Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 17:07   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: How much balls do you need on the West Coast?

HYUGE! Well, actually as much as I'd like to wax hyperbolously of my testicular prowess, I am afraid I am pretty normal. Now if you want to discuss youth and foolishness, that certainly helps around here. Maybe you should tell us where you are moving to and then we can properly scare you off!
It's a different kind of adventure, certainly lower temperature, than your neck of the woods, but all doable... and like all good ski areas, there are bunny runs, intermediate and black diamonds available.... just pick your weather, your heading and what kind of anchorage you want... or just go out for the afternoon and see a whale or pod of dolphins or two...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 17:20   #32

Boat: Liberty 458 46' sail

Lots of good responses. The group could give you a more info it you told us where you are moving to.

Los Angeles has been home since I was a 13. Good place to sail with lots of variety. Nice offshore islands for weekend or multi-week trips. Good day sailing from many of the marinas and reasonable air temps. Keep in mind that the water is colder than you are used to and if you are going in the water you might want some wetsuit protection. During the middle of summer you might get away without a wetsuit.

Marina Del Rey just north of LAX is the largest manmade marine in the world. and San Diego is a great place to sail. And, a nice place to live. There are a few smaller marinas north of Los Angeles but not much of anything north of point

conception. San Diego is not at all like Sothern California. Widely varying conditions. Strong winds and cold water in the bay. Outside the bay, you do need to have your act together. It is sailable but newbies do not belong there
svseawitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 17:33   #33

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

I strongly suspect the original post's reference to the "West Coast" was intended to inquire about the far and distant shores of western Florida.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 17:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudbranch View Post

............................. There really are not many bays or harbors North of San Francisco. And many of those have significant "bars" which means you have to time your bar transit with the tide. I read back in the 1990's that Cape Mendocino (just S of Eureka, CA) is the hardest cape to sail past on the N American continent according to an old US "Coast Pilot." Predominately during the summer there are currents and winds from the N running down the coastline. I sailed out of Newport Bay (mid Oregon coast) for several years. A good day sailing to windward in the summer meant green water over the bow repeatedly in a Dufour 31. .......................

Contact me if you want a detailed log of my cruise of the inside passage last summer with pictures and videos.

Greg
S/V Evania
Cal 31
Nice post Greg, thanks, well written.

I've posted our log here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016

We did ALL of the bars and harbors on the way up. Pictures, too.

Balls? Only if you're stupid and don't plan. And are not a prudent mariner.

Then you need balls, 'cuz you'll find 'em shrinkin' real fast.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 20:43   #35

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
HYUGE! Well, actually as much as I'd like to wax hyperbolously of my testicular prowess...
You wax them too! Wow that is definitely not normal. Or is it? Worse than cold water in any event.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:15   #36

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudbranch View Post

So if you want to protect your personal “jewels,” don’t mind colder weather, and want new cruising grounds, then try Puget Sound, the Strait of Georgia and Queen Charlotte Strait and the Inside Passage to Alaska

Greg
S/V Evania
Cal 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Nice post Greg, thanks, well written.

I've posted our log here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016

We did ALL of the bars and harbors on the way up. Pictures, too.

Balls? Only if you're stupid and don't plan. And are not a prudent mariner.

Then you need balls, 'cuz you'll find 'em shrinkin' real fast.
I'd like to cruise this area of the north west Pacific coast some time. It seems that really a lot of boats are motor trawlers. Are they not the best choice for this area? I imagine there are a lot of days with low wind? Isn't a big keel is a nuisance when anchoring in little bays? And the accommodation in a trawler is far more suited to the climate?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:49   #37

