, 13:01   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Much much am I being ripped off?

I’ll disconnect backstays all day long for 50% of the rate they’re charging!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 13:43   #23

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

You are not getting ripped off if you aksed for the fees upfront and were told what they were. If you didn't do that, it's on you.

If you did get the prices ahead of time and then were charged more, you have an issue.

I an just happy that never in all the years that I have been boating (since 1976) have I had to haul my boat out for the winter. Even in Pacific NorthWest we sailed all winter. In Mexico, people haul out for the summer, except I don't.

I am also happy that never in all my years of boating have I hired anyone to disconnect anything on my mast. I do it or it does not get done.

In fact I have never been absent when the boat was hauled or launched, any of my boats. I am there and if it needs doing I either do it or I supervise it.

If we pay others to do things on our boats when we are gone we pay more and have little negotiating power over what they charge.

Travel lifts often require removal of either the backstay or forestay, it depends on the length of the travel lift vs the length on deck of your boat, also, how high they have to lift it relative to the height of the beams. If it is the backstay that comes off it usually results in issues with the SSB antenna, so I am happy the travel lifts here in Mexico are pretty big.
Old 30-11-2021, 13:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
You are not getting ripped off if you aksed for the fees upfront and were told what they were. If you didn't do that, it's on you.

If you did get the prices ahead of time and then were charged more, you have an issue.

I an just happy that never in all the years that I have been boating (since 1976) have I had to haul my boat out for the winter. Even in Pacific NorthWest we sailed all winter. In Mexico, people haul out for the summer, except I don't.

I am also happy that never in all my years of boating have I hired anyone to disconnect anything on my mast. I do it or it does not get done.

In fact I have never been absent when the boat was hauled or launched, any of my boats. I am there and if it needs doing I either do it or I supervise it.

If we pay others to do things on our boats when we are gone we pay more and have little negotiating power over what they charge.

Travel lifts often require removal of either the backstay or forestay, it depends on the length of the travel lift vs the length on deck of your boat, also, how high they have to lift it relative to the height of the beams. If it is the backstay that comes off it usually results in issues with the SSB antenna, so I am happy the travel lifts here in Mexico are pretty big.
Well, I knew how much haul + jackstands would cost, but no idea they were going to charge me over $500 for disconnecting the backstay.

This yard doesn't tell you when they are hauling.
Old 30-11-2021, 14:02   #25
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

This is a picture at haul out this year. The lift is large enough for the recreational boats commonly in the 1000 Islands, I think it'll do 15' beam and 30 tons. Boats come here specifically because there are not many lifts of this size.

Many boats are lifted with the mast up. We prefer to take it down. Easier to cover and we're painting it, 10 feet at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Travel Lift.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	249118  
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 14:05   #26
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Well, I knew how much haul + jackstands would cost, but no idea they were going to charge me over $500 for disconnecting the backstay.
Whoa! That would be a deal breaker for me...we are always there whatever they do to the boat. Our yard performs services at the owner's convenience, not otherwise.

It's not that we don't trust them, but it's our baby!

They also allow basically unlimited DIY.

We welded up a massive cradle, cut down from one that held a 40 foot sailboat. We don't trust jackstands that much.
Old 30-11-2021, 14:12   #27
SuW

Quote:
Did they have to loosen a furler on the forestay to take the backstay off? Some of those are tricky.
Old 30-11-2021, 14:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Did they have to loosen a furler on the forestay to take the backstay off? Some of those are tricky.
No, if they did they didn't need to.
Old 30-11-2021, 14:37   #29

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

Maybe I was not clear enough. Before you contract to have your boat hauled you need to find out what services they offer and what they cost. If they don't volunteer that information you need to ask a written quote.

If they charge you for something that is not on the agreement, then you are being ripped off.

One thing I would not accept is that they would not notify me as to the date and time ahead of time.

But I think that the yards in the NE have so much to do every fall (and again in the spring) that they just do it and the owners have gotten complacent about it, which opens the door to surprises.
Old 30-11-2021, 15:10   #30

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
all bargains

42'

wash 250
block 250

“Safe Harbor” those words send me running out to the most fierce of storms. Ha ha. I have a better chance of coming out alive and with most of my money.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote