Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2016, 22:13   #16

Boat: Newport 28
Re: How Sailboats Get Used, Or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
Without putting too fine a point on an excellent summation, one category seems missing. Persons with shoreside responsibilities i.e. work, family interminably long winter. Use boat virtually every weekend and occasional evenings during soft water months. Often cruise to nearby ports or cruises to nowhere with very little dock time. Roughly a 40% use 60% dock during the season.
Chalk me up to this category as well.
Old 25-12-2016, 22:56   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I don't race much, the boat remains at one marina but I use it virtually every weekend and some weekdays so where does that put me ?
Old 26-12-2016, 06:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I don't race much, the boat remains at one marina but I use it virtually every weekend and some weekdays so where does that put me ?
Active cruiser.
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 06:30   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Apart from Hobies, Lasers and Opties, there are no two boats alike here.

If anyone wants to race a keelboat, it has to be mixed fleet, handicap based racing.
Yeah, that was my point. It's not an exact science.

A boat that's raced a lot will be harder to sail to it's rating than one which isn't.

Then you have the spinnaker boats and non-spin on the same course, etc

But there are exceptions. There are one design fleets of Lightnings, Flying Scots, even J30's as well as other J Boats (keel boats) that race. I'm sure there are others also.

There's also the A-Class. This is the toughest beach cat division. It has a mainsail only. The boat's minimum race weight can be as low as 165lbs. It's 18' long. It has daggerboards, and lots of carbon fiber and Kevlar depending on the boat.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 07:28   #20

The "categories" need to be expanded and clarified, beyond the initial post, because I felt this way after this exchange:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
Active cruiser.

That is not what I'd define as an "active cruiser." I would go out for one or two nights almost every week and anchor out, rarely marina hopped.

I call that local cruising, not active cruising.

Active cruising would be a week or more in The California Delta, or more like our trip up the coast from SF to Vancouver Island.

But compared to many folks here who are "out there" and "doing it" the very word "cruiser" I find maybe that "cruise" shouldn't be applied to potential "weekend warriors" or even those of us who no longer have to remember what day of the week it is.

And having to, as the quotes above note, explain what a term means that applies to a vast majority of boaters seems odd to me. Shouldn't whatever terms are used be so obvious as to not require explanation?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 08:27   #21

Certainly the categories can be defined in any number of ways, no "right answer."

And data for 55% of the chart was offered in post #1. So it's not entirely "subjective."

If you have a better chart with better data, I'd like to see it. Otherwise it's one WAG vs another, again no "right answer" as some replies seem to suggest.
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 10:35   #22

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
And then there are those who spend most of their time on sailing forums.
I hope that mic was wearing a PFD when it was dropped.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:33   #23

This applies to mostly smaller wooden power and sailboats, but another category is the antique boats that are rarely used but are shown primarily as show pieces for craftsmanship at boat shows and at seaports like Mystic in Connecticut. Obviously a very small percentage, yet a significant one in terms of interest and inspiration.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 12:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Chalk me up to this category as well.
Good to hear Charlz. Be up that way this summer at some point. I want to buy some folks a beer and explore some of the islands. Ya hear that Mike O'Reilly?

After reading the initial report it was quite clear the study was prepared for the allocation of resources based on use of various watercraft including power boats and human powered vessels. Among these would be dredging harbors, maintaining breakwalls and visual aids to navigation, charts beyond commercial interests and the myriad other services needed by the boating public at large. The average long range cruiser would contribute very little financially to the overall use of these services to the point of having them terminated. Even the dock queens pay their fees and support marinas financially that we all rely on. Individuals intent on stroking their egos by insisting short range cruisers are not real cruisers, would do well to remember without those who support the local harbors and facilities, they will be invited to fund the whole infrastructure or spend all their time on the hook.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 13:16   #25

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

"Without putting too fine a point on an excellent summation, one category seems missing. Persons with shoreside responsibilities i.e. work, family interminably long winter. Use boat virtually every weekend and occasional evenings during soft water months. Often cruise to nearby ports or cruises to nowhere with very little dock time. Roughly a 40% use 60% dock during the season."

