Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2009, 20:53   #1

Is the Summer Heat in South Florida Worse than Grand Cayman in the Summer?

Hello

I was just reading another post about moving to South Florida and one occuring theme was the heat during the summer months.
I have been to Grand Cayman many times during July & August and did not mind the heat or the humidity.
So I am wondering if Southern Florida would be any different than Grand Cayman in the summer??

thank you

spencerj1961
spencerj1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 22:20   #2

Miami, FL climate is hot during summer when temperatures tend to be in the 80's and mild during winter when temperatures tend to be in the 60's.
The warmest month of the year is August with an average maximum temperature of 87.20 degrees Fahrenheit, while the coldest month of the year is January with an average minimum temperature of 62.60 degrees Fahrenheit.
Temperature variations between night and day tend to be small during summer with a difference that can reach 9 degrees Fahrenheit, and fairly limited during winter with an average difference of 11 degrees Fahrenheit.
The annual average precipitation at Miami is 46.60 Inches. Summer months tend to be wetter than winter months. The wettest month of the year is June with an average rainfall of 6.90 Inches.

The temperature in Grand Cayman varies little throughout the year, averaging 75 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter and 85 degrees in the summer, and generally stays within the range of 70-90 degrees. Most visitors remember to wear sunscreen when the sun is out or if they’re spending time on the beach, but the time most people get burned is when there a little cloud cover, or when they’re out and about shopping or sightseeing. To avoid painful sunburn, always wear a high factor sunblock and keep reapplying throughout the day. Wear a hat and make sure your kids wear one too! Heatstroke is no fun, so avoid going out at the hottest part of the day if you can, and always remember to drink plenty of water (not soft drinks) all day long to keep hydrated.
Quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 03:17   #3

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Spencer, I think the primary difference is the greater presence of steady winds on the Caymans during the summer months. Temps and humidity seemed to me to be equivalent. Another major factor in dealing with the summer heat in S Florida is the prevalence - everywhere - of air conditioning (which is also true of GC, at least at all the stores, eateries etc. that I visited). I doubt most S Florida residents would continue to cope with the weather there without AC.

But from a 'quality of life' perspective, S Florida's least attractive feature for me is the population density, which has all kinds of ripple effects.

Jack
Old 17-12-2009, 04:21   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I lived in Grand Cayman for about a year and S>Fl most of my life, and South Fl is hotter - the winds on the island help keep it cooler
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cayman Islands, florida