Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 09:42   #16

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum
Re: Miami boat show strictly sail died February 14, 2018

Too true, unfortunately.
I've been coming down to Strictly Sail for the last six years. At Bayside, we had three seminar tents for cruisers, last year down to two tents. The seminars were outstanding, especially John Kretshmer (of "Flirting with Mermaids" fame) and of course Pam Wall and her husband, George Day, Jimmy Cornell...it was so worth the price of admission. The display booths for gear was specifically tailored to sailors. And the sailboats offered were inspirational. What stands out in contrast to Annapolis is the amazing number and variety of not only new boats, but the pre-owned magnificent sailboats.
As mentioned, the traffic and parking of the now all-in-one approach is a nightmare. Also, the charm that Bayside docks and vendors offered us sailors is missing.
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 10:17   #17

Boat: Antares 44i

I spoke to the owner of one of the builders as we were waiting in the interminably long (two+ hour!!) line to catch a water taxi back to Bayside at the end of the day. He said that the combined shows made it much less valuable for his customers, and massively inconvenient to him. He also said that this is his last boat show">Miami Boat Show. The Simply Sail concept was great. By combining the shows, I'm afraid it's on its way to Simply Power!
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 10:43   #18

How much is a correlation to fuel prices?

Back before gas prices first topped $2/gal, I saw a gradual decrease in the sail offerings but when gas shot up to $4/gal, the sail came back. Probably people thinking it would be cheaper to get a sail boat.

Now with gas back down near $2/gal for a while, lots of people are leaning back toward power boats.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 11:19   #19

Boat: LIPARI 41

i have been going for the last 15 years and bought 2 boats at the show unless they seperate out strictly sail will never go back to crowded and traffic was a nightmare on friday
seaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 11:21   #20

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaclone View Post
...unless they separate out strictly sail will never go back...
+1 Getting shoe-horned in the power boat show is a non-starter. I guess we'll just get by with Annapolis.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 12:02   #21

Boat: Morgan 34 CB,

I was at the Miami boat show last week Friday and Saturday. I have been to Miami boat show two other times. Frankly I will not return. The number of booth selling boating items seamed to be greatly reduced. The sail boats that were in the water were more than I can ever afford.
Getting there was substantial hassle. On Friday by 11pm the AAA lot [$25]was full only valet was available at [$50] with tip. Then an hour buss ride there. We were warred by boat show personnel, you need to leave before 4PM or it will be a much longer wait time to get on a buss or the boat. We returned by boat wait time a good 45 minutes to board, but a much better 30 minute ride back. The boat personnel were great! Want a drink of water $4.50 even if you bought a $30 sandwich at the restaurant . No drinking water available otherwise. Never again as there are other boat shows that are better and cost less.
Denny Vitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 16:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
In Richmond CA, what used to be called "Strictly Sail" died last year. It is now "Pacific Sail and Power."

https://pacificboatshow.com/
Attended last three years. New Richmond site developing and I think everything will work out with time. Lots of parking, unlike old Jack London site. Jimmy Cornell still giving his great lectures.
Zhyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 16:05   #23

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Miami is the pits for traffic anyway, and you will soon need to show a passport to go there.
50% of the time now you need an interpreter.
Old 21-02-2018, 16:24   #24

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

Sad...
So sad...
Have gone for 8 years...
Was done looking at equipment in 3 hrs...
Not a power boat fan...
Traffic & parking & shuttle...unreal
Admiral & I said it's our last show...
Looking forward to Annapolis in Oct
Old 21-02-2018, 16:30   #25

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Yes, it was terribly expensive, but my wife and I had a great time. We got credentials from a vendor which only saved us the cost of admission, but we fully used the in-early privileges and we left late Thursday and very late Friday, 4 pm on Saturday. Except for taking time to eat we spent the whole day buying things and learning about those things that we haven’t yet bought for the catamaran we have coming in August. No, the show was definitely not perfect but we had a great time.
Old 21-02-2018, 17:51   #26

I'm very happy for you! August can't come too soon for you!!!

The exhibitors were very friendly...
Old 22-02-2018, 19:32   #27

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

While I'm saddened to hear all these reports, it is consoling. We almost moved heaven and earth to go to this show, for the first time. I thought it would be so great. At least now I'm not sorry for having missed it.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 19:36   #28

Annapolis in Oct!!!
Old 22-02-2018, 21:33   #29

Last time I was at Miami boat show (or was it FLL?) was years ago, before I was a boat owner. All I remember were the hassles and not much else. I used to go to Newport, RI in September, especially on a Sunday, when the street parking was free. Not sure if it is still free as I have skipped it for a few years now as they are also moving toward condocats and away from having a variety of sailboats. Though some tents had free drinks and such, which after 5 or 6 made the attendance worthwhile.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 17:18   #30

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
Strictly Sail in Oakland had almost as many power boats as sail 4 years ago, the last time I went. When I first started sailing the Long Beach Boat Show was King on the West Coast. They had multple 50 to 65 footers out of the water. And literally hundreds of boats spread out over their property and across the street in the water. It was truly a multi day event to see it all if you only went for 8 hours a day. Now, because our boat is pretty much outfitted to our liking, we prefer more intimate boat shows, like the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show. Even though at sixty five I do not have enough time left to own a wooden boat, I enjoy the culture and beauty of them still.
May I respectfully correct you fatherchronic ... At Port Townsend, it is not a "show" it is a ... FESTIVAL ... one of the very best in north America. I've been attending it for a great many years and I want to tell you there is a distinct difference between a show and a festival. People attend the festival not to purchase a boat, but to soak in the "wooden boat culture". Wooden boats are beautiful. They seem to sail far better than those built of other materials. Certainly they are much quieter when cutting through the water, and they are much warmer. They have far more character. The only power boats you will see at Port Townsend are genuine classics. By far the majority of vessels will be sail, many of which are owner-built and some beautiful workmanship and materials many of you cannot afford or are unwilling to pay for. Quality costs money.

With availability of the current epoxy type adhesives, wooden boats are a viable alternative to the plastic jelly-beans. I myself went half way. I bought a glass hull and deck assembly and finished it with teak and yellow cedar both inside and out, including 1/2" thick bonded teak deck. Many folk look at it and think it is all wood. It is the only boat that most people stop to look at when walking the docks. It gets lots of compliments. So I often wonder WHY so many respondents to this forum are so negative toward such a boat finish?

I believe the cost of living is the sole cause of younger folk not joining the sailing fraternity. Also, the cost of real estate has affected the cost of marina space, making it unaffordable to most middle class folk who used to make up the majority of club members.

What I find hard to understand is, why would society's younger generation, who tend to be "GREEN" go for POWER, when the wind is free, it's a renewable resource, and, best of all, no government has yet discovered how to tax it?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show, miami, miami boat show, sail