Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 06:14   #1

Hello and General Question

Hi everyone. Thank you for letting my wife and I in to the forums. Right now, our dream to go sailing is under way. We have a lot of the leg work in the purchase of our boat done and are simply a survey/sea trial away. Hopefully in a little more than a month, we'll be bringing her home.

I do have a general all-inclusive question for the seasoned sailors and or motorboat owners out there...if you care to take a moment to answer.

The Question: In your experiences, what is the single most important thing you would say has helped you during your on-water life?

This question is VERY open ended. One might say "This tool is it" or "I had this training once, and have used it every day since" or "a good sailing buddy" or "my boat (duh!)" or or or...I could go on. Any ONE thing you think has been the best thing or been the most beneficial. I realize most if not all would say there is not one thing...but, please humor me/us and choose one of the multitude of things you have on your mind.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate all replies.

Thanks, GIB!!!
GibbyGibstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:21   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Hello and General Question

The following: All rules of marital civility are null and void during anchoring or docking. Anything said during those times is immediately forgotten.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 08:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
The following: All rules of marital civility are null and void during anchoring or docking. Anything said during those times is immediately forgotten.
--> Noted...and I will make sure my beautiful wife understands this as well. BTW, we have decided the muscle will be at the bow and the brains will be at the wheel. Will leave that up to interpretation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Having sailed with several well seasoned sailors giving me hands-on direct to the point advice and teachings, both the stories of their own personal sailing experiences and the direct observation of things happening on the boat while sailing. That would be the single most important thing in my experience.

dj
--> We are looking forward to spending time with both new and old sea dogs alike.

Thanks for the input.

GIB!!!
Old 21-05-2020, 08:23   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
I’m no longer married but I can remember distinctly what is was like when first learning to sail together. I LOVE this advice! Spot on.
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 08:42   #5

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

MAYBE by the husband but NEVER by the wife

Anything said during those times is immediately forgotten
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 10:16   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
To me this sounds like an excuse to be un-civil during these maneuvers, in other words shouting and sharp words, usually from husband to wife.

I reject this excuse and truly regret whenever I have been uncivil.

You see, as someone else has commented, the harsh words and ill-treatment does sting, and this does not go away easily. Further, others will overhear and it leaves a bad impression with them also (of both parties)

The solution is practice, clearly stated expectations (of what will happen and what has to e done), hand signals (yes, hand signals!) and most of all competence on the part of hubby.

If the hubby is competent, has explained it ahead of time, and then is able to do it, there will be less need for a high level of loud, impatient, instructions.

(and the tables can be turned, same approach)

There is no excuse for loud, impatient, (often incorrect) instructions, and no need for anything which has to be immediately forgotten.
Old 19-05-2020, 07:30   #7
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Having sailed with several well seasoned sailors giving me hands-on direct to the point advice and teachings, both the stories of their own personal sailing experiences and the direct observation of things happening on the boat while sailing. That would be the single most important thing in my experience.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:39   #8

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

In a follow up to my earlier post, collaboration is key. Collaborate on everything. It will keep the two of you communicating.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:02   #9

Quote:
In a follow up to my earlier post, collaboration is key. Collaborate on everything. It will keep the two of you communicating.
--> The missus and are the team. We talk about everything. We’ve already decided on a few items of contrition for safety. If either one of us feels something is inherently unsafe (one thinks life jackets should be don’ed – regardless what the other thinks, the safer course of action will happen)…for instance. But, we agree…communication in every aspect is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
The most important thing you should know is that continuous maintenance is a part of the cruising life. You need to have the skills, tools, parts and desire with you where-ever you sail to keep your vessel safe. Personally I enjoy the work and its brings me immense satisfaction.
--> Skills take time. Tools takes collaboration, necessity and money. Parts take necessity and money. All that, for the most part, we have (the money...we have what we need to do what we want to do. Not bragging, we've worked and saved for years for this). Desire…our dream is very large…both of us want and need to do this. Getting to where we want to go is very important to us. Getting there safely is…more, importanter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
"The Question: In your experiences, what is the single most important thing you would say has helped you during your on-water life?"..........That this is not a cheap hobby
--> Already seeing that. But, we’re walking in with our minds eye open and trying to figure out what is more important. Hence…this thread.

Thanks all for your replies.
GIB!!!
Old 19-05-2020, 09:55   #10

Boat: KP 46

Just do it.

Marinas are full of boats of people who want to go cruising but need to wait for this or that, always some excuse. They mean well and have dreams, but they never do it.

The Most Important thing..

Get out and do it, don't just talk about it.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 09:56   #11

The single most important thing to my sailing successes has been learning how to be self-reliant in almost all things on the water.
Hankasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:03   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Just like the rest of life - a positive attitude.

When I wake up in Feb and the gales are blowing and the daylight is less than 8 hours and my bilge pump quits and you-know-all-the-rest-of-the-story, I still have this kernel of satisfaction that "yes, we're tough and we've done it before and we'll do it again". Of course living aboard in the Pacific Northwest is like this, so my answer will be different than someone in the Caribbean - "oh, well, another warm, sunny day and I don't have enough sun block and the bilge pump quits" etc.

Most everyone I meet that lasts any significant time on board is energized by the challenges, and most everyone I meet that gives up after a year is exhausted by the challenges. Maybe unrealistic expectations. It's life, just on a boat!

Good luck to both of you.
Old 19-05-2020, 08:05   #13

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

The most important thing you should know is that continuous maintenance is a part of the cruising life. You need to have the skills, tools, parts and desire with you where-ever you sail to keep your vessel safe. Personally I enjoy the work and its brings me immense satisfaction.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 08:27   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

"The Question: In your experiences, what is the single most important thing you would say has helped you during your on-water life?"..........That this is not a cheap hobby
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:34   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
These two points together. Self reliance for maintenance means you know your boat and can handle situations that come up. Since labor can often exceed the cost of materials DIY is a huge money saver. Also you can take the time to do it right or redo it if you are not happy with how it turned out. Hiring labor means the job is done as quickly as it can be done so the money can be collected and the workers can move on to the next job.

By doing it yourself you can afford to buy the best equipment. Don't scrimp on quality.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote