Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2024, 22:01   #61

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Moody 49 lost on bar at Bahia del Sol, El Salvador

The beginning of the third paragraph in the image in Jedi's post is a bit of a give away where it says "tidal current is strong".

My limited experience with bars under the influence of "tidal current is strong" is that they can turn from relatively mild "rising swell" to very nasty "breaking waves" in a very short period of time.
Old 20-03-2024, 10:19   #62

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I talked to a buddy who just passed over the bar a few days ago. He and his family waited a couple of weeks for the really high tide to come and that's when they left. No problems, followed the ponga both in and out. The other thing he noted was the moody has a bolt on keel and skeg hung rudder. Not as bulletproof as an encapsulated keel.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 11:36   #63

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was surprised by the clean break on the keel stub showing little fiberglass damage. Wonder if there was previously unrepaired damage to the keelbolts.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 11:37   #64

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I was surprised by the clean break on the keel stub showing little fiberglass damage. Wonder if there was previously unrepaired damage to the keelbolts.
I was too. Could be corroded keel bolts as well
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 12:00   #65

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
From the appearance I'm wondering if that's actually the keel stub or if the keel itself snapped and the first bit is still attached to the hull.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 12:50   #66

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
My limited experience with bars under the influence of "tidal current is strong" is that they can turn from relatively mild "rising swell" to very nasty "breaking waves" in a very short period of time.
This is important to note for any bar entrance. I kept various boats for years in a harbor with a bar entrance, and there were many times we had to wait around for the current to reverse and/or for the tide to be higher to either exit or enter. And, there were days you couldn't pay me any amount of money to attempt the bar! The ideal time to enter was near high tide at slack or with the current heading in. Low tide with the current pouring out against the incoming waves would be bad, and it was dramatic how much it changed.
Old 22-03-2024, 12:33   #67

Boat: Norseman 447

I was in BDS in May 2000. I’d been given a GPS position to wait for the panga. When I tried to plot it on the charts, most of them had the entrance at the NORTH end of the bay, not at the south end where it is now. All my log says it that the entrance was “exciting!" I remember that I was told to have everything tied down when I left. One of the two other boats told me "I’ve never surfed down a wave on a 71’ boat."
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:42   #68

Boat: Moody 49

Just to correct one point, of the many you make. After the disaster, the port authorities and police and Navy officials guaranteed and armed presence to secure Rum Truffle
Indeed an armed guard/patrol was still on the beach 72 hours later. They had been ordered to watch the yacht. They did just that. They even watched all the looting as well.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 20:58   #69

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thurlow View Post
Just to correct one point, of the many you make. After the disaster, the port authorities and police and Navy officials guaranteed and armed presence to secure Rum Truffle
Indeed an armed guard/patrol was still on the beach 72 hours later. They had been ordered to watch the yacht. They did just that. They even watched all the looting as well.
Mark, the unnecessary loss of your boat is horrifying to me. Maybe I've spent too many years in the safety of Vermont and am too sheltered from the realities of cruising outside the US (trying to refrain here from saying third world countries). I'm astounded that the looting of your boat hasn't been discussed here. Is the topic taboo? Was it somehow expected? I don't get it. I'm so sorry that this all happened to you. Bad enough to run aground so severely to result in a broach. The immediate ensuing vultures robbing you of absolutely everything is beyond my obviously naïve comprehension. For shame that the local authorities, innkeepers, and marina owners allowed this to happen. I wish you the best as you move forward.
nwh10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 22:37   #70

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@nwh10, topic is not taboo on CF, but it tends to be a hot topic that brings out posts with political positions. Political discussion is only allowed here within the context of cruising or sailing. Posts will be deleted as soon as read if they are political without the context.

Some years ago now, a boat was blown up and tide rode onto Ocean Beach, the west side of the peninsula where San Francisco City is located. Looting occurred almost before the boat came to rest, in spite of the occupants (a husband and wife) begging for the looters to leave the boat alone. So, right here in River City, as it were, looting has occurred in the latter half of my life, anyway.

Ann
Old 04-04-2024, 03:47   #71

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Looting can happen anywhere, but I will add that is one reason cruising in New England is so refreshing--no theft to speak of. I have been on the scene of many boats on the beach and I have never witnessed nor heard of any theft. It is not uncommon in many harbors for the locals and transients to just leave dinghies tied up to the dinghy dock or on a beach all summer long complete with motor, lifejackets, and all gear and no lock. I'm sure boats are occasionally stolen and gear is occasionally taken from some beached boat, but it is rare here in New England.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:44   #72

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thurlow View Post
Mark, we met you at La Cruz last summer at one of the many game nights during the sweltering summer. We know you’re a prudent and experienced mariner. We are heartbroken for your loss and so glad you are okay. It’s ridiculous to hear the authorities were onsite during the looting. That’s really miserable. We hope for the best for you.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 13:02   #73

Boat: 2005 Albin 35CB

Thanks Ann. I’m well aware of the forum rule. �� I didn’t think about how a discussion like this could deteriorate.
I didn’t know about that incident in Ocean Beach.
I'm glad to live and boat where theft is rare and looting is unheard of.
nwh10 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bahia, lost