Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 12:06   #61

Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

We all know it's not the Prada bag. It's the children.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:07   #62

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Oh yes, much easier to believe that climate-scientists are rolling in funding, and that the fossil-fuel industries aren't funding all the denial PR.

Why, just look at all the climate scientists and their expensive cars and their plush lobbying companies and their jewel-encrusted... science-tools. Look, there's a limo-full of climate scientists having lunch at Sardi's, at our expense no doubt. Hey, look! climate-scientists fighting over a Prada bag on Rodeo Drive. And all their Swiss science bank accounts.
It's certainly clear that you are in the dark about how science and funding works, something I've spent a 40 year career in.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:07   #63

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Not quite correct. Go to coldfusion on Wikipedia and read the fall-out and effect section. BTW, this section is watered down when compared to the press releases at the time.
Hmmm, you'll have to be more specific LS. I read the page and it says they did not publish prior to going to the media. That they tried to publish in Nature (a highly prestigious journal), and were rejected. It was accepted by the journal "Fusion Technology". I'm not aware of the caliber this journal. Perhaps it is big in the fusion world.

Regardless, there was a flurry of activity following the Pons & Fleischmann claim. All eventually led to failure, as the article you reference says. And that, BTW, is how science should work. Experimental claims are tested by reproducing the results. It all happened quite quickly (lightning speed for science) in the case of cold fusion.

There is a vast difference between this example, and the current climate change research, which is a text-book case of incremental development. This work has been going on for decades. You are correct there is a bias (bandwagon) against anti-climate change research ... kinda like there is a bias against measuring how flat the globe is, or how much the soul weighs .

I don't want to derail this thread any more than I have, but I do find this fascinating LS. If you'd like to carry on discussing it I suggest we move to private mail.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:10   #64

Talking Re: Effects of Global Warming ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hmmm, you'll have to be more specific LS. I read the page and it says they did not publish prior to going to the media. That they tried to publish in Nature (a highly prestigious journal), and were rejected. It was accepted by the journal "Fusion Technology". I'm not aware of the caliber this journal. Perhaps it is big in the fusion world.

Regardless, there was a flurry of activity following the Pons & Fleischmann claim. All eventually led to failure, as the article you reference says. And that, BTW, is how science should work. Experimental claims are tested by reproducing the results. It all happened quite quickly (lightning speed for science) in the case of cold fusion.

There is a vast difference between this example, and the current climate change research, which is a text-book case of incremental development. This work has been going on for decades. You are correct there is a bias (bandwagon) against anti-climate change research ... kinda like there is a bias against measuring how flat the globe is, or how much the soul weighs .

I don't want to derail this thread any more than I have, but I do find this fascinating LS. If you'd like to carry on discussing it I suggest we move to private mail.
We certainly don't want to be throwing beers at each other from across the lake.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:12   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
Just wondering what effects you are experiencing of global warming in your area.

On the East coast of Australia (NSW) we are having a strange summer for the second year in a row. Maybe the water is a bit warmer but the result seems to be cooler temperatures, more unsettled weather patterns and much more rain. Today we have just been forecast 40 days of rain ahead for the month of March. The last time that much rain was forecast, those who managed to get aboard a boat were the only ones to survive.

How widespread is this?
Yes, global warming is affecting everything. Even calanders. Now we apparently have months that last 40 days.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:15   #66

Quote:
It's certainly clear that you are in the dark about how science and funding works, something I've spent a 40 year career in.
So, you fake results to keep the funding rolling, do you?

You seem equally naive about corporate lobbying. I'll trust climate scientists over the oil/coal lobby, thanks.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:18   #67

Global Warming, Its all tosh !! It's all caused by the sun.. Some days are warmer, cooler, wetter, dryer, sunnier etc, all part of the natural weather cycle....
Old 26-02-2013, 12:22   #68

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yes, global warming is affecting everything. Even calanders. Now we apparently have months that last 40 days.
I posted same point earlier shows how much the OP's words were read......!!!!!
Old 26-02-2013, 12:27   #69

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Quote:

You seem equally naive about corporate lobbying. I'll trust climate scientists over the oil/coal lobby, thanks.
Common boys and girls, lets play nice. There's lots of room for comment and criticism without resorting to undignified messages. Otherwise you'll get avb3's nickers in a twist. He twisted my nickers once ... you really don't want that to happen .
Old 26-02-2013, 12:31   #70

Quote:
No, few scientist are purposely fraudulent about their research. However, there is significant pressure to be on the cutting edge and if one is not then the funding will go away. Consequently, I think "english" gets put on the ball. One wants to present the work in the best light for the sponsors (either for global warming or for big oil sponsors.) In fact, several of the above links in the thread specifically talk about this problem. With cold fusion there was a rush to the press over about 4 to 6 month time-frame.

