Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 08:14   #646
cruiser

Re: Forum Member's boat and daughter in trouble off of Mexico

Well - this is going to sting a bit in hindsight:

Arrested for bad seamanship - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
How long until someone here defends him with an argument such as:

Quote:
Hey guys, stop attacking him! He's out there doing it!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:16   #647

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Waking up this morning and finding out that s/v Rebel Heart's crew was safe and sound was great news...then seconds later understanding s/v Rebel Heart was scuttled was heart wrenching.

Yes, the most important priority - their health and lives - have been protected.

They have also suffered a great loss. Vessels become more than just 'things' when they are your home and they carry you safely over great depths of water. They harbor dreams and futures and love. It cannot be minimized the loss they are feeling and the deep sadness I imagine they feel in the depths of their hearts and souls right now at having to have made the decision.

The Ocean and navigating on Her has to be one of the most dynamic environments upon which I have ever lived. It demands of us so much mentally and physically...affects us at such deep levels...and can at any moment demand us to make difficult choices.

It can elicit the most primitive survival instincts deep with in us. All the while, a kaleidoscope of water, boat, and human psychology...

What I am trying to express here is that this is not an easily quantifiable situation...we do not know all the variables involved...and even when we are informed by Charlotte and Eric, if we are...we still were not them out there at that very time making the best decisions based on ever changing variables...

I think so often on this forum we want so desperately to learn, and analyze and somehow try to have a possible edge when we get out there in the Ocean - and while other's trials and experiences can sometimes teach us...every situation is different, weather conditions always change, and never will it be exactly the same scenario...ever...and that is part of why many of us go out there...because we sail our own sail...always...it is just the nature of the exercise.

Charlotte, Eric, and the Girls...I am glad you are all doing well, that Lyra is improving...and that you made the decision best for you all at the time...and I understand none of the process was simple...I bleed for you that you lost your s/v Rebel Heart and that you had to make that decision. I am proud of you for remaining one Crew, strong in your Solidarity. Her Spirit will live on in all of your hearts and in the Soul of the Ocean...Thank you for being Brave and Loving Parents...and teaching the World that Life is not meant to be lived from a couch...
My sentiments exactly, but said much better!

Eric & Charlotte, I don't know you but my heart bleeds for you. Hold strong; hold each other.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:17   #648
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Looks like MarkJ called it correctly. Eric's passing the ship's wheel over to the Navy RIB. It kinda chokes me up to see that.

(click on the image to enlarge it)

It really is a moving image and is very telling. Amazing the power old traditions have.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 07-04-2014, 08:18   #649
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Vessels become more than just 'things' when they are your home and they carry you safely over great depths of water. They harbor dreams and futures and love. It cannot be minimized the loss they are feeling and the deep sadness I imagine they feel in the depths of their hearts and souls right now at having to have made the decision
While that may be true, compared to your loved ones, they are but a floating piece of plastic. Family first, boats second.

dave
Old 07-04-2014, 08:18   #650

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
That doesn't look like Eric or his child.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:23   #651

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Consider Rebel Heart's situation:

Please give these guys a break. They are suffering. Please wait for them to tell us what they want.

Ann

Well said.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:24   #652

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

As a fellow sailor and soon to be cruiser, I feel the need to express to the members of this forum kudos for keeping comments mostly positive regarding Rebel Heart.

I too have followed the blog for a couple of years and do not hold it against anyone who wishes to follow their dreams. I will never condemn anyone for a chosen lifestyle. Unfortunately the life style we, and others, have chosen comes into question when something of this magnitude happens. The decision to sail RTW with young children aboard has now become a fiercely debated topic. Now doubt this will continue for some time.

I wish to express my deepest gratitude to all the members of the rescue teams. It makes me proud to be an American tax payer when I witness men jumping out of a plane into the ocean to go, without question or regard of their own safety, to the aid of a young child.

As fellow sailors we are all obligated to help a vessel in distress. I would never question having to go to the aid of another vessel. I am certain Eric and Charlotte would have sailed miles to assist another sailor. Unfortunately, it was them needing the support. I am gratified they had the necessary equipment aboard to communicate their dire needs.

