Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2013, 19:16   #16

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: Houston/Galveston, TX area boat storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Cruisers Forum Memorial Day Matagorda Madness?
Is this a new idea or an existing event? We're in either way!
Old 26-12-2013, 20:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Just think of Tow Boat US as an investment with a gauranteed return, rather than insurance you may never need.
+1 to that. 4 years of insurance. 2 calls to Tow Boat US. I am at least $400 ahead.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 20:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Is this a new idea or an existing event? We're in either way!
New idea. I will start a thread.
Old 26-12-2013, 23:00   #19

Boat: Columbia 36 MkI

Good to know Gato! I have sailed a bit in Tx waters but always on beach cats. Honestly this is my first monohull. My last boat was an 18' Sol Cat and it may as well have been a U.F.O compared to Izzy. After hearing so much about shallow waters I'm beginning to get concerned. Izzy draughts 5.5'!

Sounds like that place in San Leon is my kinda storage lot! I need to do thru-hulls, bottom paint (including some minor blistering) and I would like to paint the rest of her as well. After 45 years her gelcoat is beginning to wear thin! Plus I have a few other things on the list that would be much easier done while on the hard.

+1 more on the meet Raindog. I'd really like to get to know some folks down that way. The sailing scene at E.B. is mostly racers. They're a friendly bunch but they dont really have any idea about cruising.
coltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 23:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltex View Post
+1 more on the meet Raindog. I'd really like to get to know some folks down that way. The sailing scene at E.B. is mostly racers. They're a friendly bunch but they dont really have any idea about cruising.
Great. I started a new thread for it: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...up-117759.html

Post your preferences there.
Old 27-12-2013, 01:36   #21

Quote:
After hearing so much about shallow waters I'm beginning to get concerned. Izzy draughts 5.5'!

I'd really like to get to know some folks down that way.

Yeah at 5.5' you'll not want to sail in Clear Lake at all. The Bay will be ok most of the time unless the North wind is blowing hard and the water is blown out. You'll want to look for a marina close to the Bay, as opposed to up-lake, if you sail a lot. I live in Marina Del Sol, and I love it. But your draft makes it less than optimal for you. If I had that draft and planned to sail a lot I'd look at PortoFino. Or even Galveston Yacht Basin, easy reach to the Gulf.

When you're down here just give a shout, there are lots of folks in the Clear Lake area that are always happy to meet new people!
Old 27-12-2013, 08:45   #22

Quote:
After hearing so much about shallow waters I'm beginning to get concerned. Izzy draughts 5.5'!
I draft 5'1 and never had a problem getting from my marina out the channel. For sure you will not be sailing in Clear Lake, but not many keel boats do that anyway. Only place I have ever run aground in Galveston bay area is the entrance to Double Bayou, but running aground there is a right of passage.
Old 27-12-2013, 09:42   #23

If all goes well with work and the move I will be there in a few weeks. I'm definitely going to have a look at galveston yacht basin and portofino. By portofino do you mean the marina and yacht club just inside clear lake? I like the look of the place from the air, I will definitely be stopping by to check it out. Where are you slipped at Raindog, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 27-12-2013, 09:50   #24

Currently I am at Island Moorings in Port Aransas. When I was in the Clear Lake area, I was at first at Seabrook Marina, then moved to Waterford Harbor. If you will sail your boat regularly, the for sure it is nice to be at either Seabrook, Portofino, or Kemah Boardwalk Marina. All of them are right next to the channel, so you can be out on the bay in <10 minutes. My impression of the three: Kemah is best if you want to be in the middle of the action (think an apartment on Bourbon street). Seabrook is best if you want quiet. Portofino is best if you want an active party scene.

Waterford is the nicest marina in the area and has exemplary hurricane protection. If you will sail less often or just want the protection, I can definitely recommend them.
Old 27-12-2013, 11:00   #25

Sounds like Seabrook or Kemah for me. I like the party scene but not in my backyard all the time.
Old 27-12-2013, 12:02   #26

Boat: Slocum 43

Marinas.. Waterford is a great hurricane hole. Watergate to a lesser extent but still good protection on the inside harbour and under a 6' draft you won't have any issues. I've been at watergate now for almost 10 years. I like Portifino and was there for many years too. Good crowd and 99% sailors. Stay away from Kemah boardwalk marina. The area is swamped on the weekend with tourist and it's loud. The quick access to the bay isn't worth it.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 21:35   #27

Boardwalk has stupid crazy traffic. That's plenty of reason to stay away from there. Portofino is only a few hundred yards further from the bay, but worlds away from the crowded roads.

Pay attention to the caviots of how often you sail. No reason to pay premium slip fees and have less storm protection if you sail once or twice a month. I sail weekly at least and still don't mind the 25 or 30 minutes gettong to the bay. But I can also sail Clear Lake if I'd rather, so that's different.

Tags
boat yard, houston, storage