Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2018, 07:01   #1

Boat: Block Island 40
I need to clean my sails

This topic has probably been covered in the past but I can't locate it. Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime, I was wondering if any of the typical household cleaners might do or are they too harsh. I was thinking of using dish liquid - they say their product is "gentle on your hands". Gentle on sails also??
paulie4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 07:25   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: I need to clean my sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie4203 View Post
This topic has probably been covered in the past but I can't locate it. Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime, I was wondering if any of the typical household cleaners might do or are they too harsh. I was thinking of using dish liquid - they say their product is "gentle on your hands". Gentle on sails also??
What are you trying to remove? Stain removal depends on the chemistry. What removes mildew won't touch rust and vice versa.

What sail material? I could assume polyester, but you did not say.

Dish washing liquid is probably a waste of time.

As a starting point, consider that polyester sails are made of the same stuff as clothing. You don't want to flex them too much (resin) and you don't use bleach.
Old 21-04-2018, 07:35   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

How would you remove mildew? Would it be acceptable to use mildew remover with chlorine for lets say 20min and then wash/soak the sail over a several hours in a pool full of unchlorinated freshwater?
Better options?
Old 21-04-2018, 07:49   #4

Boat: Block Island 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What are you trying to remove? Stain removal depends on the chemistry. What removes mildew won't touch rust and vice versa.

What sail material? I could assume polyester, but you did not say.

Dish washing liquid is probably a waste of time.

As a starting point, consider that polyester sails are made of the same stuff as clothing. You don't want to flex them too much (resin) and you don't use bleach.
I have dirt from mud-wasps and black spots from spider droppings. The sail is dacron. Thanks
paulie4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 08:10   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Fransisca: Never bleach. Oxiclean is what the pros use, often re-packaged as sail cleaners. Follow the instructions; the soak time is very long. Pre-cleaning the loose stuff helps.

Paulie: Pre-scrub with laundry detergent. If that is not enough, Oxiclean.

---

Do NOT exceed the recommended concentrations, but do soak as long as needed. The sun will finish the job over a few weeks of sailing (the Oxiclean "weakens" the remaining stain, in a sense).

Don't try for perfect if that means abusing the sail. It's not worth it.

Oxiclean (percarbonate) is safe for all sail materials, including laminates. I tore samples apart in testing for an article--that's what I do.

You can also by one of many non-bleach sail cleaners. Wash Safe, Iosso, and CS-530 are very good.
Old 21-04-2018, 08:31   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

FWIW, we washed a sail in our home's spa after starting with a fresh fill.
We used sail wash and soaked it for a few hours, then dumped the spa and hosed it off on the yard to rinse.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 08:47   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

To remove general soil (and hide mold and mildew).

For white polyester (Dacron) if you own a pool (or have a very good friend that does), when the chlorine levels are normal (won't rot a spandex bathing suit), immerse and tie off the sails in the pool near the water jet, so they are gently agitated.

Let em soak a couple hours, take them out, hang them in the shade, rinse all surfaces with fresh water (garden hose sprayer) and let them dry in a gentle warm breeze.

If there are any rust stains remove with oxalic acid (brand Iron Out available at most hardware stores for removing rust stains from general laundry).

For Nylon and bright colours, you have to be more cautious about chlorine levels.

Many pro sail cleaners have used highly diluted sodium hypochlorite (primary ingredient in regular laundry bleach) for years.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 08:50   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

Following
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 09:09   #9

I used detergent and spot cleaned with one of those window alcohol base cleaner agents like Windex or Spray and Wipe. Use a soft brush, even a soft broom to scrub and rinse of well. I just laid them out on the lawn, where the water is useful after.

The one thing that became an issue was having somewhere to dry them not in direct sun, and watered for a final rinse. Fortunately it was late in the day when the sun was low, but I didnt plan it that way. I strung the sails out between some trees.

My sails are 40 years old but were well made and relatively heavy. Despite a few ocean crossings they have been well looked after. The sailmaker commented that the mizzen 'looked' like it might be 5 yrs old, but to our surprise it had a Pearson part tag on it when inspected. The main was retabled at that time, it carries the Pearson logo and the hull number.

We put the sails up the first calm day after they got back from the sailmakers and they looked bright white and clean, its worth doing.
Old 21-04-2018, 10:12   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I wash dacron sails in the bath with a little detergent and some shampoo. Leave the sail to soak for an hour or so and it comes out pearly white.
Old 21-04-2018, 11:14   #11

Diluted oxyclean and soft scrub brush . Brush on and rinse with fresh water. Repeat if needed after sail dries and you see the net result ( wet sail can be misleading). Worked well for us
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 12:13   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Excellent thread
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 12:35   #13

Following
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 19:12   #14

I sent mine to Sail Care in Pennsylvania, they came looking and feeling brand new, for a resultable price.
Bill Conlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 19:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
How would you remove mildew? Would it be acceptable to use mildew remover with chlorine for lets say 20min and then wash/soak the sail over a several hours in a pool full of unchlorinated freshwater?
Better options?

There are many products that will kill mildew. Chlorine is the most obviously effective but it's can wreck fabric.
Tea tree oil vinegar are two more natural products that don't damage cloth and sails.
Clean them first with detergent. You will get different results with different forms of detergents some are alkaline others acid. Most petroleum based are acids citrus based are alkaline and biodegradable. Then attack the Mildred and rust spots different chemicals for each problem. Re-wash after using aggressive chemicals. A soft broom on a lawn.
Secret is rinsing them after washing and drying them before packing them.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails