Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 11:53   #106

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Keel Failure in the Canaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Ha ha surely your kidding me Polux..they are using the finest stainless steel because it's the best material....from the same gang that uses brass in their thru hulls rather than bronze? Using fender washers under cleats rather than backing plates...my man please these builders don't spend a dime they don't have to and you can be very sure they are not using the best material for any of their construction. Truth is I don't have a problem with it either, any real well informed buyer will know they are buying low price not high quality and nothing wrong with that.
Don't makes sense. If they were using the cheapest material they would be using galvanized steel not inox steel.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 14:18   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Don't makes sense. If they were using the cheapest material they would be using galvanized steel not inox steel.
I'm not talking about X Yachts or their equal I'm talking about entry level mass produced boats. I'm sure X Yachts do in fact use much better material and building techniques.

When I was in Panama we were in Shelter Island marina for a short period and during that time they hauled a Beneteau 393 that was taking on water like crazy. They dropped the keel, which was loose, all the bolt holes were leaking. I was shocked to see a small bead of sealant around the outside of the keel. This was a one owner boat and the keel was as is from the factory. The yard did a proper job of sealing the joint with copious amounts of sealant and torquing the keel bolts. As I recall they were stainless steel. Not very impressive.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 14:20   #108

Polux..I'd feel better with keel bolts that were made of galvanized steel than stainless. Way to much chance of crevice corrosion with stainless.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, Canaries, keel