Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 14:52   #91

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: Give me Encouragement to Sail from Washington to SF

[QUOTE=northoceanbeach;

But I think you will be surprised. I think by sometime in September I will have posted a photo of me going under the Golden Gate Bridge.[/QUOTE]

The last person to write something similar was Rebel Heart. It was something along the lines of a tropical email from the Marquesas.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 14:54   #92

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Previous post lost the quote from NoB about a photo of himself sailing into SF. To put it into context.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 15:19   #93

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

From Friday Harbor it's only about 15 miles across to clear into Canada, leave your hand guns at home, then head out the Straits of JDF. If weather craps out on the way to Tofino, stop in Sooke or if you can turn the corner around Cape Beale try Bamfield. There are a number of smaill islands to hide behind in Barclay Sound with sandy bottom, good holding and lots of clams.
Some one with more recent info could give you the name of the island off Tofino with the hot springs on it... I think there might be a marine park there now but we used to leave the barge in Tofino in the 60's. We would take the towboat out and drop the hook off the hot springs that had 3 pools. Top one very hot, second one down was comfortable and third one had sea water lapping in and cooled it off. We took soap off the boat for a bath in those days and swam to the hot springs as no showers on work boats. Most memorable trip was meeting up with some native girls in town who came with us and we spent a couple of days cavorting around out there, doing laundry and scrubbing each others backs (and sometimes fronts!). Often wonder where life took the rest of the crew and the girls... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 15:57   #94

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Give me Encouragement to Sail from Washington to SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
... We took soap off the boat for a bath in those days and swam to the hot springs as no showers on work boats. Most memorable trip was meeting up with some native girls in town who came with us and we spent a couple of days cavorting around out there, doing laundry and scrubbing each others backs (and sometimes fronts!)...
Reminds me of a passage I made on the ol' whaler Acushnet back in '41. We met some serious hotties on Nuku Hiva, and I started hanging with this somewhat older woman, Faiaoahe, a local wahine. Forum decorum keeps me from adding the daring details. I could write a book!

Thanks for the comment Newt. When you talk I listen. I was off base. I keep trying to change the world but those danged windmill blades knock me butt over teakettle everytime.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 17:31   #95

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I'm glad we are all friends again. I didn't know it would be a polarizing issue. You are all going to just have to trust me when I tel you I am not one of those fly by night posters, that writes a "how can I circumnavigate in my tub on $1000" threads, never to be heard from again. I am listening to everything everyone is saying on both sides.

There is a decent amount of time between now and August and alot of sailing and learning to be done. If at that time I do not feel ready, then I won't do it. You'll just have to trust that my judgement is sound. It is. If I go I will, of course take it seriously.

I think what I need to do now is three things:
1. Practice outside Vancouver Island.
2. Shakedown the boat
3. Learn all I can about the trip south.

For what it's worth, and apparently not worth too much, I was able to buy a boat in washington last summer and get myself around the Salish Sea absolutely incident free. Before then, I had never even anchored. I had never held a chart or done any sea navigating. But I never dragged, I was never in danger, I never got lost. I knew my limits and didn't take unnecessary risks. That's how I do thinks. I plan, plan, plan, and learn and try to make good decisions.

I'm not trying to talk myself up here. I have a ton of weak points. It's just hard on the internet, and maybe with sailing in particular, where lives can be on the line, to know who is writing the post.

I was also reading a thread about a guy who is renting a boat and his companion got hurt. He was asking how to single hand. To me there is no othere way, so I think that will help me on this journey. I have hardly ever sailed with others, outside of a race crew. I have never considered double handing. I've had girlfriends sail with me, but neither of them knew how to do anything at all, so it was like singlehanding. I've just got to get the sleep thing down.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 18:15   #96

Nice post and thanks for updating us. While many of your earlier responses have actually created more issues than perhaps intended (navigating, charts, etc.), this one is very helpful in having us understanding your process. That's all good.

I've just got to get the sleep thing down.

First you put your head on the pillow...

You might try some very good "Singlehanded Sailing" books, and ones that come to mind are Frank Mulville's (old but trusted and true) and Richard Henderson (newer 2nd edition far superior to the first one).

Sleeping when singlehanded is not like Sleepless in Seattle.

This is nothing new, as you can imagine. Please continue your research, as you said you will, and use Google on sleep stuff, on this, any other boating forums, and the web. I am sure there are tons of blogs by singlehanded skippers.

First thing I did was buy a kitchen timer with a LOUD alarm.

You can also nap when reading...

Have a great couple of next months, sounds like a good plan to me.

You might be interested in my friend's trip from Vancouver, BC to Mexico a few years ago, what worked and didn't, but with a family crew. His blog, link inside this link, may still be there, I don't know, haven't checked in a while.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 18:16   #97

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

OK, at present we are moored in Newport. We left Astoria yesterday morning at 0600 and went into Garibaldi about 1500, then out of there at 0600 to Newport arriving at 1500. Each leg is about 55 miles (approx.) we will stay here for a while because we want to hang around and do some family stuff before moving further south.
If you're out early and in before the wind gets roaring you'll be ok. We had some 8-10' following seas from the NNW and light winds on the tail all the way. I tried to sail some when the wind clocked around enough to be useful, but mostly frustrated by the fishtailing with every other wave. The swells aren't uniform and the wind wasn't strong enough to keep the sails up, collapse-fill-bang-collapse.....too much work for me and way too much stress on the rig.
By the time we ducked in to both harbors the wind was up around 20 and headed for 30+. I don't know about you but sailing dead down wind in 30+ AND 10' confused seas on the a-- is not my idea of fun and would wear out a single hander in a hurry. I've sailed this coast a few times and can tell you my ego or bragging rights aren't worth jeopardizing my crew or my boat.
Get to know your boat, outfit it as best you can afford, study the Coast Pilot and any other information you can find. Always err on the side of caution and pick your weather windows carefully. I don't think you're out here to set records and you'll find that whoever you talk to along the way in the sailing community will be supportive. Don't put too much credence in the advice of the hairy knuckled chest beaters, they aren't going with you!
Oh, and, smile when you take that selfie going under the Golden Gate.
mikeguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 18:32   #98

I'm too much of a photo snob to take selfies. How dare you!

Seriously, this does bring up one more point worth considering. My boat has an outboard. That's how these boats were designed. There is a big weird lazerette at the back of the cockpit with a lid that has a hole for the outboard tiller to stick out of. There has been some talk that when I go, I would be best off removing the outboard and, not permanently, but really sealing that lazerette.

I'm not sure how good the motor would be in big seas. I don't think much. Better than my last boat, where like most, the outboard is mounted on the stern and easily cavitation, but nowhere near as good as an inboard, where the prop is buried under the boat.
Old 06-06-2014, 19:11   #99

Oh! I will stop beating the horse about how prudent I am, but if it makes anyone feel any better about me, as I was looking up Singlehanded WA to SF I found my own post from last year. I, of course, decided that was not the boat or the time to do it, but at least my goals haven't changed. If you can decipher my horrible spelling.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-104553.html
Old 06-06-2014, 20:14   #100

Hope you've got a better "handle" on the distances between ports by now.

Please notice the emoticon.

You might be interested in this:

Home Page BrochuresÂ* Contribute Cool stuff Database FAQ Fleets For saleÂ* GalleryÂ*Â* History JOIN Links Mailing List Manuals Message

Not much has changed since this was written 15 years or so ago, at least for the one you most likely have on your boat. Some newer wheel pilots and below deck units have much more sophisticated controls, but rarely, if ever, on tiller pilots.

I gave you the Benson link in that old post, and also did so in this one, when you asked for distances between ports. Keep up with your homework.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 20:50   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Some one with more recent info could give you the name of the island off Tofino with the hot springs on it... I think there might be a marine park there now but we used to leave the barge in Tofino in the 60's. We would take the towboat out and drop the hook off the hot springs that had 3 pools. Top one very hot, second one down was comfortable and third one had sea water lapping in and cooled it off. We took soap off the boat for a bath in those days and swam to the hot springs as no showers on work boats. Most memorable trip was meeting up with some native girls in town who came with us and we spent a couple of days cavorting around out there, doing laundry and scrubbing each others backs (and sometimes fronts!). Often wonder where life took the rest of the crew and the girls... Phil
Hot Springs Cove is actually on Vancouver Island. It s located in Maquinna Provincial Park. The only access is boat or floatplane.

Today the use of soap is frowned upon.

The boardwalk to the springs has boards that are engraved with the names of the some of the boats that have visited.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 21:01   #102

Boat: Catalina 30

"1. Practice outside Vancouver Island.
2. Shakedown the boat
3. Learn all I can about the trip south."

4. Find crew.

"I've had girlfriends sail with me, but neither of them knew how to do anything at all, so it was like singlehanding."

No, it wasn't. But you don't seem to recognize that fact.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 21:36   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
"1. Practice outside Vancouver Island.
2. Shakedown the boat
3. Learn all I can about the trip south."

4. Find crew.

"I've had girlfriends sail with me, but neither of them knew how to do anything at all, so it was like singlehanding."

No, it wasn't. But you don't seem to recognize that fact.
When she would not even hold the tiller so I could use the "bathroom" and I lashed it in place and she started shrieking in terror and then hid in the cockpit, spent the rest of the trip refusing to leave Friday Harbor. Trust me. It wasn't a lot of help.
Old 06-06-2014, 21:51   #104

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks Jackdale... it has been years since I was in that area... don't recall a boardwalk... we just anchored off the rocks in about 70-100 feet and swam to the rock shore which was about a 50 foot swim. My memory is a little shady after 50+years... I'd recalled it was an island. I'm not surprised that soap is banned now... this was long before folks except the natives even knew it there! Just a few of us knew of the springs in those days... probably a tourist trap now. Thanks for the update... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 22:00   #105

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

northoceanbeach:

Many of us who are offering you advice have much bigger boats, with higher average speeds. One of the things that will help you is to keep track of yours time and distance sailed Eventually, you'll work out an average that is reliable for the boat. Then, you can start to see how far in hours for your boat the distances are harbors are.

Intresting issue you introduce about how to protect your o/b. I'm hoping it's a long shaft? Suggest you work some time and distance for the o/b, in varied conditions, for fuel planning.

When you go out where it's rough, practice heaving to. You may have to think about changing the sheet leads to get the boat to really stop. There are CF threads about this. It is one way to stop the boat and get some rest.

Ann

Tags
enc, men, sail, washing, Washington, washington