Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2022, 07:13   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Longer term Florida Anchorage Suggestions Near Grocery Stores?

My life has changed. The world has changed.

I need to spend the winter in Florida. But I still have some work left to do on the boat. Not crazy amounts, but enough. Marinas seem to have become untenable at this point.

I could never actually afford to put my boat into a marina. I knew that building it. I just got lucky that I found some cheap ones over the last several years. This has changed. Either the marina prices have skyrocketed, or the policies have become onerous.

For that reason, I have to go back to anchor.

Now, obviously I won’t be able to have a car with me. So, I’m hoping to find somewhere that isn’t too strict on the longer-term anchoring, maybe a month or two, but it’s also close enough to grocery stores that I can get fresh produce. That’s where my life has changed.

Due to the health problems, I have to eat the Mediterranean diet. And that involves fresh produce. That doesn’t involve the way I used to eat trying to go to the grocery store once a year or something. Ha ha. I cannot have that type of diet. It must be loaded with fruits and vegetables. Absolutely loaded with them. And because I can’t eat meat really much anymore, it means that the fruits and vegetables are the highlight of what I’m eating. If I don’t have good fruits and vegetables, I might as well not eat.. Lol there would be nothing interesting left to eat at all.

So I’m trying to reason out some places that might be close to grocery stores. Maybe a boat ramp would be nice. Or some kind of landing for the dinghy. Especially if there’s an overnight option to store the dinghy. I often have to leave the dinghy overnight. Yes, I do need a social life as well.

A huge bonus would be next to a Whole Foods so I can receive Amazon packages of Boat products that I need to install. Or at least next to an Amazon locker. A marine supply store would also be an option.

I can think of several places up north that work for this. But I can’t think of one in Florida off the top of my head right now. Because everything changes so quickly in Florida. I’m almost thinking I could do Fort Myers. Because everything is destroyed. There might not be so much concern about a boat anchored out and going about its business doing a refit. Or actually in my case a pre-fit. Ha ha

But does anyone else have some decent ideas? I will not stay there for more than two months. I just need to get the boat together so it can start moving from place to place. I also need to step the mast. Heck, even if somebody knows of a dock that’s available pretty cheap and has parking, that would work also. But I don’t think there is such a thing. So, I am looking for the anchorages.

So I’m wondering, from the collective wisdom here, can anyone send me a private message that might suggest an area they think is good?

Thank you very much! Thanks in advance. I know people will say, look it up! I have. But I haven’t settled on anything that looks great. Asking the collective is always better because there is a wealth of information just sitting in someone’s memory somewhere. For instance, I could tell you about a lot of great anchorages, they just aren’t fitting exactly what I need. And I have a 75 foot air draft. So that’s an issue.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Re: Longer term Florida Anchorage Suggestions Near Grocery Stores?

I can only recommend Dinner Key in Biscayne Bay, Florida. There is a Fresh Market within walking distance, albeit a bit pricey. Good luck. Stay well.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:52   #3

Boat: Boatless

Anchor outside the Dinner Key mooring field in Coconut Grove, Miami. Fresh Market within a walk of the dinghy dock.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:09   #4

Would a mooring field fit your price budget? Titusville and Vero Beach are nice with grocery stores nearby.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Anchor outside the Dinner Key mooring field in Coconut Grove, Miami. Fresh Market within a walk of the dinghy dock.
I’ll take a close look. Thank you. I hadn’t thought to look at that one.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Would a mooring field fit your price budget? Titusville and Vero Beach are nice with grocery stores nearby.
Yes. Often mooring fields do fit the budget. With Titusville, I remember getting a hold of them a couple years back and they were just so full that they wouldn’t even talk to me. Their response was once you show up we will take a look.

Although I have stayed there before. I think for a month once. I had to change out a refrigerator. I got it delivered to the marina and replaced the old one with the new one. I did enjoy the place. There’s also an independent car rental place nearby there that was very helpful and reasonably priced.

Might as well check that place again. They even had parking that came along with it from what I remember.

Great. All my cheering for Titusville probably just filled it all the way back up. Ha ha ha
Old 06-10-2022, 09:16   #7

Oh wow. Phil and Michael said the exact same thing. Definitely warrants a close look.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:20   #8

Awwww. Man! 40ft max LOA at the dinner key mooring field.

And my 25’ beam and high windage boat doesn’t help my argument much either.

Possibly I can anchor over there however. Maybe there is a dinghy dock fee or something?
Old 06-10-2022, 09:41   #9

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I assume you must have considered Marathon? Maybe your boat is too big. There is a good grocery store. I don't know if there is still room to anchor.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
I assume you must have considered Marathon? Maybe your boat is too big. There is a good grocery store. I don't know if there is still room to anchor.
Yeah. That’s kind of like me. I don’t know what’s what anymore. I’ve been off the water too long. Building the boat.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:04   #11

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

There are a few boats anchored near 518 in Indian Harbor Beach. It's pretty well sheltered and there is a Publix very close. There is also a high end store with fruits, cheeses, wine, etc. called the Green Turtle that is a long walk or short bike ride.

A second choice might be near Manatee Pocket in Stuart FL. Lots of stores, sheltered and good boat supply resources. A variety of stores nearby. Mostly longer walks, short bike rides.
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:07   #12

Another idea is between the spoil islands an US1 near Sebastian/Grant. If you can find a place near the Home Depot/Winn Dixie, that could work.
Another is inside Hobe Sound near Federal Highway (just a bit north of Jupiter). There are some very protected, longer term anchorages that are near stores.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:10   #13

Oh yeah - one more. Near 520 Causeway in Cocoa (again on the Indian River) some long term anchorers and lots of stores. Even a West Marine.
BTW - the 518 anchorage above is right at the southern end of Merritt Island and there is a similar one at the next causeway - 192.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yes. Often mooring fields do fit the budget. With Titusville, I remember getting a hold of them a couple years back and they were just so full that they wouldn’t even talk to me. Their response was once you show up we will take a look.

Although I have stayed there before. I think for a month once. I had to change out a refrigerator. I got it delivered to the marina and replaced the old one with the new one. I did enjoy the place. There’s also an independent car rental place nearby there that was very helpful and reasonably priced.

Might as well check that place again. They even had parking that came along with it from what I remember.

Great. All my cheering for Titusville probably just filled it all the way back up. Ha ha ha
As far as I've seen most mooring fields are first come first serve. We didn't have any problems finding a mooring in Titusville - and we stayed there for 7 months and there were always at least a few available.

That said, they lost 10 boats during hurricane Ian - most of which had moorings break!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:55   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalystcat View Post
A second choice might be near Manatee Pocket in Stuart FL. Lots of stores, sheltered and good boat supply resources. A variety of stores nearby. Mostly longer walks, short bike rides.
This made me think that your time is running short to do this move. Manatee Pocket in Stuart is nice and protected from all directions, but consequently is perpetually overcrowded. All of those places south of the Cape are going to start filling up with pre-positioning snow birds that are doing the Bahamas crossing in a month or two. Better get a move on and find a spot.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, florida