Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2021, 08:52   #1

Much much am I being ripped off?

Second year hauling the boat at this yard, wondering how usual these charges are. Last year we pulled the mast and with Covid that was a whole other fiasco (it sometimes takes me a while to learn my lesson - I guess I may want to look at another yard next winter...)

Location is south Raritan bay in NJ.

Winter storage came to $1,776 for a 37' sailboat. This is OK - about what I have paid elsewhere.

But, then of course they rent you the jackstands (first time for me, but ok) which comes to $330 (10 stands at $33 each) but I knew of this last year and expected a ~$2k bill which is ok.

Then, they add a charge of $540 to disconnect the backstay. I guess they have a small travel lift? Unsure... but I never had to do this when hauling my boat. $540 to disconnect and reconnect a backstay (without being notified first, just billed for it) seems outrageous.

With tax, a "chem comply" charge, etc.. it comes to a little over $3k for winter storage. I paid around $2k in a more densely populated and easier to access (by water) area a few winters ago, so $3k is really making me feel like I'm being ripped off in a big way.

I used to pay under $3k for a slip for the summer in Great Kills...
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 08:58   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Much much am I being ripped off?

No more than the rest of us!

I feel really scammed by my current place also. And no others are any cheaper anyway, so I’m stuck. The funny part about mine is that I’m not a live aboard, just came to work on the boat. I can’t even stay one night on the boat because of my health issues surrounding construction of it. But I get charged a live aboard fee. This live aboard fee is 20% of the price of the slip. And the funny thing? They were kind of bragging about how they didn’t increase the rates. This live aboard fee didn’t exist last year. Lol. I call that a 20% rate increase.

I’m sure every person here who has to use a marina has almost the same story. They are taking advantage right now because boating is currently so popular. I’m excited for hard times to come to them again.

I like a good, hard recession to keep greed (and inflation) in check.
Old 30-11-2021, 09:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
No more than the rest of us!

I feel really scammed by my current place also. And no others are any cheaper anyway, so Iím stuck. The funny part about mine is that Iím not a live aboard, just came to work on the boat. I canít even stay one night on the boat because of my health issues surrounding construction of it. But I get charged a live aboard fee. This live aboard fee is 20% of the price of the slip. And the funny thing? They were kind of bragging about how they didnít increase the rates. This live aboard fee didnít exist last year. Lol. I call that a 20% rate increase.

Iím sure every person here who has to use a marina has almost the same story. They are taking advantage right now because boating is currently so popular. Iím excited for hard times to come to them again.

I like a good, hard recession to keep greed (and inflation) in check.
Yeah I guess. It is remarkable how they seem to treat their customers, too. I would never respond to my clients that way!

I am at the yacht club for the summer so at least I can save a little on the summer slip fees.
Old 30-11-2021, 09:11   #4

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

[QUOTE=

Then, they add a charge of $540 to disconnect the backstay. I guess they have a small travel lift? Unsure... but I never had to do this when hauling my boat. $540 to disconnect and reconnect a backstay (without being notified first, just billed for it) seems outrageous.
.[/QUOTE]

$540 to disconnect the backstay does seem a little over the top. And as I think about it...do they back the boat in to lift it ? It seems odd to do the backstay, doesn't it ? Either way, I would have wanted to know about that upfront. And I would have tried to see if I could simply do it myself ahead of time to save that seemingly too expensive charge...
Old 30-11-2021, 09:21   #5

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Is your backstay particularly complex, or it just as simple as removing a cotter pin and twisting the turnbuckle? If it’s the latter, $540 for the backstay is absolutely a ripoff. If it’s the former then that’s still an extreme charge. Either way, it makes zero sense unless they backed the boat into the lift. I wouldn’t hesitate to challenge it.
Old 30-11-2021, 10:47   #6
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Those prices don't seem totally unreasonable, to me.

