Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2024, 01:02   #1

Best places around the world to buy a used sailboat?

Hey there,

First off, as a brief introductionand to spare questions down the road, I'm in my early 50ies, based in Germany and for quite some time entertaining the idea to go bluewater sailing. Most of my sailing and boating knowledge as of yet is theoretical - however I did a sailing course a couple of years ago. I have and do study stuff on sailing like I read Harry Pidgeon, Bernard Moitessier, Bob Griffith and others.

My plan is to build a dinghy to learn the ropes while the kids are still small, then eventually travel some place likley to be able to buy a good value used boat, refurbish it, do some coastal cruising/smaller trips and whern feeling ready go for the long haul.

Now, since I'm living in Germany far inland off the coast and moving there is not an option and since I consider Germany (unlike the Netherlands or the UK), not a particularly good place to buy a used boat, I was wondering If the keen users here could point me to places where to buy one?

Obviously, California and Florida seem to be good places, some people say looking around marinas in southern Spain might be worth a try.

Basically, my train of thought is, that since going cruising would mean a significant change in life style, I wouldn't have to start at home, right? Btw. I did some long term traveling before, just not by boat - so change of life style and living abroad isn't new to me.

All info, thoughts, etc. much appreciated.
Johnny Bagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 01:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Best places around the world to buy a used sailboat?

Rather than buy a yacht now, how about making best use of your time and take the family sailing on a charter yacht a couple of times a year. The Med is just a couple of hour away by flight and if you don't mind going out of the high season rates should be much more affordable in the Spring or late Autumn.

It doesn't need to be a 40ft cat, a 33ft mono hull will do just nicely.

There are a plethora of charter companies, this is just one:

https://www.neilson.co.uk/sailing/our-yachts
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 05:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best places around the world to buy a used sailboat?

I would look more locally, Denmark, Nederlerlands for example.. boats tend to be in better shape generally as many are hauled out for the winter months and stored in sheds.
Southern Spain a lot of boats are tired and sunburnt, owners have sailed South and parked them up using for holidays and neglecting the rest of the year, plus they have the 'Sunshine' premium.
Scanboats.com is a good site to start.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 05:57   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

There are many places up and down the East Coast of North America where you can look at a lot of boats in a smallish area. Rhode Island (where Newport is located) is home to many thousands of boats. Same with the Annapolis area. A fun trip for you might be to visit the Annapolis sailboat show in early October, with some boatyard visits. But, first look into what you need to do as a German purchasing a US boat in terms of taxes, registration, etc. Keep in mind it is my understanding that you would have to pay VAT upon returning to Germany.
Old 15-03-2024, 06:01   #5

Thank you for your response.

Problem is, for insurance reasons one would need a proper sailing and most likely a radio certificate for charter, which means time and money I can't (and don't want to) dedicate to it right now. Plus I dislike the idea of getting expensive and time consuming certificates to just "allow" me to operate a vessel but which fails to truely enable a user (therefore practical experience is needed which hardly comes from a piece of paper).

Not that you'd think of me as gung-ho and irresponsible, I'm not. For instance, I once obtained the basic motor boating license here in Germany which is required from 15hp upwards, which in hindsight was a joke. Especially since it is only valid for coastal motoring and not inland on lakes and motorways. You have to a seperate one. BUT - if you additionally pass the theoretical test for the decicated Lake Constance license (largest lake here bordering Germany, Austria and Switzerland, therefore tricky rules) even if you never plan on sailing there, you get the inland license on top it - if you apply for it. Where's the logic here?

Plus all the vital stuff like good seamanship, choice of equipement, proper storm tactics and so on is up to you anyway.

I'd rather go sailing with experienced people who can sail and learn from them, which is also not an option at the moment since I lack those kind of contacts.

Also, my thoughts are in general rather towards longterm change of lifestyle some time in the future, than holidaying.

Long story short - no, this is not an option.
Old 15-03-2024, 06:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Keep in mind it is my understanding that you would have to pay VAT upon returning to Germany.
I'd plan to not be a resident of Germany any more once on the road, plus I'd rather be looking at inexpensive boats that might need a decent amount of fixing. My thoughts here are that they are A cheaper to be had and B, that I would start with a freshly refurbished and rigged vessel, that I ideally done myself, than an "OK" boat that I had to trust the former owners/surveyors word.

It is similar to used cars - if you really want to save money, you better buy cheaper with known issues and have all the issues fixed (yourself)... rather than taking someone's word on a shiny car and you still have to fix stuff ...

But even if I decide to remain a resident of Germany a less expensive boat will mean less VAT.
Old 15-03-2024, 06:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Scanboats.com is a good site to start.
Will check it out, thanks!
Old 15-03-2024, 23:59   #8

Boat: Beneteau 36CC

Hello,
I’m wondering about your plans more specifically.
What is your projected schedule and budget ?
10 years hence?
20 ?
Now you say you are in your 50s.
From personal experience, 50s is much stronger than 60s and and 60s is much more capable than 70s.
In my life I’ve observed many projects not completed or utilized primarily due to age, I find that rather sad.
I don’t have a operational crystal ball ( btw, if you have one and want to sell please let me know, I’m definitely in the market! ) but without the ball I would suggest we all are better at a younger age; perhaps if you ponder your situation you will be able to move forward before it’s too late.
Just my thoughts , take them for what they are worth.
Best of luck in all things!
Sailorichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2024, 00:43   #9

Boat: X442

I don't understand why you'd want to build the dinghy, presumably your first sailing boat. Why not buy a stable largish daysailer (my mind goes back to the Wayfarer from my UK days, not sure about today's equivalent) so the whole family can straight away join in and discover the joy of sailing (or not, could be you/they don't like it which is also a very acceptable result).

If I could do it again: family daysailer, packed lunches, towels, small outboard, go when the weather is good... potentially pure family fun!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2024, 01:32   #10

Good search engine in here if you haven't found it already.
https://www.yachtworld.com/

One downside of buying in the US is you'll likely have a boat with lots of imperial fasteners instead of metric.
barcoMeCasa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2024, 02:59   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would look more locally, Denmark, Nederlerlands for example.. boats tend to be in better shape generally as many are hauled out for the winter months and stored in sheds...
... Scanboats.com is a good site to start.
Plus, Scandinavian [& N. Euro'] boats might be better suited, to your high latitude ambitions [Beagle Chanel, Viking Route]

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 18:58   #12

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Are you near a lake with a yacht club? Buy an old used one the easiest to handle they race - you and kids will have a ball and learn a huge amount. In a year or two go into the national championships which may be on a bay - or even the sea. I have no idea where you are. If you consider getting a ticket for chartering too expensive then you will be in for a rude shock when owning a bigger BOAT
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 09:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

OP, You wrote: "I'd plan to not be a resident of Germany any more once on the road, plus I'd rather be looking at inexpensive boats that might need a decent amount of fixing."

That line opens up Langkawi, Phuket, and the Philippines. You would get far more vessel for your money, be in the best location to do extensive repairs using skilled trained labor that is affordable, and can provide a completely different living experience for your family.

Check out PGYC sail boats for sale.
Also Langkawi has tons of vessels.

Welcome to the cruising community.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 12:45   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

I think you’d be best off going to Granada or Trinidad in the Caribbean to buy a used boat, fixer up a touch, and learn how she handles in easy sailing waters. You could spend years just bouncing about.

Use Yachtworld to scan what’s visible for sale there.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 12:46   #15

Tahiti or Fiji, a lot of bargains to be picked up, mostly kitted out for liveaboard live and you’re in the best cruising area in the world.
Angus Beaumont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, round the world, sail, sailboat