Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 19:06   #16

Re: I have one year to learn much as I can...advice?

thanks all for the great variety of suggestions!

i will spend more time and thought on the class options. looks like if I am aiming to be prepared to bareboat charter carib. catamarans classes will run north of $2000. that sound in-line with the norm?

also, in your opinion, how useful would learning on a dinghy be (much cheaper) and then using a 20-40' boat, or should i just start learning on a larger vessel more similar to what i hope to be able to sail one day?

again, many thanks
nbourbaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:17   #17

mistakes are amplified on a dinghy. which is good. tack too hard, dont loose your sail quick enough.. any number of things can knock you right over. you get wet. you stand your dinghy back up and you go off hopefully not making that mistake again. could be a spendy mistake if you make it the first time on a 40' cruiser.

that being said from what Ive gathered talking to peoples really spending time on something in the 20-22 range you will learn nearly as much and quickly as a dinghy. and there is a lot of difference in docking and the momentum of a larger ship.

this all said from research very little experince so take it with a grain.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:31   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
Greetings all, avid reader here but first time posting.

I normally live a landlocked life in a flyover state, but for the next 14 months I will be living in the SF bay area, and want to learn as much sailing as I can while here. Alas I do have a family and (albeit very flexible) job so I cannot crew a fiji bound yacht.

I plan to take very basic sailing lessons at Cal Sailing Club (mostly dinghies), mostly to refresh my childhood sailing skills, but I would like to get on larger cruising capable vessels soon. I know I can shell out for sailing schools, but any other thoughts on best way to gain experience.

My eventual goal is to be able to charter vessels in the carib or south pacific on family vacations, maybe one day (but not too soon) take a long sailing sabbatical. I am (not yet) interested in leaving the land life for good.

any thoughts or suggestions most appreciated, right down to a good pair of shoes advice.

cheers,

nbourbaki

Join a working sailing club and hang around all you can. Always be there to help with anything, whether it's cleaning out a bilge or learning to climb a mast. Always be seeking a chance to sail. Do some racing, but don't do only racing, because people who only race may not learn much about navigation. Get a wide variety of sailing skills on as many different kinds of boats as possible. Make sure you sail on both monohulls and catamarans. Bring beer and become famous for the yummy (easy to eat) snacks you bring along.

As long as the boat doesn't sink and no one is seriously hurt, let it all be fun.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 22:22   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Thackaringa

Try the local library, there is always a good supply of books on sailing, seamanship, boat maintenance or knots. Anything relating to boats will be a step in the right direction. You can absorb the knowledge at your own speed in your own time and it is free. If you are going to start hanging out at yacht clubs and marina trying to get onto a boat for a days sailing there is more chance that you will be invited back to do it again if you can make yourself useful from day one and not just get in the way or break things. Learn the ropes, learn what everything is called, it is easier to follow instructions if you know what the skipper is talking about. Learning to tie a bowline is a good start.
Thackaringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Read this thread........

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1298783

........and then try not to replicate, both before leaving port, whilst at sea - and afterwards.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30   #21

I have a sailing school in the Caribbean, if you are serious about getting professional sail-training for a career in the marine industry pm me, I run courses right upto Master of Yachts 200t and Instructor, if you are any good you will almost definitely get work in the Caribbean with the right attitude and professional qualifications, good luck.
budgie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25   #22

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:

i will spend more time and thought on the class options. looks like if I am aiming to be prepared to bareboat charter carib. catamarans classes will run north of $2000. that sound in-line with the norm?
Obviously regional differences apply but that sounds expensive compared to the ASA club/school in So. California that I am a member of:

ASA 101/103 plus 104/114 combo - $1200
ASA 101/103, 104, 114 - $1300
ASA 101/103, 104/114, 105, 106 -$1900
ASA 101/103, 104, 105, 106, 114 - $2000

(The ASA 114 is the Catamaran Bareboat certification)

These prices include mandatory $100 membership fee to join the club.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:

also, in your opinion, how useful would learning on a dinghy be (much cheaper) and then using a 20-40' boat, or should i just start learning on a larger vessel more similar to what i hope to be able to sail one day?

again, many thanks
If you still have knees a dinghy will be fine. If your knees can't take it try a keelboat course.