Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 18:00   #1171

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Forum Member's Boat and Daughter in Trouble off of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Pretty easy to mock people who "take a leap of faith" and then beg to be rescued by the government they so vigorously denigrated. Not much faith left when the SHTF for real, eh?
If it matters, they weren't rescued by the Government but by a fishing boat, then taken to Chile, where they borrowed $10k from the State Department to pay for the flight home. From the news report, their main concern was how they were going to pay back that debt.

So perhaps they aren't as worthy of being mocked as you think? Now that I think of it, I'm not who does deserve to be mocked who set out to sea following a dream, even if the dream makes no sense to others.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:01   #1172
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Another read the whole piece. He has an opinion we all can get a bit carried away let me quote what he said in ine post "used to judge everyone, then I stopped judging anyone, now I'm sort of in the middle. If you're happy and safe on the water, you're doing something right, even if I would do things differently. So I'm definitely over sitting around the docks telling people what they should do. There's a lot of boat styles and lifestyles that work, what works for me might not work for someone else and"
So he sees some issues. God fir bid I get judged on my every post or reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In fairness to Rebel Heart, he probably does not (should not) have a problem with those critiquing the situation he himself found himself due to the fact he has mocked others in the past for getting into situations and being rescued.
I don't beleive in the mantra 'what comes round goes round' at all - but what I do believe is that when you point the finger at someone, there is four pointing back at you.
Personally I have no problem at all in that he called for help and that he and his family are now safe. But I do have a problem with other posters who jump on others that have a differing opinion to the "group hugz".
Old 10-04-2014, 18:01   #1173
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Eric also bashed the crew of the Zenamaran:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-106946.html

Crew member got sick...
Lost steering...
Tried to get back to Mexico...
Called for help...
Picked up by a cargo ship.

No kid, and not the US military, but the story is close.

Then the arrogant comment:

I'm glad that they're all OK, and I'm sorry that they lost their home, but a hero's welcome?

Maybe there's a lesson in humility somewhere.

Looks like his primary beef with that guy was abondoning his vessel and leaving it adrift as a hazard. We certainly can't accuse Eric of hypocrisy in that regard.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:02   #1174
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

In this constant examination and reexamination of Eric's every qualification I have to speak up. Everyone has to start somewhere. There has to be the first passage for everyone. That he had things go wrong with his boat and his baby is not necessarily his fault. No I really don't have too much to say about Eric and his family. I still dont know the facts by someone who took the voyage. But I do support them leaving for the first time in an ocean crossing. Anyone should have the opportunity to grow, to do something new. Those that say differently....well...they do keep the thread moving along.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:05   #1175

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Looks like his primary beef with that guy was abondoning his vessel and leaving it adrift as a hazard. We certainly can't accuse Eric of hypocrisy in that regard.
As far as we know, Eric didn't have a choice. The Navy did the job, whereas a cargo ship didn't.

We heard that Eric wanted to keep the RH floating. Atoll was going to try to rescue it. (Good man! )
Old 10-04-2014, 18:09   #1176
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW399 View Post
In fairness to Rebel Heart, he probably does not (should not) have a problem with those critiquing the situation he himself found himself due to the fact he has mocked others in the past for getting into situations and being rescued.
I don't beleive in the mantra 'what comes round goes round' at all - but what I do believe is that when you point the finger at someone, there is four pointing back at you.
Personally I have no problem at all in that he called for help and that he and his family are now safe. But I do have a problem with other posters who jump on others that have a differing opinion to the "group hugz".

