Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 16:53   #1
cruiser

Med Mooring

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 20:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Med Mooring

Yep.... and thats one of the challenges with teaching people to turn around at the helm.. they say its so you can drive it like a car.. right is right.. left is left... but forward is actually backwards when it comes to the engine/transmission controls...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 20:40   #3

Boat: Tartan 40

Yeah and it looks like her shift handle is actually reversed so FWD requires handle toward stern and vice versa.

My guess is credit card captain...
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:18   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

If you're not bored backing into a key, you're going too fast!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon

I'm sure you know the saying "never approach a dock faster then you're willing to hit it"
Old 07-08-2018, 07:04   #6

Boat: Leopard 39

I had a teacher who had me practice backing up against other yachts. When I asked him why, he replied "People are always more cautious backing up against expensive yachts than they are against a seawall."
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:29   #7

“Forward. Forward. The OTHER forward.”
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
“Forward. Forward. The OTHER forward.”
And she was doing it right.. just needed to give her some more throttle...
Old 07-08-2018, 13:33   #9

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

She needed waaaay more forward throttle. She had the boat tracking in pretty straight, but it was still moving pretty fast toward the dock even though she put the throttle in forward. Then instead of more forward throttle, she lessens it to a forward idle position which is really not helpful. But what bothers me the most is that when the guy falls in the water, she puts the throttle into reverse instead of neutral. Spinning props and swimmers?

Taking a little time to practice stopping the boat in open water and getting the feel for it's momentum before trying to dock it would have helped a lot.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 14:49   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

She actually puts the boat in forward twice with a few bursts of throttle and then the final time in reverse with a big burst of throttle.

There wasn't much wind blowing as far as I could tell so not much reason to go that fast, but often there is. If your dropping an anchor and trying to hold your course, you have to go fast, even if you have a bow thruster.

Stuff like this happens all the time. I totally failed once when tying up to the quay in Poros. A guy came up and told me to pull the boat further off because the ferry wash was really big there. But I was at the max for my improvised gangway so didn't. Needless to say, a ferry did come by about 10 minutes later and the wake power drove my stern into the quay resulting in about 1000 euro of damage. The advice giver had to come by not once, but twice to remind me "I told you".
Old 07-08-2018, 14:57   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSlue View Post
She needed waaaay more forward throttle. She had the boat tracking in pretty straight, but it was still moving pretty fast toward the dock even though she put the throttle in forward. Then instead of more forward throttle, she lessens it to a forward idle position which is really not helpful. But what bothers me the most is that when the guy falls in the water, she puts the throttle into reverse instead of neutral. .
Loos to me like she puts it into neutral.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 15:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Loos to me like she puts it into neutral.
The stick is not straight up at the end of the video, more like reverse idle, not neutral.
Old 07-08-2018, 16:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
She actually puts the boat in forward twice with a few bursts of throttle and then the final time in reverse with a big burst of throttle.

There wasn't much wind blowing as far as I could tell so not much reason to go that fast, but often there is. If your dropping an anchor and trying to hold your course, you have to go fast, even if you have a bow thruster.

Stuff like this happens all the time. I totally failed once when tying up to the quay in Poros. A guy came up and told me to pull the boat further off because the ferry wash was really big there. But I was at the max for my improvised gangway so didn't. Needless to say, a ferry did come by about 10 minutes later and the wake power drove my stern into the quay resulting in about 1000 euro of damage. The advice giver had to come by not once, but twice to remind me "I told you".

Yah, she did do a big burst of reverse. OOPS! Good catch. She probably got nervous after doing a steering adjustment. It does look like she was coming in a little too hot to begin with, but like you say it's necessary sometimes. I had to do that at one stop because a gust of wind would throw me off at the last minute and the boat had squirrelly twin rudders which required a lot of speed to track straight. I was going so fast everyone thought I was going to hit the dock, but I knew I could stop the boat in time and I did.

I suspect this lady was a bit too worried about coming in straight to the quay in the exact spot she wanted. I threw that conceit out the window the first time time I med moored in Greece. It was rainy and gusty and I figured hell if I can just get the boat close enough to toss the lines, we could scooch it over afterwards. It worked out fine; we only had to move it over about 10 ft. The guy on the dock complimented my skills which I dismissed until I saw the next two boats come in. Watching them made me feel a whole lot better about myself. Lol.

Anyway, critiquing aside, it could have been much worse for this lady. It doesn't look like anyone got hurt or the boat got too much damage. A little more practice and she'll have it down.
Old 07-08-2018, 16:37   #14

https://youtu.be/LRlnRVWsUYg

This is my favorite med mooring fail video. So many things gone wrong... from not having the crew positioned to fend off, not enough speed, the odd catch on the neighboring boat that seems to draw their stern to that boat instead to the dock. Very educational.
Old 07-08-2018, 17:53   #15
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

why do they insist on stern to dock in the med? what wrong with bow first?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring