Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2021, 10:22   #31

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'
Re: Getting a mast on a boat WITHOUT a real crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I just happened to be anchored in Oriental Harbor when option number 1 was performed. It was quite a show and went off very well. They were finished before the cops arrived.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 20-10-2021, 11:00   #32

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I saw a guy lift his mast off his deck from a bridge. It was a county gravel road with very little traffic. Line to mast and thru his bow roller to a truck winch bolted in his anchor locker with a block at the bridge. Seemed it worked ok.

We would routinely put up our mast on a smaller Catalina using the boom as a pivot point and winch it up. Though, I couldn't imagine cranking up our 50' mast.

Cranes have a critical angle due to weight it is lifting. The more vertical, the greater the lift weight. I have used a Skyjack many times. They will have better lifting than a boom truck IMO. I have seen guys put 20 sheets of sheetrock through a window of a house. they are much heavier than your mast. Have a good operator running the SKyjack. Rent for $250 per day, in my memory. May have a delivery fee, They come by tractor trailer.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 11:05   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpridgen View Post
Is it critical that you unstep the mast at your marina, rather than another marina (hopefully nearby) with a travelift with mast gin pole.
You will be moving the boat by truck, correct?
Holy cow. LOL.

Nothing about this post even remotely resembles the situation.

1) the mast is on the ground
2) not stepping the mast, just putting it on deck as described in the first post
3) I’m moving the boat and mast by water
4) my boat blocks 3 highway lanes in width. It can’t be moved by truck.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 11:48   #34

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

There are lots of trucks around here,mostly used to deliver construction materials, with "stingers" aboard: cranes that can extend out fifty feet or more and deliver a load of drywall four stories up.

My big concern would be, if it had to prk on grass, that it could get a firm enough footing for the outriggers.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 12:33   #35
cruiser

Chotu,

This may have already been considered but I recall following your thread regarding purchasing and transporting the mast via your custom made trailer/truck. Are you able to move the boat via water then return and tow the mast to your new location using the same system you used when you purchased it?

I am sure you have thought of this and perhaps the distance is too great for such a plan to be feasible.

If not, then a Gradall style articulating forklift will certainly handle the weight and have the needed extension. We used to use the large ones to move full bunks of plywood and other lumber that I am sure weighed much more than your estimated mast weight and we routinely extend these heavy loads 30-40 feet out via the extension boom. Heck, we even once picked up a full size car with one when it had been abandoned on our worksite in the middle of the night.

Just trying to throw out random ideas hoping something might stick.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E0627FA-DE25-41E5-BA70-61AC0D219AFB.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	247116  
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 14:01   #36

Yes, it’s still on the very same trailer. It’s not easy driving get thing. Easier to move it by boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Chotu,

This may have already been considered but I recall following your thread regarding purchasing and transporting the mast via your custom made trailer/truck. Are you able to move the boat via water then return and tow the mast to your new location using the same system you used when you purchased it?

I am sure you have thought of this and perhaps the distance is too great for such a plan to be feasible.

If not, then a Gradall style articulating forklift will certainly handle the weight and have the needed extension. We used to use the large ones to move full bunks of plywood and other lumber that I am sure weighed much more than your estimated mast weight and we routinely extend these heavy loads 30-40 feet out via the extension boom. Heck, we even once picked up a full size car with one when it had been abandoned on our worksite in the middle of the night.

Just trying to throw out random ideas hoping something might stick.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Old 20-10-2021, 14:15   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

A buddy of mine (Corbin 39) pulled up to the bridge at Oswego NY. and used a block and tackle from the bridge to haul his mast and lay it on the deck.
He is an extraordinarily determined and inventive character.
Old 20-10-2021, 14:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A buddy of mine (Corbin 39) pulled up to the bridge at Oswego NY. and used a block and tackle from the bridge to haul his mast and lay it on the deck.
He is an extraordinarily determined and inventive character.

