Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 14:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
anchor stowage practical ideas needed please

OK we just bought new anchor gear and went with a 45lb Delta and 150ft of 3/8 chain which is now all in situ on the boat but the anchor needs to be held firmly in place rather better in the bow roller. The previous poncy stainless claw anchor was drilled and a pin through bow fitting and anchor kept it in place. Is it OK to drill the shank of the galvanized steel Delta to use the same system? On our last UK boat we pulled the anchor tight into a 3 corner plastic fender which worked really well but a) they don't sell them here in the USA and b) we have no aluminium toe rail with convenient hole as places to tie one off to. There are over- centre type chain tensioner things sold here to tension the chain and pull the anchor tight intotheroller or we could just tie it in place with some line and maybe have a wood wedge or two to jam it in place in the roller fitting and prevent the potential for sideways sliding in lumpy seas and the irritating associated clunking.

All ideas gratefully received.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 15:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: anchor stowage practical ideas needed please

Drilling a hole in the shank for a retaining pin is a common practice but it is not ideal for several reasons.

1. The pin can jam, or even bend and jam making it very difficult to release the anchor.
2. It weakens the shank
3. It is likely to void any bending warranty (The delta does not have a bending warranty so it is a factor here)

Lashing the anchor is better (using exsistng holes in the anchor and over the top of the shank). The lashing can be cut in an emergancy.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 16:00   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

noelex77 said it all. Except why you didn't get a Manson Supreme.
Old 30-12-2013, 16:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

noelex77 said it all. Except why you didn't get a Manson Supreme.
I toyed with getting a Rocna but not a chinky built one and being unsure of that manufacturer was what made me decide to go Delta and one size up from what it could be, an anchor we used with great success for years in European waters and consequently have huge confidence in. we want to use it primarily on the east coast USA and out to the islands and locals tell me the Delta is the favourite of those doing that. I'm still tempted to get it drilled for the1/2 inch dia pin that held the old anchor. I would like to find the three cornered bow fender made by Anchor that we used in the UK, theyare still sold there for about $30 US but they uoted mr $80 to ship one over to us in the USA. WE don't have anybody currently planning to visit us from the UK in the near future but next lot that do will have a deflated fender in their luggage!
Old 30-12-2013, 16:29   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I am sure I have just answered that question. We have a 15mm hole in our for the pin and the widget but there is still a shed load of steel shank left. If in the unlikely event it bends I will buy another.

Slightly more worrying is the idea that stuffing the bow into a good wave could bend the retaining pin enough you can't get it out in a hurry. Not sure if this is internet folklore or something that could happen or even has happened. Certainly if you were in a marina and someone pranged into your bow firstly they would be missing some gelcoat but could easily bend the pin without you knowing.

So our Delta lives in the anchor locker for now, does the Benny 36cc not have a bow locker?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 16:37   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

First, if the anchor is held tightly into the roller, I can't imagine any wave action that would bend the 1/2 inch pin that the OP mentions. Second, if there is any doubt, then a simple lashing to any deck cleat or around the headstay or whatever solid object is aft of the anchor will certainly do the job, and with essentially no investment.

This seems a non-problem to me!

Jim
Old 30-12-2013, 17:35   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I have seen pins through the anchor shank bent. It's not one big plowing through a wave that bends it but bit by bit on a long trip and it's a bitch trying to free the anchor.
Old 30-12-2013, 17:54   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: anchor stowage practical ideas needed please

Had a pin through the shank of a CQR on my Westerly Longbow... anchored in Cascais we were subjected to a 40-50kt blow coming down the valley for 3 days.. on the 4th day the wind eased enough for us to row ashore and do some shopping... we were sitting at a restaurant in the square when a guy who'd watched us come in came running up to our table and started making rowing gestures then waving in an 'away' gesture.. took a minute to twig that he was dumb... then I twigged something else... someone was stealing the dinghy.. I leapt up.. told my G/F to grab the shopping and legged it for the jetty... the dinghy was fine.. so muttering under my breath I started back to see Liz staggering towards me with all the bags yelling.. "The boat.. The Boat.."
I spun round and looked where she was anchored and she was not there... then I saw her 1/4 mile from where she'd been and some fishermen in a small launch were passing the chain up to their ship...
Man.. the Oxford/Cambridge crews woulda been left standing.. did not know I could row that fast... climbed aboard and yelled for them to chuck the chain in the water as I started the engine then went forward to haul it in.. thought she'd dragged.. but no..
The shank had snapped right at the hole..
Yes.. the pin kept it fixed and neat... but it nearly cost us our boat.. these days I lash anchors.. and Portuguese fishermen can do no wrong..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 18:13   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I just use a decent lashing from anchor shackle back to a mooring cleat.
For extra security if expecting the bow to be digging in, a lashing through the holes in the bow roller side plates and over the top of the anchor shank.
Have a 60lb Manson boss which has a large fluke area, not shifted unintentionally yet
(kiss of death saying that)
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 18:35   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If it really worrys ya, deck store it !! The only time mine is not stored in the bilge, is when we are anchoring daily or at least every other day!! Even when I coastal cruise I deck stow it and lash it well !! I had a loose anchor ONCE, never again !! If I had not had a steel boat I might have done some bad damage!! With proper deck mounts and good lashing your always just a few seconds away from being able to launch your anchor if ya need to but your safe from haveing loose anchor sydrome !! Just my 2 cents
Old 30-12-2013, 18:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I am sure I have just answered that question. We have a 15mm hole in our for the pin and the widget but there is still a shed load of steel shank left. If in the unlikely event it bends I will buy another.

Slightly more worrying is the idea that stuffing the bow into a good wave could bend the retaining pin enough you can't get it out in a hurry. Not sure if this is internet folklore or something that could happen or even has happened. Certainly if you were in a marina and someone pranged into your bow firstly they would be missing some gelcoat but could easily bend the pin without you knowing.

So our Delta lives in the anchor locker for now, does the Benny 36cc not have a bow locker?

Pete
Yes the Benny 36 has an anchor locker, but it also has a skipper 12 months on but almost 100% recovered from a bad stroke and with two previously installed new hips to boot, agility on the foredeck is no longer a given these days especially in any choppy water and is why we picked the Benny with in-mast mainsail, furling genoa, new stern davits or a stable RIB, motor lift crane and.... an electric windlass and bow roller mounted anchor. the jury is still out but I'm favourind drilling the very wide/thick shank of the Delta to use the existing pin device
Old 30-12-2013, 19:18   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The shank had snapped right at the hole..:bang
I bet this photo that I took will give you nightmares Boatie.. They even notched the hole to encourage crack propagation.

In reality the risk is small. It is quite common for shanks to drilled and its rare to hear of a problem, but I still don't think its a good idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	73038  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, cal, lease