Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 07:38   #91

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Heeling!

And that is the reason we have a catamaran.

My husband doesn't get seasick, but, after going though menopause, I do. Just find something that works and stick with it.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 07:38   #92

Never been a big fan of excessive heeling. I discover that the less you heel the more comfortable the ride, digging the rail into the water you lose speed. More than once back in the 80’s sailing between st croix and St. John’s in November. With roughly 20 to 30 knots of wind we were able to average over 5 knots with no problem by sailing as level as possible. Made it easier on the chef cook.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 07:45   #93

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi
1 Perhaps you belong to one of these clubs?
MarineWaypoints.com: Organizations/Yacht, Sailing & Boating Clubs/Finland Dinghy racing is fun, and then racing your Hanse...

2 Can every one swim by day and night, and duck dive i.e. not frightened getting your head wet?
3 Have you tried sailing in company, and crew swaps for the day?
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:10   #94

Boat: Ufo 34

If I had the money, Catamaran 40ish ft all the way. There's something about sitting with the beer not sliding across the table at dinner time that appeals :-) Although I own a 34ft UFO I've sailed a few cats, leopard 40's, across the Atlantic along with a few Benateau 50's and the cats were infinitely more comfortable. I've only been in a force 9 on a cat so can't really tell you about heavy seas, I was always going downwind so take 2/3 forces off that and it was long slow swell which was easy to deal with as well. As a last point, I've never had any crew sea sick on a cat :-)
Knig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:13   #95

Try a catamaran by chartering one. They don’t heel like a monohull but they’re not flat either in heavy weather. They do other things and can “Jump” in severe conditions. The slapping on the bridge deck in rough conditions can also be unnerving. I know this - we’ve sailed around the world in our 44’ cat. I get less nauseous in the cat than in the monohull mainly because when I’m run the galley and salon I can see out and see the horizon. It’s not why we got the cat but it’s been a good side effect!
roscheetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:15   #96

Heeling doesn't cause seasickness, rolling and pitching does, esp if you aren't looking at the sea. Cats do both in heavier seas, and to my limited knowledge, a jerkier movement. Monohulls roll less when they are heeling. Upright, you might roll 30 degrees from the mid point. Heeling, you might only roll 15 or 20 degrees from the mid point. Motor boats roll more than sail in all but the flattest seas.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:17   #97

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Heeling on its own may not make someone sick, but for some people, being constantly at an angle is enough to make them more sensitive to other movement.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:32   #98

Hey, I’m a longtime lurker, first time poster. Finally, a subject I can weigh in on! I’m more or less a novice sailor, but the BF is a knowledgeable, very experienced sailor.

He is also an... aggressive sailor. He enjoys racing, and he likes to challenge himself to get as much power out of the boat as possible, as efficiently as possible. If we’re heading into the wind... the heel is real! I don’t tend towards motion sickness, but the breakneck pace along with heeling hard does make me nervous... and a nervous tummy can sometimes be not-so-fun. I can really relate to your kids’ fears.

What helped me be more comfortable with BF’s... uh... style... was to ask him explain to me exactly what was happening, exactly what to do to stay safe (i.e., explain potential scenarios and the way to resolve issues and problems), and to earn my trust that nothing bad was going to happen. Knowing that we were never out of control went a big way towards settling my nerves. He also put me at the helm a few times, but only when I was feeling confident enough. Putting your kids at the helm might be a help, but not everyone is comfortable with that... so I wouldn’t force the issue with a kid.

I also think part of attaining a comfort level with heeling is just sheer repetition. For those new-ish to sailing, part of learning is to simply get used to how everything is supposed to feel. When a boat tips hard to one side, “YAY THIS IS FUN” is not most people’s first reaction! (First time I sailed as a young kid in college and heeled hard, I immediately jumped to a very natural “HOLY FLAMING EXPLETIVES NO NO NO NO NO”). While I’m not a massive fan of heeling hard, I now know and am used to the feel of it.

Anyway, just my 2˘... apologies if this is repetitive as I did not read the entire thread. Good luck with whatever strategy you employ!
ShakingTheTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:38   #99

Boat: Mainship 34 Mk I
Re: Heeling! and sea sickness

The best prevention for sea sickness I've found is ginger. Ginger snaps, ginger ale, ginger beer, ginger candy, whatever. As long as it contains real ginger.