We pay about $3000 Canadian per year (about $2400 USD), haul in haul out, blocking, storage (with power), mast down and up again, mast storage, and summer dockage (no power). Prices haven't increased in several years.

We do all the prep work ourselves, sling blankets, loosen stays, remove furlers and so on. We winterize the engine ourselves and put up winter frame and cover.

We have a cradle for the boat (we bought jackstands for the last boat) and we installed solar panels to avoid plugging in to the dock ($350 per year).

We are at a fairly rural marina above the last lock on the St. Lawrence before the 1000 Islands. Several hundred boats here, about 40 in summer dockage.

We moved here because we would be near this boatyard
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 10:54   #7
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Is your backstay particularly complex, or it just as simple as removing a cotter pin and twisting the turnbuckle? If itís the latter, $540 for the backstay is absolutely a ripoff. If itís the former then thatís still an extreme charge. Either way, it makes zero sense unless they backed the boat into the lift. I wouldnít hesitate to challenge it.
A travel lift usually has to have either the fore stay or back stay removed to lift a boat with the mast up. A few boats with unstayed masts obviously are the exception.

We prefer to have our mast taken down every year before haul out. About $350 Canadian for a simple boat with single spreaders and two foresail furlers, half an hour. Each way.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 11:05   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Even though you are in the NE, that seems a bit much for a 37'. The add-ons seem a bit much.

Would look around for another yard with a bigger lift/longer arms so you need to undo the back stay. Any 20-25 ton lift should be able to lift you.
Bill O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 11:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Is your backstay particularly complex, or it just as simple as removing a cotter pin and twisting the turnbuckle? If itís the latter, $540 for the backstay is absolutely a ripoff. If itís the former then thatís still an extreme charge. Either way, it makes zero sense unless they backed the boat into the lift. I wouldnít hesitate to challenge it.
The most simple backstay you can get... just a turnbuckle and two pins. Nothing hanging off it, no pigtail, nothing.
Old 30-11-2021, 11:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
A travel lift usually has to have either the fore stay or back stay removed to lift a boat with the mast up. A few boats with unstayed masts obviously are the exception.

We prefer to have our mast taken down every year before haul out. About $350 Canadian for a simple boat with single spreaders and two foresail furlers, half an hour. Each way.
I have never had to do that at three prior marinas, but I guess maybe they had larger lifts.
Old 30-11-2021, 11:55   #11

Boat: Caliber 28

I pay about $1300 for 34' boat total. I've never had to take the backstay or forestay off...travel lifts can do it with them on. One marina I used to use started forcing people to buy a winter package, so you had to pay for storage and some sort of service.
Rackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 12:04   #12

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:

I've never had to do that, on boats up to 36 feet mast up or down. In Michigan, where nearly all boats get hauled every year. They would have charged to drop the mast, but my yard has a hand operated gin pole they let us use for free. It's the least expensive place on Muskegon Lake, last year was $940 including haul, pressure wash, and launch for a 36 footer. And they don't charge for the jack stands, the only yard I've been in that didn't. Guess I'm lucky being here hearing what it costs in other places. Especially considering with our short boating season we spend more time out of the water than in.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 12:22   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:

Never been in a marina where the travel lift was so small as to require removal of anything to haul any boat weíve ever owned.

Why some marina would have a lift inadequate to handle their customerís boats is a marina problem, not the boat ownerís.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 12:50   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: TBD

I just recently sold my 37', and here were the charges for a well known marina in Annapolis. They were charging me for a 38' though.

Haul to winter storage: $237.50
Power wash: $66.50
Block: $104.50
Tarp: $47.50
Environmental surcharge: $22

On launch they charged:

Jackstands: $33
Launch: $237.50
Environmental surcharge: $22

So a total of $770.50 in charges and then storage was $333/mo.

I would haul out every other year and then only for 3-4 months.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 12:58   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Youíre within 10% of our costs. Minus the BS backstay charge. Go talk nice to the yard about that.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote