Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 14:00   #1

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch
Cuba/Mexico passage

We are purchasing a condo with slip in Puerto Aventuras (Yucatan) Mexico as our long term base. We'll also be moving our yacht there. I'm wondering what crossing the straits to Cuba will be like. Has anyone recently made this passage?
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:21   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Cuba/Mexico passage

Like what do you mean? Moonlit night no wind, motor the whole way. No moon very dark night Coast guard sneaking around without any lights or AIS?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:28   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Its not far, but the Yucatan Channel can get ugly if wind sets up against the Yucatan Current (precursor of the Gulf Stream). Sorta like FL to Bahamas, not far, but could be the longest trip of your life.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:57   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Its not far, but the Yucatan Channel can get ugly if wind sets up against the Yucatan Current (precursor of the Gulf Stream). Sorta like FL to Bahamas, not far, but could be the longest trip of your life.
Man o man, dat is true. I have been trying to talk my wife into crossing it a third time. The first 2 sucked pretty bad. I'm telling her we won't make another mistake...
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 22:31   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I will be looking for dock space in Puerto Aventuras for this coming winter and spring. Please contact me if you want to rent out your slip for the interim or if you know of any spaces for rent during that timeframe . It would need to be a side tie (I have a wide boat).

I too would like to hear some relevant information on passages to Cuba from that area such as: most convenient port of entry, weather pattern to look for when choosing a window, route choices, plus any stories anyone would care to share.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, Mexico, passage