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickelsen View Post
Outstanding cruising throughout the region with the various opportunities ranging from the dryer and at times more gentle as the previous post outlined. As to the danger in the waters north of Point Conception dangerous for those who are willing to chance the weather no matter what. I have a good forty years up and down the coast racing, cruising or delivering boats I have sold or working for a client to move their boats. I also have raced in Victoria/Maui and three TransPacks as well as experience in Mexico and the stellar San Juan Islands. Truly it is the best from many perspectives. The U.S. San Juan islands are spectacular yet you must watch your weather and as necessary be willing to wait out heavy weather in any of a number of ports. For example at one time or another I have had to sit back a week or more and in one period I left the boat in a secure marina and returned to Seattle until the weather backed off and granted fair seas. On the west coast from Panama to Victoria, B.C. I have seen it all and believe you will have the opportunity to enjoy it all with a good boat (lead ballast, mast stepped on the keel and not a handy trans verse stringer, spade rudder, I could go on but you get the idea). NOAA weather modeling is very good as is The Ocean Prediction Centers modeling. Generally the wind will blow in the afternoon be you at Santa Barbara Island or heading to the very beautiful Friday Harbor on San Juan Island and then into the Canadian San Juan Islands. I have seen the better times to transit show up with high pressure and the wind lay down by mid night. If the wind continues to blow through the night stay where you are. For me if the wind will back off to zero to almost nothing during the night say after midnight I have a good chance of light to moderate to run on during the next day or two. Get a no kidding radar for during the night particularly we have fishing boats of all kinds working with some of them one operator who I called on the VHF respond to have lines down and off to bed for the night. As you go north you will encounter "bars" at the entrance of channels and ALWAYS cross them with a flood tide. So, good boat, watch your weather and pickup some of the very good cruising guides. All the best, Peter
Well said!
If your plans are to get experience for world cruising, this is the place. We sailed from Panama to San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico and encountered a little bit of everything. Rain with lightning, so calm the water was like a mirror, chubascos, wind and current against us for days, seven foot swells and 30-40 knot winds (talk about bashing for hours). We laugh about it now. Not so sure how much we were laughing then. Every time we go out of San Felipe for a 4-9 day trip, we get the 6-7 ft. swells with 24-35 knot winds and the "bashing". We regularly have to hide behind islands or in coves.
I would suggest to sail with others that are familiar with the Pacific West Coast at first. Always an eye on the weather reports. Although quite good most of the time, some storms may hit you very fast with little warning. Proper watch at all times! Not only for the weather, but other boats, whales, etc. Not exactly lay back type sailing but not boring. The Baja peninsula and islands are something to experience. Very unique! Take the time to read up on it. Then combine great sailing, diving, and exploring. If you enjoy self reliance, and no one around, this is the place. I hope this helps. Have a nice day!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:07   #38

Boat: shopping

I'm surprised at the offense being taken to the term balls. It is a very common colloquialism use in common speech to indicate courage or bravery especially in the context used here. Not looking to start a discussion on political correctness or the vagaries of the English language. Just pointing out that in my experience it's not a word worthy of being offended by in the way it has been used here.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:06   #39

No need for brass ones for sailing Southern California. Regarding the subject of offending the roundly enhanced, I suppose it depends on the what type you identity with. Basketballs invite abuse but rebound quickly and seem to want more. Bowling balls are tough brutes that don't care who they knock over once the get going. Nothing bothers ball bearings, except the lack of oil. Ping pong balls, though, are easily squashed by the slightest misstep. So you gotta roll with current sensitivities, of not offending the least common denominator, or you risk gathering moss.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:25   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I've sailed just about everywhere. I find the San Juan Islands and Gulf Islands to be my favorite cruising grounds. Shouldn't say that since don't want to spoil a good thing. Lots of good holes to hide. San Diego is beautiful but where do you go?
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:27   #41

Boat: Pearson

when the weather is bad it can be bad, when its good its very good, altho can be light on the wind. one has to be in tune with the weather, not unlike anywhere anchorages, sometimes crowded are somewhat limited. san diegohas some, the marine patrol coast guard, navy , can be annoying at times when at anchor. some places have time limits. oceanside, newport is cool, the dunes, l.a. area. somewhat limited going north. above san fran holy moly , nice in summer, limited wind at times. coos bay inlet holy moley a lot of the time. athletic supporter recommended . plan your weather and enjoy .
Old 03-03-2017, 09:31   #42

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I'd like to cruise this area of the north west Pacific coast some time. It seems that really a lot of boats are motor trawlers. Are they not the best choice for this area? I imagine there are a lot of days with low wind? Isn't a big keel is a nuisance when anchoring in little bays? And the accommodation in a trawler is far more suited to the climate?
Those are a couple of reasons we settled on a trimaran.
Light air? Boat loves to sail in 3 knots or better.
Shallow anchorages? Not really, but if they're full of boats, we just anchor where nobody else can. Boards up, we draw 18 inches.
If we need to use a bow and stern anchor in a shallow spot, often we see our stern anchor way up on the beach at low tide.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:57   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

The mouth of the Columbia will kill you and so will Cape Flattery. Bring your balls. You will need them
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Perhaps. I have concluded, though, that my little sailboat is a trawler with a keel that can sail when conditions are right, and doesn't rock at anchor as nice as trawlers otherwise may be.

Sure, I don't have an inside steering station. I don't have a complete enclosure. I don't have heat *YET!).

But the boat is all mine, paid off, and I know it inside/out.

The water is deep here. I draw 5'-7", not an issue. If it was, there wouldn't be so many sailboats here.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:10   #45

Boat: Pearson

if youve got the money for fuel etc. and your not a sail junkie a trawler is a most pleasant way to go. the futher north the wetter and colder

Tags
west coast