Yes, well said, but my situation does not even allow that much use. I have a more than full-time job, a son in college, a mother in early stage dementia living with me, and an hour commute to get to the boat. I sail my boat absolutely as much as will not endanger my marriage. This stuff about "neglected boats" touches a nerve with me, I'm afraid. I do not own my boat to stoke my ego or to impress my friends (none of whom are sailors or care about sailing or my boat); I own it because from a boy of seven, I have been sailing, first with my father, and now with my sons when I can, and I love it. I wish I could spend more time on the water, but without abandoning responsibilities which are important, I cannot. I hear this stuff about "checkbook sailors" and "occasional sailors" from some people, and it just rolls off my back. I truly do not care what the "real sailors" think of the fact that I only got out sailing six or seven times this year. This kind of talk is what chases people away from sailing, and it's too bad.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 13:46   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Individuals intent on stroking their egos by insisting short range cruisers are not real cruisers, would do well to remember without those who support the local harbors and facilities, they will be invited to fund the whole infrastructure or spend all their time on the hook.
The folks who pay taxes and fees on the boats that they never use certainly help with funding the places that they occupy... as they should! But I don't see what this has to do with the OP's interests.

And vis the difference between folks (like us) who cruise full time as live aboards who move from one anchorage, island or continent to another, seldom visiting a marina... and folks who go sailing on the weekend or for short holidays and then return to their home base... well, seems that if you can't see a categorical difference in our boat usage then you need new prescriptions! I don't view it as an ego stroking event, but there is a difference. I don't care what you choose to call either group, but in the terms of the OP's question, they ain't the same.

Jim
Old 26-12-2016, 13:50   #27

Yes, well said, but my situation does not even allow that much use. I have a more than full-time job, a son in college, a mother in early stage dementia living with me, and an hour commute to get to the boat. I sail my boat absolutely as much as will not endanger my marriage. This stuff about "neglected boats" touches a nerve with me, I'm afraid. I do not own my boat to stoke my ego or to impress my friends (none of whom are sailors or care about sailing or my boat); I own it because from a boy of seven, I have been sailing, first with my father, and now with my sons when I can, and I love it. I wish I could spend more time on the water, but without abandoning responsibilities which are important, I cannot. I hear this stuff about "checkbook sailors" and "occasional sailors" from some people, and it just rolls off my back. I truly do not care what the "real sailors" think of the fact that I only got out sailing six or seven times this year. This kind of talk is what chases people away from sailing, and it's too bad.[/QUOTE]

Your situation is different yet similar to my own. A wife with MS, a high functioning son with Aspergers, and another son chasing a PhD. I love being out there doing it and fortunately my wife lets the dog off the leash knowing a short cruise rejuvenates me to soldier on. Ever since I experienced the magic of the silly amusement park boats that went round and round I have been enchanted by boats. Sailing provides freedom if only for a short while. Those that denigrate others by how much or how little they use their boats never seem to understand how damaging their comments can be to the overall health of the industry. For myself, having worked in a marina for four years I know the costs associated with operating these essential services. I for one am thankful for every boat that continues to be used for whatever brings that individual some happiness. Indeed the puffed up ego driven buffoons do little to enhance the image and was a major reason cited in another thread as to why more people don't race.
Old 26-12-2016, 13:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The folks who pay taxes and fees on the boats that they never use certainly help with funding the places that they occupy... as they should! But I don't see what this has to do with the OP's interests.

And vis the difference between folks (like us) who cruise full time as live aboards who move from one anchorage, island or continent to another, seldom visiting a marina... and folks who go sailing on the weekend or for short holidays and then return to their home base... well, seems that if you can't see a categorical difference in our boat usage then you need new prescriptions! I don't view it as an ego stroking event, but there is a difference. I don't care what you choose to call either group, but in the terms of the OP's question, they ain't the same.

Jim
Thanks, my point is made.
Old 26-12-2016, 14:00   #29

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
Active cruiser.
Yeah, like others have mentioned, that's a bit of a stretch. (weekend warrior equaling active cruiser)

I argue with cruisers all the time, but there is a difference between sailing across 20 miles of open water and sailing across 1,000-2,000 miles of open water
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 14:27   #30

Boat: Tasman 26
pirate Re: How Sailboats Get Used, Or Not?

Hey there, an interesting but difficult to accurately quantify topic.
For example, at our club on Lake Macquarie, There are many boats that race midweek and cruise at the weekend. Or race with different clubs in different seasons.
And one of the boats that races every week, is always covered in bird poop, regardless of nets, owls and snakes etc. to scare them off.

cheers
Perfusser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, sail