When an event like this happens and everybody comes out unscathed, all the people involved did everything right.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:49   #653
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well - this is going to sting a bit in hindsight:

Arrested for bad seamanship - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
How dare you point out the hypocrisy that permeates this site.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56   #654

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
That doesn't look like Eric or his child.
Does too. On the other hand could be Tom Hanks.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:08   #655
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Heh-heh. Don't worry, it permeates all of them. That's what fun about them.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:08   #656
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
There is a major difference between being rescued once and 10 or 15 times. Read the OP on what he is referring to.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:14   #657
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Consider Rebel Heart's situation:

He and Charlotte have lost their home, and have to at the least postpone their dream. Thanks be that Lyra is doing well. We hope for continued improvement. ....................................

.....................And as far as donations go, no one here has mentioned that perhaps they want to get their finances together on their own. I don't know. But if you consider how difficult it is to see your dreams sunk, do you not think Eric might want to handle this all himself without *help* from a public forum?

Please give these guys a break. They are suffering. Please wait for them to tell us what they want.

Ann
+1

And +1 for Cruisers Forum, as always!

Lots of good opinions on CF. One has to love the positive energy, but maybe sometimes that energy borders a tiny bit on the defensive when comments are construed as being slightly negative.

It is great that CF polices itself so as to keep the crack pots to a minimum but a love fest of agreement is of little value. I for one appreciate posts that respectfully challenge the prevailing sentiments and trends.

I think posting an opinion on the decision to scuttle the boat is potentially less intrusive than donating money to someone who has not directly requested it. The latter opinion, although very well intentioned and admirable, may not be welcome, whereas an opinion can be easily ignored.

They may indeed request financial help but I will probably wait until things settle before I consider a donation.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:15   #658

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsigler View Post
I more or less agree, but like it or not they're coming home to a lot of attention, some of it negative.

I donated just to show them that they are not alone and have supporters.
Good one mate. From a different angle, there are a lot of people got 3 days free entertainment from this drama. Eric and Charlotte EARNED the royalties but only a few will pay them for the story.
(At the other end of the scale; millions pay $10 /week to keep trash magazines in print!!!!)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:19   #659

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I have followed Rebel Heart for about a year now and have always where impressed of a younger couple that have two kids where still making the dream work. Shannon and I being a younger couple always get lit up to make sure we don't have a children before we leave or we would shatter our chances of ever going. We don't plan on having children anytime soon but always gave them kudos for going against what everyone thought was a deal breaker for cruising a small boat and going for it anyways. I Learned last night via facebook that the boat was scuttled and my heart sank. I Remember reading on how much work he had put into the HC36 and as a fellow Hans Christian owner the Idea of knowing someone was going to internationally sink my home and dream boat rocked my soul. Just because we have a Hans doesn't mean we are rolling in the green. First off, they are expensive boats to buy and maintain. The HC34-36 are the cheapest of the Hans Christians but still have just as much teak and from what I have been told can be more expensive in the long run due to poor craftsmanship. We subtract the costed in our monthly budget towards other things we might purchase. The cost so far hasn't been too exponential and has been completely worth owning the HC. When Shannon and I cruise we are Frugal, we budget $800 m/o with no hull insurance or heath insurance. We Tried budgeting Hull insurance but our figures almost doubled. Luckily having no kinds a being young (24-26) if god forbid we lost Prism, starting for zero would be hard, but finically recoverable (Zero Debt thank god). We have other friends that cruise Tayana 37, HC38, west sail 32, BCC 30 all with cursing budgets under to well under $1000 m/o. Just because We have bowsprits doesn't mean we have deep pockets. I have learned if you keep up on the maintenance on these boats the cost of ownership is very similar to any boat of same size and year. Its when you let them go is where you get hit hard. Best luck to the crew of the formal sailing vessel Rebel Heart.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:22   #660

Boat: cal 2-25

I felt compelled to chime in and say I am very glad they are safe and my heart goes out to them all for the loss of their boat. My heart goes out to a person who puts so much of themselves into something (boat and dream) and it has to be sunk right there in front of them. But move on,,,...knowing you made the right choice and never look back in regret. Good luck to them as I am sure they will continue. And a great respect goes out to our navy and coast gaurd. Also this forum that has given so much to so many in so many ways. It's nice to see a community at work for the good of many and sometimes just a few.
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, member, Mexico, rescue, rum, mexico