Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2021, 06:08   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Getting a mast on a boat WITHOUT a real crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
If you can't find a telehandler to rent, then maybe the bow to shore, a dolly, and a couple guys.

1. Dolly under the balance point, and walk one end on the boat.
2. Move the dolly further inshore, and one guy lift/pull the mast further on the boat, while the other guy pushes and controls the dolly.
3. Dolly on the very end, and two guys on the boat end, and lift/pull the mast as far as you can get, unless you can put a dolly on the deck, then stick it under the balance point and lift/pull it to wherever you want it.

We moved our hull halves this way, just my dad and I. Get a dolly with large, inflatable tires, for work on grass, or put plywood under it.

If I can help, I'll be in Fl by mid November.

Cheers.
Paul.

PS. I kinda pictured the deck being nearly level with the shore, I have no idea if that's the case.

If not, side of hull to shore, dolly mast parallel to boat, dolly on balance point, pivot mast so one end over deck, then dolly on deck and pivot other end to deck. You'll be lifting half of mast weight, so two or three guys would be needed.
Well, it is sitting on a little trailer already so this could be an option.

Good thinking. I moved my hulls around with engine hoists and come alongside to roll them.

The deck is 6-8 feet above the shore. Just imagine pushing your boat up alongside an undeveloped field in a pond. That’s basically the situation. Except the field is mowed.

Thanks for the thought of lending a hand I’ll be in Florida around the same time.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 06:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Most of the boom type lifts I've seen could handle grass without issue. The one they use at our marina looks like this (and basically drives around like a car with 4 wheel steering). The boom both lifts and extends.
Wow!! That thing is a beast for a forklift! Like a loader with forks.
Old 20-10-2021, 06:15   #18

Boat: Sabre 34II

How about a 2x6 slab from each bow to the shore, secured properly at both ends, place the mast on it at the shore and pull it up evenly on both sides - you’ll need 4-5 guys but minimal equipment.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 06:24   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Wow!! That thing is a beast for a forklift! Like a loader with forks.

Yeah, it's pretty much a truck with an extendable lift boom and forks (or bucket and other attachments as desired). Might be possible to rent one for a few hours if a lower tech solution can't be found.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 06:36   #20

Call a local crane company, give them the specifications of the job(weight to be lifted, reach required and height required). I think you will be surprised at how reasonable the price will be. In my area the price would be less than $500.00, closer to $350. If you rent something less suitable and rig something up to make it work, you might save a couple of hundred but will spend lots more time doing it, and the crane will be much quicker and SAFER. I have rented lots of cranes and boom trucks(smaller cranes) for work over the years, the crane companies are great to work with to make sure all goes safe and smooth-they don't want any accidents! I always liked jobs requiring a crane, customers assume the price for a crane was really high, but I seldom spent more than 500 on a crane to lift HVAC units and compressors to rooftops. Might be worth a phone call. Stay safe!!
Twedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 07:04   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post

If not, side of hull to shore, dolly mast parallel to boat, dolly on balance point, pivot mast so one end over deck, then dolly on deck and pivot other end to deck. You'll be lifting half of mast weight, so two or three guys would be needed.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. I've moved thousand+ pound logs around and loaded them onto my sawmill this way. You can hang a weight on the end you're not lifting to move the balance point from center towards the advantageous end for a longer "reach".

Alternatively, lay two beams about 10-15ft between shore and the boat and set the mast across them about centered. You can then "walk" the mast sideways easily by lifting and swinging alternating ends. You can even go uphill fairly steeply if you use wedges or blocks (clamped or screwed to the beam) to keep the mast from sliding back down.. that goes a LOT faster with a couple helpers but can be done solo with some rigging and patience (and a lot of running back and forth)
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 08:01   #22

When a mate was ready to fit the mast to his new boat, he picked the mast up at the ferry wharf, & had it sitting from bow rail to stern rail. He motored around to me, on my mooring & tied along side.

We used my main halliard to pick up the mast, a twin spreader rig, with all shrouds attached, at the upper spreader & hoist it vertical, & high enough to clear his railings, then lowered it onto the mast step. It was easy enough to move the base to the step.

It took a quarter hour to attach the shrouds to the chain plates on my side, then we used his halyards on the other side to stand the mast vertical, & attach those shrouds. An hour & a half from start to finish, & it cost not one cent.

It probably wouldn't work with a keel stepped mast, but is no problem with a deck stepped mast.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:04   #23

The ones that didn’t read what I’m trying to do in the first post are actually getting me fired up to step it without a crane too, just to say i did it! Ha ha ha
Old 20-10-2021, 09:09   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
How about a 2x6 slab from each bow to the shore, secured properly at both ends, place the mast on it at the shore and pull it up evenly on both sides - you’ll need 4-5 guys but minimal equipment.
Ive moved masts around the yard like this, so its feasible.

@Chotu, 500lbs? Thats a heavy mast for small boats. How long is it?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:13   #25

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5

Look up rental costs for a gradeall- extension type forklift, various load capacities and used for outside environments. Loading specs readily available tp determine reaching capacities.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ive moved masts around the yard like this, so its feasible.

@Chotu, 500lbs? Thats a heavy mast for small boats. How long is it?
I forget how long it is off the top of my head. I need to add a 6ft extension to get it to the right size. I think it’s 54 feet? Or 64 feet. I’m forgetting.

It’s also a catamaran mast so it’s more stout than a monohull mast on account of no heeling.
Old 20-10-2021, 09:40   #27

I have raised a heavy mast between two sailboats each using their Spinnaker halyards.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:53   #28

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Do you have a friend?

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:55   #29

Is it critical that you unstep the mast at your marina, rather than another marina (hopefully nearby) with a travelift with mast gin pole.
You will be moving the boat by truck, correct?
gpridgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 10:03   #30

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpridgen View Post
Is it critical that you unstep the mast at your marina, rather than another marina (hopefully nearby) with a travelift with mast gin pole.
You will be moving the boat by truck, correct?
His mast isn't stepped currently. He's just looking to transfer it from land to on the boat to transport both in one shot.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mast