Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 11:08   #31

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.
Re: HELP! Me Learn a New Language. Please. Please, please

I think you have to have at least one formal adult class to learn the gender thing. Male vs. female nouns etc. Mesa/table=female noun, while Libro/book=male noun. Also that in most languages the adjectives follow the noun. Like house white instead of white house. Then I have Pimsleur I-III very good for conversation. West Marine has a small book on nautical terms. I bought the Spanish one. I also have RS but can't seem to get off the ground in it.

Now my big problem is I can't remember it. To many years of Johnny Walker Red on few brain cells. So my advice? Go where you are going, spend a little time and find a duo language lady or two to travel with you. Pay her a normal wage and she will interpret, teach and save you money in the long run. Side benefits are also negotiable. A buddy and I did this in Brazil and it worked out quite nicely for all concerned. Good luck and let us know how you do!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 11:36   #32

Quote: "Male vs. female nouns"

"Masculine" and "feminine", perhaps? And what about the "neuter" ones :-)? Just don't worry about it. You may sound "funny" for a while if you get the genders and the declensions wrong, but each time you do that, you present yourself with a golden opportunity to make a joke of it and ask for help. Or take the help that will be volunteered. I blew it recently in German because there are rules for what case attaches to particular prepositions. A quick way to remember is that governing the accusative case there are only eight prepositions - everything else can be handled through the dative. The eight are: "bis, durch, entlang, für, gegen, ohne, um, wider". So you just learn them like a litany.

As for the "dual case" preps - who cares :-) ? You'll be understood whatever you do, and after a while the entire prepositional phrase, as spoken by native speakers, will sink into your subconsciousness, and you won't even be aware of the underlying grammar.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 11:50   #33

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

GREAT TIPS Guys, Thanks! And yes, once you get to say about the 2nd grade level in any language, the generally, folks are more than happy to help you well express yourself (properly) if you've at all a good attitude.

I hadn't thought of hiring a translator for important things, or travel, but it's an interesting idea. And one that's commonly one in business. So it's worth considering for sure. Anyone have some wise thoughts on how to go about it (other than Google)?

I guess I know what I'll be studying now on those nights when sleep is tough to come by. What with all of these resource options.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 11:52   #34

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Nobody is perfect !
Speak for yourself ...
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 11:56   #35

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Speak for yourself ...
Ah, I think Vanity is one of the 7 Deadly Sins. And if so that would disqualify one as being perfect

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 12:12   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

You cannot become fluent FAST. Possibly you cannot even become fluent.

Look at kids: they will listen for maybe 2 years and then exercise for maybe 8 and then they are very fluent. At 10.

I have been learning English for 30 years now but anybody here knows I am not native, nor fluent, not even close to.

So it takes some 10 years of the beautiful young mind to master the native language. Many people master more than one, mostly people who grew up in more than one country.

Anyways.

For Spanish: check out if Instituto Cervantes offers courses close to you. They are quite amazing with native teachers who have plenty of experience. Then also look for local Spanish speaking communities - make friends. Just mind if you befriend Catalans, Basques or Gallegos, you may end up learning something not all that universal.

Spanish is a great language and people in Spain are awesome. Learning the language is well worth the effort.

French. Well ... sure, give it a shot. It is a beautiful language and my first mate is now learning it. But we started late and we are not in France. There is some progress and we hope to be able to somewhat communicate winter 2017/18 in Martinique and Guadeloupe. It took her two years of intensive study to get to the point where she can watch French movies, news, or read French books. But it is nowhere close to Spanish. It is a difficult language with complex grammar and difficult pronunciation. A pleasure to listen to and most useful to sailors, but not an easy job to learn.

Listen, listen, listen then listen more. This is always the first step anyways.

Have fun learning!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 12:44   #37

Boat: Pearson 34-II

UC, I lived in Puebla, Mexico in the 70's. My Spanish was barely passable before leaving the States. Within 3 months of total immersion, I was functional. The best way to learn is to hire a local tutor for one hour, four days a week and talk. You can study Spanish/French grammar on your off days and practice conversation(proper grammar/syntax) during your sessions. Native speakers in your local community are, many times, willing to help you with immersion for little or no money. If you have a knack for languages, you'll be surprised how quickly you become functional. Forget the tapes . . . find a native speaker. Buena Suerte, amigo . . . y recuerda: el camino es largo y la vida es corta-- vive con pasion!!
Old 30-04-2017, 13:13   #38

Try Meetup.com ... it's international and if they don't have a specific group in you area, start one! e.g. search for "French/Spanish" in where ever you are and ... who knows what else you might find! Maybe just a "Spanish exotic dancers group"; who knows what other skills you may learn!
InternetSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 13:23   #39

I strongly recommend Kathy Parson's French for Cruisers, and also Spanish for Cruisers, (and maybe for other languages?). Unique, practical, indispensable.

It is a no nonsense, outstanding, comprehensive and easy to use communication guide designed and written specifically for Cruisers by a very experienced cruising enthusiast.
It covers all those difficult situations in boatyards, services and activities, electrical and mechanical, docking and anchoring and much more. All with a clever fast referencing system.
We have cruised in France and Spain for several seasons, and this guide is indispensable.
Try it ... You won't regret.
padken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 16:46   #40
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

+1 for Pimsleur.

Along with the immersion suggestions, I am really happy with Pimsleur. I took Spanish in middle and high school, but that was many years ago. Pimsleur helped to bring it all back and the lessons are in complete sentences. It also covers feminine vs masculine nouns.

I also bought Rosetta Stone as I got a discount through work. What a waste of money! Ugh.

I only got through about 12 lessons before our trip to Cuba. It helped enough. Having to speak Spanish as not many there speak English, many words came flooding back. I hope to get through all the lessons before we take off this fall for wherever the winds may take us. But if I don't, they'll be there on my laptop. If we land in a country where we'll stay a while, I think I'll take the advice someone gave of hiring a tutor for an hour day (maybe more). Good advice, there.

Whatever you do, good luck to you.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 16:51   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

unless you have a very specific reason to pick those two languages (like a job offer that requires them) . . . . I would suggest 21st century = Mandarin first choice by a long long shot.

My personal experience in learning languages - immersion is by far far the best way to go.

congrats on the initiative and I wish you success. I wish more Americans (including our leaders) would follow your lead.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 16:59   #42

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

I wish more Americans (including our leaders) would follow your lead.

It would be nice if he learned even one language.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 17:12   #43

Re: HELP! Me Learn a New Language. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Total immersion and no speaking English 24/7. So to learn Spanish move to LA and to learn French to Quebec.

An old Jewish joke.

Moishe comes to Brooklyn from the Old Country to visit his old shtetl buddy Chaim who immigrated a while ago and became a successful restaurant owner. Chaim welcomes him to his restaurant with open arms, happy to see his old buddy and eager to show off his success. Chaim: "Moishe, order anything you like" and motions to the waiter. The waiter, an elderly Chinese gentleman, comes to the table and to Moishe's astonishment asks what he wants to order in perfect Yiddish. Moishe turns in amazement to his buddy Chaim and asks, also in Yiddish: "Where did he learn to speak our language???" Chaim: "Shhhh, he thinks it's English..."
Can't say there is really any quick learn but you have chosen two Romance languages (Latin based) and that should make it easier. Unfortunately, your previous languages do not give you much to draw from. That being said, I would suggest trying Pimsler as their conversational language courses are free and the advanced language courses run about $125 ea.
I used Pimsler to help with my Italian prior to my last visit there. I had been semi-fluent in French but lost much after years of not using it and I also spoke a little "street" Spanish. After using Pimsler, I was able to barter with the street vendors in the Rialto Market in Venice, even joking with them after they scorned the "dumb American" in front of me that didn't know how to barter. (Be aware that barter is done in Italy while not in France or Spain - know the accepted customs for the area(s) you are going to visit). And, understand that most of the tourist area you'll visit speak English. If you make the effort to speak their language and understand their customs, they will gladly help you out.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 17:19   #44
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
It would be nice if he learned even one language.
ROFL. Yes!
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 18:00   #45

Boat: a sailing boat

REAP the Internet. Pay in Internet fees what many people pay in textbook costs. The amt of quality learning material on the web is huge.

Avoid too much reading and too much grammar study early on. Knowing all the words and all the grammar IS NOT language. Understanding what they say and being able to express what you want to say is primary.

If you can have a native teacher (a teacher of language, not just any native speaker) this is GREAT.

NEVER build your own, always copy, correct, phrases. You do not want to just talk, you want to imitate how they say it.

Avoid learning both Spanish and French at once. Make a good start with one of them and only then go for the other. They are to some extent similar and if you learn both at once, from the zero level, it will take more time.

Remember language envelops culture. Immerse yourself in the culture of the language you are studying. Yes, them ;-) do see some things differently. This is why we are learning new languages - to become new people.

This one should get you started. Spanish is fun, Pedro Almodovar is a great director. Luz Casal is a great rock singer. Carnaval (el) is great and you too will end up dressing up ;-) ;-) ;-)

https://www.letras.com/luz-casal/492429/

Un abrazo,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease