Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2022, 15:12   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Main Cat Crew Rescued Off Oregon Inlet NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I think there is a problem when you load up any catamaran. Anchors, beer...whatever. The design was not optimized for carrying weight. Was this a contributing factor?

Size
To carry the payload we wanted a cat would need to be around 60ft to still sail or power as it was intended
Quote:
Flip. Well I’m not certain of the percent recovered but a flipped catamaran does present some unique salvage challenges. Any boat can sink but most take a little time to do so. I wrote a thread about devices to prevent flips but I didn’t see any results that looked foolproof.

On catamaran capsize / flip due to wave action you should read Loch Crowthers notes
Crowther design did tank testing and showed that cats are pretty much unaffected in waves that have monohulls rolling.

A snippet here, first couple of paragraphs

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 15:31   #32

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I was referring to flips from wind. The thread I posted was specifically not limited to catamarans but included monohulls
Thank you for your post. It was interesting and I’ll see if I can figure out how to make it easier to read. Old eyes. After, I’ll comment.
Sincere thanks. It’s this sort of discussion which can change your thinking.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 16:00   #33

Boat: EDELCAT33

Hard to tell why they abandoned as the boat is afloat and riding the waves somewhat uncomfortable but some people may manage it. At the end the boat beaches itself and looks in one piece.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:35   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Crew caught out (in this case happens to be a cat) on an inhospitable coastline - there’s no forgiveness in bad weather from Neah Bay thru to California for a sailboat. This is why I go 100+ nm offshore before turning south leaving BC….gives you lots of sea room, plus hopefully gets you out of the micro systems off the Columbia River.
There’s a reason the Coast Guard does their rough water training in this area.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:48   #35

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Crew caught out (in this case happens to be a cat) on an inhospitable coastline - there’s no forgiveness in bad weather from Neah Bay thru to California for a sailboat. This is why I go 100+ nm offshore before turning south leaving BC….gives you lots of sea room, plus hopefully gets you out of the micro systems off the Columbia River.
Ha, similar answer however wrong ocean.
This situation occurred off Hatteras in North Carolina.
Cheers
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:49   #36

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post

Oregon Inlet is on the East coast of the US, North Carolina.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:49   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I learned so much from reading this thread:
1. You need a 60 foot aluminum expedition cruising monohull to ever hope to survive at sea.
2. You can perfectly predict the weather a week in advance, and have never been caught out in a gale / near-storm
3. I will never have enough money, experience, or engineering know-how to go to sea.
Three pages of experts saying that they never would have been in that situation and those poor fools should have known better. The next time someone asks why sailing is becoming less popular, I will just link to this scary thread and tell people that unless you can survive arctic conditions or the roaring-40's, don't bother with this sport or aspire to cast off the lines. As for me, I'm doing what my ancestors did for generations, I'm going sailing with what I know, have, and can afford.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:59   #38

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Quote:
The anchor line failed. Catamarans just can’t carry enough chain. It’s really that simple.
Captain Mark
----------------------------

Ugh. Really? Do you really believe this? I hope that's not the case. I hope you're trying to troll us all and trying to turn this into a cat vs mono thread so that you can expound on the superiority of your boat.

My current catamaran has 120M of chain and a 55KG Rocna Vulan anchor. I've had a few cats and they all had chain, except for our MaineCat 33 (a modified MC30). It had about 20 ft of chain and the rest was line... why? because it's a small light boat and didn't have a windlass. Just like my Catalina 25 which had about 6 ft of chain and the rest was line. Except for the MaineCat I don't think I've ever been on a catamaran that wasn't all chain.

P.S. The MaineCat was an excellent boat and I still regret selling it. It is really designed to sail! It's was so zippy and fun. An almost perfect design.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 15:28   #39

I suppose , since the subject of cats flipping has been breached in this thread , that my story isn't a complete hijack .
I was transiting that really crappy area north of Colombia and east of Panama , known for sporty conditions . We were aboard a 90 ' by 48 " cat . The seas were 25 ish " close interval and from multi directions . The captain didn't know what to do in order to improve control . I suggested that we try and run..What I experienced for the next 18 hours ,was one hulls bow buried in the seaway and the opposite hulls stern out off the water exposing a very smallish rudder damn hard to steer. In hindsight I figure that of all things , the wave were to small...odd to say that . Anyway Cats aren't my personal cup of tea after that experience...
myketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 15:43   #40
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by myketch42 View Post
I suppose , since the subject of cats flipping has been breached in this thread , that my story isn't a complete hijack .
I was transiting that really crappy area north of Colombia and east of Panama , known for sporty conditions . We were aboard a 90 ' by 48 " cat . The seas were 25 ish " close interval and from multi directions . The captain didn't know what to do in order to improve control . I suggested that we try and run..What I experienced for the next 18 hours ,was one hulls bow buried in the seaway and the opposite hulls stern out off the water exposing a very smallish rudder damn hard to steer. In hindsight I figure that of all things , the wave were to small...odd to say that . Anyway Cats aren't my personal cup of tea after that experience...

90’ cat with a 48’ beam? Please send us a link on that beast!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 16:21   #41

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Please tell us more about these conditions.
I think 25 ft seas would not be so comfortable in a mono as well.
This thread was not be be a beat to death mono vs. cat scenario.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 17:29   #42

I haven't been in those conditions in a monohull , so I have no comparison , but when waves from different directions collide , the water shoots up similar to a shore ledge . All that hydraulic force under the bridge deck , not only flexed it visibly several inches , it made an incredibly loud and disconcerting noise , I think in the end , the boat handled it better than my nerves did.
myketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:42   #43

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Quote:
I haven't been in those conditions in a monohull , so I have no comparison , but when waves from different directions collide , the water shoots up similar to a shore ledge . All that hydraulic force under the bridge deck , not only flexed it visibly several inches , it made an incredibly loud and disconcerting noise , I think in the end , the boat handled it better than my nerves did.
Can you tell us about this boat? What was it? Name? I am super curioius! :-)
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:57   #44

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I learned so much from reading this thread:
1. You need a 60 foot aluminum expedition cruising monohull to ever hope to survive at sea.
2. You can perfectly predict the weather a week in advance, and have never been caught out in a gale / near-storm
3. I will never have enough money, experience, or engineering know-how to go to sea.
Three pages of experts saying that they never would have been in that situation and those poor fools should have known better. The next time someone asks why sailing is becoming less popular, I will just link to this scary thread and tell people that unless you can survive arctic conditions or the roaring-40's, don't bother with this sport or aspire to cast off the lines. As for me, I'm doing what my ancestors did for generations, I'm going sailing with what I know, have, and can afford.

Haha and that is why we have drama, theater, and hyperbola. Anybody can have a bad day, like that couple who were experienced sailors and both died as they got hit by the boom of a large mono … so getting up from bed is even dangerous [emoji23]
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:27   #45

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Catamarans are just not my cup of tea.

J Boats. I liked the 24. At that time TPI was building the Annapolis Navy boats.
Beautiful, strong beyond belief, well engineered. The sea trial was a gale and they did everything perfectly. It’s like a Rolls Royce at sea.
I would not advise anyone to buy any other J boat but a 24. Just my opinion.
I feel sorry for people who buy them. TPI didn’t design nor spec them. Some people think they are great. Fine. Happy trails. Don’t ask me to go sailing on one.
Thread drift warning, but do you like or not like the J24? My memories are of J24's sinking inside San Francisco Bay because they didn't put the wash boards in while sailing in 25k. Also started a 500 mile MORA race with 2 J24's, and both had their outboard rudders fall off within 100 miles.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, oregon, rescue