As has been said by others many times, this thread is all about "group hugz". That's what's appropriate in the immediate aftermath of tragedy. Perhaps it is now time to open that other thread? I bet Eric will do so himself soon. I have no illusions that he made no mistakes myself, just don't think this is the place to discuss them.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:14   #1177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
In this constant examination and reexamination of Eric's every qualification I have to speak up. Everyone has to start somewhere. There has to be the first passage for everyone. That he had things go wrong with his boat and his baby is not necessarily his fault. No I really don't have too much to say about Eric and his family. I still dont know the facts by someone who took the voyage. But I do support them leaving for the first time in an ocean crossing. Anyone should have the opportunity to grow, to do something new. Those that say differently....well...they do keep the thread moving along.
me too!

here is one for the soccer mums my wife and i sailed from bundaberg to darwin,2000 miles when my daughter was just 5 weeks old!,megan was 3 1/2 months when we arrived in darwin! howzat for cruelty to children

mother spent most of the time either breast feeding or feeling sick,baby slept most of the way!,the trip was much more tough on the first time mum than the baby!,but ya gotta start somewhere
Old 10-04-2014, 18:15   #1178

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
From the rescuers point of view:

"The parents of one-year-old Lyra Kaufman did everything right once they realized the seriousness of the situation, the official said"

Rescuers Got to Sick Baby "Just in Time": Commander | NBC 7 San Diego

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Finally, objective & factual, non-inflammatory reporting. Tip of the hat to the 129 & NBC affiliate.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:18   #1179

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
me too!

here is one for the soccer mums my wife and i sailed from bundaberg to darwin,2000 miles when my daughter was just 5 weeks old!,megan was 3 1/2 months when we arrived in darwin! howzat for cruelty to children

mother spent most of the time either breast feeding or feeling sick,baby slept most of the way!,the trip was much more tough on the first time mum than the baby!,but ya gotta start somewhere
Breasts and sailing . . .
Now we're talking!
Old 10-04-2014, 18:19   #1180

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you watch the National Guard video, you can watch/hear one of the officers stating that Eric said he would scuttle the Rebel Heart as they all left, after everyone was off.

It's still hearsay, though, till we hear more from those who were there.

Newt's statement about the first ocean passage one makes seems very real to me. I still remember bits of mine, and I went with only a few hours racing on the ocean. It was a true learning experience. You gotta start somewhere.

Ann
Old 10-04-2014, 18:20   #1181

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I've been on here both longer than you and have more posts and I think Charlie is making a very good point. Does that make me a troll as well?
You should be comparing your # of posts and time as a member with Charlie. That may clarify it for you.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:22   #1182
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
If you watch the National Guard video, you can watch/hear one of the officers stating that Eric said he would scuttle the Rebel Heart as they all left, after everyone was off.

It's still hearsay, though, till we hear more from those who were there.

Newt's statement about the first ocean passage one makes seems very real to me. I still remember bits of mine, and I went with only a few hours racing on the ocean. It was a true learning experience. You gotta start somewhere.

Ann

Sure you do, whether that's an 3000 ocean mile voyage with small kids is another debate entirely and one that will be interesting to hear from eric. Until then this thread has a lot of noise in it.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2014, 18:43   #1183

If only the man himself were here to tell us how it all went down.

As he has stated he felt he needed time for the frenzy to blow over before he would share the specifics. Doesn't mean he is not reading the thread now and wouldn't have responses to some comments that have been.

I think that would be hard to sit on the sidelines like that, especially when it's your life story being dissected.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:44   #1184

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
If only the man himself were here to tell us how it all went down.

As he has stated he felt he needed time for the frenzy to blow over before he would get specific. Doesn't mean he is not reading the thread now and wouldn't have responses to some comments that have been.

I think that would be hard to sit on the sidelines like that, especially when it's your life story being dissected.
Hard but necessary.
Old 10-04-2014, 18:54   #1185

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
only if i could have borrowed boatguys inflatable armchair

but minarete,kenomac,wotname,mantus anchors,were all there making sure i had a parachute

not forgettin toby on oflo,that could have provided the transport
For future reference, Mantus anchors make terrible parachutes.
Glad Eric and family made it back safely. Nothing else really matters.
Welcome back Rebel Heart.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico