Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 07:24   #1

Boat: Tartan TOCK
Jerry Cans

Tried to look for other threads on this but the search feature definitely has room for improvement...What brand/style of Jerry cans are people using while out cruising? I've had plenty of 5 gallon fuel cans over the years and I don't know that I'd trust any of them to keep water out and keep fuel in with all the expanding and contracting that must go on with them sitting in the sun.
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 07:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Jerry Cans

I use the cheap I think Spectre cans bought at the local home improvement store.
So far no problems, but one day I will have sunbrella covers fashioned for them

Shop 5-Gallon Plastic Diesel Fuel Can at Lowes.com

Oh and on search, try the Google custom search, work mo better
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:45   #3

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

If you haven't, try using the "Google custom search" that is in the same drop down box but just below the first search box. It is supposed to be much, much better in getting good hits on the forum. It searches the forum not the WWW.

One issue on jerry cans is whether you go with the tall ones or the squat ones. One may work for you better than the other. Don't have any info or knowledge of best brands.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:53   #4

Boat: Celestial 48

Scepter 03711 yellow manual vent military style plastic jerry cans are what we use for diesel, plus same style in red for our outboard gas. Avoid the CARB California style like the plague (i.e., do not buy your cans in California as that is the only type they sell there). Scepter are not the cheapest. We have canvas covers for the few that we keep on deck as the UV will kill them. Handy to have some extra caps just in case.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 09:01   #5

Thanks for the replies and for the tips about using the google search. Much better hits.
Old 17-11-2015, 10:03   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-134967.html

Check out this thread. I asked the same question a while ago. The vp racing cans are awesome. I now have 3 of them thanks to suggestions from other members and I LOVE them. So easy to use and NO SPILL. Easiest place I have found to buy them is Cabela's
Old 17-11-2015, 10:04   #7

They also are FDA rated for food and water so you can buy different color one's if needed. I think they come in green, white, red, and maybe camo
Old 17-11-2015, 10:22   #8

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I second the Sceptre brand for several reasons:

-Locking cap that won't work loose [a 2" rubber plumbing coupling- they type that come with hose clamps- fits tightly over the fuel cap- and a 1.5" rubber cap fits snugly inside the top of the coupling- to protect the tank cap in harsh environments. We do this on tanks that hang off the back end of our 4 wheelers...]
-One of the few with a spout that fits inside the can when not needed (no California appendage to break-off...)
-Cube shaped, so low, stable profile
-Find the newest models- they empty twice as fast as previous models if using the spout
-Plastic seems thicker that many competing cans- but this is subjective

We've used them for years on the boat and on land from 95F to -50F. They have held up as very exposed spare fuel cans on our ATV's for hundreds of miles on back-country trails.

There have been several variations of the spout over the years. Currently the green and yellow versions seem to hold up best, but I carry a couple of spare spouts anyway... [Their spouts are EPA compliant so fuel flow is controlled by pushing down on spout when in tank filler neck. If the control mechanism breaks, fuel may not flow through spout... On the boat we typically use a jiggler type of syphon hose so the spout is moot.]

These cans really swell up in heat, and shrink-in quite a bit if not full in the cold [e.g., once below freezing, so this hopefully won't apply to most...]

Cheers!

Bill
Old 17-11-2015, 10:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
If you haven't, try using the "Google custom search" that is in the same drop down box but just below the first search box. It is supposed to be much, much better in getting good hits on the forum ....
Indeed.
FWIW 632 Results for jerry cans ➥ https://cse.google.com/cse?siteurl=w...ans&gsc.page=1

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 11:29   #10

Thanks On The Rocks...I just ordered 4 of the VP racing cans from Cabela's. I need them for around the house for now, but eventually they'll make it onto a boat for cruising!
Old 17-11-2015, 12:07   #11

You'll love them. The only thing is don't take the vent cap all the way off when filling, just leave it very loose, maybe 1/2 to one full turn from falling off. You'll hear it making a slurping noise and you'll want to remove it but when the tank is too full, gas will come out and it doesnt make a difference to how fast the gas comes out.