Before I take newbies out I stock up on organic ginger snaps and ginger ale. I have everyone eat 8-10 snaps.

I also have everyone "help me" by keeping a sharp lookout for boats, swimmers and objects in the water. I have them shout out when they spot something. This helps keep eyes up and on the horizon.

Ginger works.
Rowmance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:43   #100
Marine Service Provider

Learn how to sail. You can reef your sails at will to reduce sail area and thus heel. You can sail most conditions without your leeward rail ever touching the water. Second, use your traveler, alot! You can dump the wind gusts from your mainsail easily to virtually eliminate excessive heel. Third, sail with just a jib, simple and easy to control. Read alot about this there are many great reads available on this subject but learning your boats behavior in all conditions is key. Sail on!
prholzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:48   #101

Boat: Atlantic 57

My wife had an instinctive dislike of heeling, she would fight it, refuse to accept "the new down" and would often get seasick. She tolerated cruising and sailing, putting up with the bad (for her) parts to get the good parts.

15 years ago while between boats we started bareboating cats, and switched back and forth a few times. New boat is a cat. Now my wife enjoys cruising and sailing instead of tolerating it. Subtracting heeling and the aggro that followed from it did the trick.

True story.
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:52   #102

Have you tried candied ginger? Its pure ginger slices with sugar on it. Ginger, and ginger ale soda is one of the best remedies, and kids like it. Take before setting out.

Suggest slowing things down, reef a lot, but don't give up and motor or things will never change. Keep them involved on deck, never below while moving. Lots of swim breaks and NO unreasonable destination goals. Some of this may be thought processes that have evolved or been shared and have taken over.

Hope this is helpful the Hanse is one fantastic sailboat!

Chessie Sailor Annapolis, MD, USA
Old 27-07-2020, 08:55   #103

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I'll throw some more confusion in the hat here.

The Admiral almost never gets sick regardless of what the boat is doing. I don't recall ever getting sick when the boat was well over in particular. I do remember getting sick when the motion of the boat was rising and falling or yawing from side to side or doing all of the above at the same time. This could happen in a stiff breeze or in no breeze at all. In no breeze you can't be heeling.

In fact, for me, I was always less ill when the boat was heeling as it seemed more stable (full cutaway forefoot heavier old school boat). I remember chucking most in calm conditions more than in any other. Of course, there are times in high winds and you are going to weather for some navigational reason or another, that the boat is heeled well over and I am sicker than a dog. In those cases, it was always the shape and timing and confusion of the waves that caused it.

I wonder if the association with your family and heeling is really something else besides directly from the heeling. We became more and more reluctant to take out inexperienced family and friends on the boat, which we never did in rough conditions, since they would often become paralyzed by fear of the boat rolling over with the slightest heel.

I have also noticed a bit of a correlation to seasickness and the "modern" family as they will tend to keep their eyes on and head into the little handheld devices that they are addicted to. You are much, much more likely to get seasick when doing that.

We put a fair amount of sea miles on the boat and experienced a lot of different conditions. Most of the time I wasn't sick. But when I was I hated life. So if you family is always sick you will not have a happy family. Best wishes for that.

(p.s. I have never been on a cat underway but I suspect those that are susceptible to getting sick on a monohull will also have problems on a cat. Different motion but still a lot of motion that can confuse our inner ears.)
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:58   #104

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Why not get at least the kids distracted by involvement? Turn it into a game.

Instead of avoiding heel, make it a goal! See how far over they can trim the boat. Try to get water running down the deck. Have them sit on the upwind side, or (somebody is going to cry about this) have them hang legs over the lee side and drag feet through the water.

Flat is fast. Flat is boring. Beating through big waves with the headsail being washed and spray dousing the cockpit is fun. Make it fun.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:16   #105

Boat: Corsair F-27f

Try a big Catamaran 45’ plus. My wife got to the point she would not go on a monohull, we tried a Catamaran and sailed for 20 years together. ( we rent in the Caribbean usually for 3 to 4 weeks a year and lake sail at home) Far less heeling, flat at anchor, lots more room , and often faster. Just try one. I get seasick, my wife does not. My cure is ginger, it works for me. Ginger candy, ginger snaps, ginger capsules they all work. Nibble on it all day. I dislike the patches and drugs they make me mentally distant and detached from reality. Sailing should connect you with reality. Good luck.
Saskatchewan is offline   Reply With Quote