Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 10:10   #121

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: How did you choose your boat name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Yes, no restriction on licensed boats in Canada.

PS. Licensed boats are federally licensed, not provincially.
Did not know that. So they are provincially designated, but federally managed…

Just looked at my old Pleasure Craft License starting with “ON#######, issued by (as you say) Transport Canada … there ya go!

(BTW, instead of carrying on this hijack, I’m starting a new thread with a question of licensing vs registering)
Old 05-03-2017, 12:38   #122

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Enjoying the various reasonings ( or not) re boat names. Ours is Prime Time, not original at all. But to us it signified a time in our life where we were transferring our "prime time" from land-based activity to our time on the water. And it really has been that way.

Side issue was that I wanted something easily readable on the boat - big letters, no script and no complicated words. Pet peeve is having to use binos to read boat names when they're anchored almost beside you.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 15:22   #123

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Pet peeve is having to use binos to read boat names when they're anchored almost beside you.
Sorry to tell you...its not the font or the letter size thats the problem. I have the same issue with all those tiny numbers on charts.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 15:50   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Some are hard to read by style:

Some are hard to read by code:

Some are "Privacy":

Some are famous for surviving attack:

Some don't need a name, they're just familiar:

Some names can be read a mile away:

Old 05-03-2017, 16:02   #125

Boat: Catalina 320

This one was named "OM" when we got it, sounded like you had memory problems on the radio and I got tired of explaining that it was Sanskrit for "humankind". Now it's named for the boat's CFO and everybody in the marina remembers my wife's name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	us 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	142523  
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 16:46   #126

Boat: Tasman 26

I called our boat Assylum, Because she is my refuge from the maddening world, a place of safety and protection. Of course I am a Mental Health Nurse, which provided added meaning. And she is deliberately spelt with a double S, because she is a fat bottomed girl, with a little tender behind (26'x91/2'). The dink is Assylum Seeker (of course).

I am thinking my next boat might called Rehab.
Perfusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 17:44   #127

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Great post. I changed the name of my boat from an allegedly good scotch to my daughters name. It is finally getting back in the water after damage from hurricane Matthew. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6053.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	142534
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 18:00   #128

Call sign!
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 18:08   #129

I think I've settled on S/V ArtSea. Probably not original enough, but definitely not as common as Aquaholic.

I'm a photographer, and I knit, crochet, and spin my own yarn, in addition to painting, drawing, building my own fishing rods, and working with hot glass. So artsy = ArtSea kinda describes me.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 18:10   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I have often thought of changing my boats name which was named by her original owner 36 years ago "CHAIM" which is pronounced "KAHIEM", a Hebrew word meaning " life ", I am told. Needless to say I have to spell it out with the radio phonetics every time I check into a Marina or talk to the authorities. Good thing it is not too long. Because it is Federally registered in Canada and a fee is involved in the name change, I have decided that after owning it for 11 years there really is no point to changing it now.

"Chaim" is pronounced like "Ha eem", except the H is rough. Not that that's going to help you on the radio except in "Chaifa".

Anyway to the questioner, it sounds like this boat is about to become the most significant female in your life, so how about something like "my best girl", "my girl", "girly girl" ...

Or, since you will often be inside her, though not in a sexual way, maybe "mother ship".

I'm personally a fat atheist, so I briefly thought about "The Lard is My Sustenance". Too long.

I then thought about a Dr. Doolittle character I'm particularly fond of, a turtle named Mudface. Slow, steady, wise. But then I looked it up and found out that people are very disgusting. No go.

Still struggling with this.
kalbahnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 18:14   #131

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

My boat name is a mouthful. Crystal Blue Persuasion. Longer than a boat name should be in my opinion, but it is my father's favorite song, and he taught me how to sail. Plus, it gets some good responses checking into marinas and crossing other cruisers. I put the name on the boom.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 19:21   #132

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I think I've settled on S/V ArtSea. Probably not original enough, but definitely not as common as Aquaholic.

I'm a photographer, and I knit, crochet, and spin my own yarn, in addition to painting, drawing, building my own fishing rods, and working with hot glass. So artsy = ArtSea kinda describes me.
I like it

There are a couple of other sailor spinners on this board. You are in good company. KininAK even plan on bringing her wheel when she moves aboard. I don't have room for a wheel on my boat But it would be fun to have the very first Salty Spin-in!
Old 05-03-2017, 20:22   #133

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I considered many possible names until I realised the perfect name for our boat describes my wife of many years. She is Irish and the name I chose is 'Macushla' ... look it up on Google.
I registered the name and there are no others of the same name. ... 'Macushla' of Victoria.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 20:27   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I like it

There are a couple of other sailor spinners on this board. You are in good company. KininAK even plan on bringing her wheel when she moves aboard. I don't have room for a wheel on my boat But it would be fun to have the very first Salty Spin-in!

When we sold our house and moved full time into our RV I had to get rid of my wheel. So I built myself an e-spinner for about $150 to save room. Check it out here.

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/diy-tools/3362783/1-25
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 20:51   #135

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

Hi

Love boat names - the clever ones - and shudder when I see well used and oft repeated ones.

When single, my first boat - a 'learner' as I called it, was resurrected from a deceased estate - and was quite rough - so was called "The incredible Hulk'.

The second vessel, a nice 40' I called 'After You'! It worked wonders!
'So what is the name of your boat?' I would be asked by a young 'potential' woman. "Gosh! That is amazing! It is called after you!' I was halfway home.

The tender was called 'After You Too' -------

Then one night after a few drinks with a good Irish mate - and we partied a lot in those days, he said ' I have a grand name for your boat. Cirrhosis of the River!

We couldn't spell it at first - but after we changed the name - we got a lot of laughs at out local island called Rottnest.

When I sold the boat, the new owners wife said she wouldn't be seen dead on a boat with a name like that.

Why I asked.

It's all in the name.

Cheers

Gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat