Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 06:40   #1

Marine Propane Cooktop + Small Propane 16 oz Cylinders?

Hi All,

Our old alcohol stove on our Bayfield 25 went out last season and we are using the opportunity to upgrade to propane. After purchasing the cooktop (Eno two burner), we're realizing that there is very little space aboard our 25' boat to properly store the propane tank external to the boat - and too expensive and time consuming to glass in a locker internally. Additionally, all the required components (tank/solenoid/hose/etc) make this upgrade easily in the 1-2K price range....when we spent only 7k on the boat itself.

Our thought now, in order to find a balance between cost and safety is as follows:

- Install the Eno 2 burner marine grade stove.
- Install a mounting bracket for a 16 oz propane can internally in the boat in a VERY PROMINENT SPOT that will ensure that we will REMOVE the canister (and store external to the boat when not in immediate use) and RELIGIOUSLY unhook the canister if not in immediate use
- Install a propane alarm that is hard wired to the boat in the case of propane leaking while in use

This allows us to have a marine grade stove, keep our costs manageable and allow the option to continue upgrading in the future. We already carry the green propane cans (externally) for our BBQ, so have a system in place (PVC tube with vent) for external storage.

I can't find info on other folks doing this....which makes me think that perhaps we are missing something. Thoughts? Comments? Thanks in advance!!
MontanaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 13:18   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Marine Propane Cooktop + Small Propane 16 oz Cylinders?

Maybe the other folks who did this blew up?
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 20:05   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Just don’t do it, it’s not only going to invalidate your insurance but it is literally a bomb waiting to go off. It does not cost a grand or two to install a rail mount propane tank bracket and run a hose to the appliance. This is what I have. It is not necessary to add a locker belowdecks.
https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...cket-Assembly/
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 20:21   #4

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Maybe a single or double burner Origo? Very safe NOT pressurized alcohol stove, yes the they are not manufactured anymore, but a used one could be available if you scour the webs. Ours is 43 years old and works great. It was original equipment on our Bristol. Anyway, good hunting for your new bit of kit.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 20:29   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Those small canisters are prone to leakage, even more so if disengaged and them re-engaged.

I have a never used 3-pack of them ..... empty. I take it to my Safe Propane Installations show and tell.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:06   #6

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Look at it from the usage perspective. How much sophisticated cooking do you do on your boat while under way? Do you really need more than one burner? Really?
I struggled with the same question and decided the answer was going to be very little, apart from boiling water for tea and coffee, or warming up a can or soup or stew.
Gave up a full gas install, freed a lot of (very valuable in a 30 footer) space, and I don't have to worry about leaky connections or gas detectors.
Instead, I carry a portable camping cooker and a few canisters of butane.
The cooker comes out of its box only when I'm cooking and goes back in it and under the starboard bunk when I'm not. The gas canister goes back inside a large tupperware box in the cockpit locker. One gas canister lasts me for 3-4 days cooking breakfast and dinner every day.
Safety is addressed with a gimballed table in the galley (DIY job) that can be locked when not cooking and offers a useful flat and secure surface at any other time. The space that a swinging two-burner-with-oven-cooker would have occupied in the galley, is now taken by a very efficient thermoelectric cooler.
Inexpensive and widely available just about everywhere.
Think about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooker.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	214549  
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:00   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

I use 16 oz canisters on a propane torch. If they are frequently removed and replaced, the little valve on them will eventually leak. Sometimes a little so that you don't notice. Sometimes frighteningly rapidly, and after that happened to me once indoors I don't disconnect them unless I'm outside.

My first sailboat had a propane stove and a connection for propane cylinders just as you describe. I took it out and replaced it with an Origo.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, propane