Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2012, 05:40   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Knife

gil also makes a sailing knife with a shackle key and marling spike. davis also makes this at a lower price. gil is 59 dollars, davis is 30 dollars. good and sharp and handy. i keep mine on a laniard.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 16:21   #17

Also carry the Davis...everywhere. Older one...great knife. Current ones made in China...not sure if mine was or not...but has the shackle key and marlin spike. Serrated blade stays sharp...as Zee indicates, good knife, good price.
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 16:26   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Anyone else use a real marlinespike? As in a marlin's bill with a ropework handle? They are better than anything else, ill link to my source if anyone's interested. Once you use one you'll never go back, its natures answer to untying a knot.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 18:06   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just so you have an idea, I'll post a pic or two. There is much debate as to the true progeny of the word "Marlinespike", and even as a result it's proper spelling. There is the technique of "marling" (a form of serving) which is done with a spike and therefore some believe this is the root. Almost certainly not the case. Then there is "marline", which is tarred line, so named because if you tie it in a knot it "mars" or jams and will not come untied. Often used for nets, serving and seizing, etc. Many believe this is the source of the term. I believe that the proper lineage descends from the common use of a Marlin's bill as a spike for ropework going back many hundreds of years. It's shape makes it the ultimate spike for this purpose, as it is oval in cross section so you can insert and twist. There is also often a slight bend in the end. The finish is super hard and slick, almost like the outside skin of a fresh piece of green bamboo. It slides under wet rope like nothing else. I find mine to give me joy every time I put it in my hand. The guy who ties them and sells to me is an amazing artist, also does traditional Polynesian war clubs from Billfish bills and all sorts of other cool stuff. An amazing person to learn fancy ropework from. He teaches as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img001.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	41578   Click image for larger version

Name:	img011.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	41579  

Old 28-05-2012, 18:37   #20

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive carried a Myerchin Offshore knife and Marlin Spike for Many many years, also keep other Myerchin Spikes at serveral spots around the boat. I like to do the fancy rope work like Minaret. And ya have to have the tools at hand to do the work ! Work knots and Fancy knots all came from the same places most fancy work was used on wooden ships for many common everyday things! not just fancy!! Connie and I have been known to still strip horizontals out of canvas and make all sorts of nice shippy things with just square knots !! LOL Ya know what Im talking about Minaret ??
Old 28-05-2012, 18:45   #21
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ive carried a Myerchin Offshore knife and Marlin Spike for Many many years, also keep other Myerchin Spikes at serveral spots around the boat. I like to do the fancy rope work like Minaret. And ya have to have the tools at hand to do the work ! Work knots and Fancy knots all came from the same places most fancy work was used on wooden ships for many common everyday things! not just fancy!! Connie and I have been known to still strip horizontals out of canvas and make all sorts of nice shippy things with just square knots !! LOL Ya know what Im talking about Minaret ??

Yea, sinnet. Can you tie a Matthew Walker, Bob? I bet you can, you seem pretty salty...
I've only had my present boat for a year and a half, so haven't gotten too far into it on this one yet. But I sure will when I'm done with more practical matters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img009.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	41580  
Old 28-05-2012, 19:17   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
+1111 a great tool.
Old 29-05-2012, 08:28   #23

Need iPhone to not auto correct marlinspike into two words! I also have my CG knife...Davis is better than the issue Camillus, IMO.
Bob on OTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 08:46   #24

Boat: Celestial 48

I have a Myerchin knife which I like very much. Simple folder with spike. Both the spike and blade lock in position, which oddly enough is not the case with most folding knifes.
My only complaint is that it is a bit heavy. Also, it is a bit expensive. As I carry it around on my person all the time, I think the cost is not big concern (get what you pay for).

model B300P
Black Folder Series
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 09:09   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

ceramic knives are probably the sharpest available but can shatter if abused or dropped. Serrated knives cut line quicker than smooth blades and are absolutely mandatory to cut the new synthetics.

I've got a Myerchin and a Leatherman Skeleton tool that I carry. Might consider carrying a Leatherman tool rather than a knife. Don't have a marlin spike but the pliers and bottle opener come in real handy a lot more than the spike.

Great Britain has turned into a nation afraid of its own shadow. If they arrested everyone over here who carried a knife openly, they'd have most of the trades people in jail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 09:27   #26

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Great Britain has turned into a nation afraid of its own shadow. If they arrested everyone over here who carried a knife openly, they'd have most of the trades people in jail.
I remember a quote from a gun debate a few years ago, that "if they outlaw guns, next they will have to outlaw knives".

And the gun control folks laughed and said that was an absurd statement that could never happen, and had no measure of reality. And the anti gun control crowd was putting forth a specious, and silly counter argument.

Not long after that I was in a line at the airport, and the TSA agent seized my toenail clippers as a dangerous weapon.

One of the emperers in the Ming dynasty was so afraid of an insurection, he outlawed all metal implements, forcing the peasants to use bamboo splints to eat with, (origin of the chopstick).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 11:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post
Any opinions on ceramic blade knives?
brittle blades

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 11:36   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post
Any opinions on ceramic blade knives?
Great for cutting high tech stuff like Dynex Dux, but too brittle for an all around knife.
Old 29-05-2012, 13:54   #29

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
brittle blades
You would think so. I tried flexing mine as far as I dared, it isn't as brittle as I thought. BUt that is the old tradeoff, soft steel is more flexible, but won't hold an edge. Hard high carbon steel holds a good edge, but is brittle. Ceramic blades are harder than steel blades.....so.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 16:00   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
You would think so. I tried flexing mine as far as I dared, it isn't as brittle as I thought. BUt that is the old tradeoff, soft steel is more flexible, but won't hold an edge. Hard high carbon steel holds a good edge, but is brittle. Ceramic blades are harder than steel blades.....so.
I think brittle is maybe the wrong term. The blades will "chip" from abuse or cutting high tech line. I've used mine exclusively for cutting Dynex Dux line that I used to make new lifelines. After just four lines and splices I could see little clips in the blade. And of course you can't sharpen them yourself.