Ha! I know this bridge. I had the marina do it there and re-stepped at Castleton-on Hudson with a manual crane on the other side.

But my mast is on the ground. In the grass. In a field I can cozy up to with the boat.
Old 20-10-2021, 14:37   #39

Boat: Grampian 26

I run a small electric utility in Nova Scotia. Been a keel boat sailor for 30+ years. Don't know everything. Tree trucks are not designed to lift heavy weights, nor are scissor lifts and manhandlers. Some utility bucket trucks can, one of ours can put a 2000# transformer most anyplace you want it.

But here we can rent a straight boom truck with an experienced operator for $150-200 CDN an hour. Can't imagine that's not possible in Florida.

Use the side approach {operator can see what he/she is doing}, pick up the mast at two points equadistant from balance point with a spreader bar, use tag lines both ends to control swing. Could use two lines each end as long as nobody on the boat walks off. No half-hitches around the wrist, please.

Hope this helps, bon chance.

Don Regan
donregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 15:31   #40

Hire a lull and be done with it, stop trying to reinvent the wheel, this is not rocket surgery.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 15:42   #41

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
Hire a lull and be done with it, stop trying to reinvent the wheel, this is not rocket surgery.
Unhelpful fellow, aren't you?
Old 20-10-2021, 15:47   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Unhelpful fellow, aren't you?
My response is the correct one. Atleast i know what a lull is.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 16:25   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb_Grey View Post
My response is the correct one. Atleast i know what a lull is.
Are you 10?

In any case, you probably are right, but this is exactly why I asked. I asked WHAT NON-CRANE THING CAN I USE TO PUT THE MAST ON THE DECK?

How is asking reinventing? What’s your beef anyway?
Old 20-10-2021, 16:31   #44

Chotu:

In every urban area of any size there will be what we Canadians call a "cartage company". They will have a flatbed truck with a hydraulic crane on it. The crane - and therefore the whole truck - is called a "HIAB" (Swedish for "Hydraulic Industries, Inc.").

Scorpius touched on it above. As it happens, I paid a lot of my living expenses and tuition fees when I was at university owning and operating one of those. I've done the number with pallets of drywall going up four stories lotsa times. Nothing to it really.

If I still had that machine and could get next to you boat, as you say is possible, I'd be off the road and set up, have your mast aboard your boat - flat on deck or stepped - and be outta there again in about half an hour.

Here is a pic of the sort of thing you need. Don't muck about with anything else. Just hire one of these with a competent operator from a local cartage company No fuss, no muss, no bother - and the liability is the cartage company's :-).

TrentePieds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HIAB.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	247131  
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 17:09   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Chotu:

In every urban area of any size there will be what we Canadians call a "cartage company". They will have a flatbed truck with a hydraulic crane on it. The crane - and therefore the whole truck - is called a "HIAB" (Swedish for "Hydraulic Industries, Inc.").

Scorpius touched on it above. As it happens, I paid a lot of my living expenses and tuition fees when I was at university owning and operating one of those. I've done the number with pallets of drywall going up four stories lotsa times. Nothing to it really.

If I still had that machine and could get next to you boat, as you say is possible, I'd be off the road and set up, have your mast aboard your boat - flat on deck or stepped - and be outta there again in about half an hour.

Here is a pic of the sort of thing you need. Don't muck about with anything else. Just hire one of these with a competent operator from a local cartage company No fuss, no muss, no bother - and the liability is the cartage company's :-).

TrentePieds

Ok cool!!

I had always used marina cranes throughout my life and once, a manual crane I ran.

I think I have some good information here and shouldn’t have any real issues.

The biggest issue I have is the need to watch for a holes making wakes while I do this. It’s not uncommon for 60ft power boats to fly by in semi displacement mode. I’ll have to pull the boat back away from the shore of one does. Also, the machine operator will need to back off if this happens.

Tags
boat, mast