There is also a phenomena that makes results self fulfilling...that is where if one looks for a result one tends to find it.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:35   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Perhaps the many that noticed understood the point the OP was trying to make and didn't feel it worth pointing out.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:41   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
With the BOM's unfailing accuracy, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they forecast 40 days of rain for March.

Wonder if it'll be 40 nights as well?

Good thing we live on a boat!
Old 26-02-2013, 12:42   #73

Boat: OEM, proportional

The effects of "AGW" are easily felt here in Teutonia:

Fuel is getting even more ridiculously expensive, but wrecks the motors as the ethanol additive proportion increases. Mind you, growing biofool is good, because it means less food, meaning people die which is population reduction and that's gotta be good for the planet. We used to pick volunteers the same way, when I was in the army, though we took slightly better care of them.

Our democratically elected representatives decided on their own to obey higher orders to scrap our atomic plants, and are now building coal fueled ones because the sun has the temerity to stop shining on the acreages of subsised solar panels in former fertile private fields. Mind you, the atomics were substandard and worn out anyway, and it was getting a bit hard to cover up the kickbacks and dodgy deals and shonky planning and suppression of clean nuke power (eg thorium). However, we are purchasing surplus atomic energy from the Czechs, who have a lovely old Russian reactor just around the bend. Also, the Austrians and other friendly neighbours are selling us their surplus power too, but still our grids are stretched to breaking point. The wind also seems to be not getting with the green program, despite a lot of assistance from activists blowing hard from both ends. Never mind, at least the windturbines are chopping up thousands of birds that otherwise might eat what GM crops we still manage to grow, fertilised by cash of course. The turbines are horribly expensive and seem to wear out much faster than claimed, but it's public money which is abundant and inexhaustible, a true renewable and it's green!

We have wonderful new perhaps slightly toxic light bulbs that save energy by providing less light, and by being so bloody expensive and short lived that candles and oil (biofool oil of course) lamps are starting to look good. Maybe Al Gore can bend over and bless us with free light.

Wherever we turn we are assailed by mindless robots repeating ad nauseum every tidbit the propaganda system feeds them. The groupthink is so effective, that people are getting to the point of asking for a dictator to clean up the mess....no need to remind anyone how that turned out last time we tried? Ah well, nobody remembers anyway, so I guess it will require a repeat, just with better toys this time.

It's like Hamelin around here, after the Pied Piper went through. Not many children. Because it's too damn hard to afford them, and we're told not to bring any more useless mouths into the system. They might soak up all the money needed for electric cars and spaceships to mars. Never mind, all our useless oldies can look forward to the pleasant exit rather than suffering, once euthanasia gets popular again and comes out of the closet.

Meanwhile, the sun shines and warms the earth, and its solar wind regulates the amount of cloud-seeding cosmic radiation. Volcanoes and farting ruminants pump naughty carbon into the air (way more than us!), which the plants love as it is food for them. Indeed, not all that long ago it was much warmer, and plants grew better. Hopefully it does get warmer, because off-grid folks will be happy in their gardens, and the econuts can smoke more of whatever they're on; perhaps enough to make them forget to make everyone miserable and poor. Well, not everyone. Ted and Phil and Bill and all their buddies are doin' fine. Don't get me wrong, we should be better stewards of creation, but also use our God-given brain to THINK, instead of FEEL.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:43   #74

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
There is also a phenomena that makes results self fulfilling...that is where if one looks for a result one tends to find it.
Don't look here
Old 26-02-2013, 12:47   #75

man made global warming is a religion. that's why you will never win the argument. just like you will never convince a suicide bomber that there will not be 72 virgins waiting for him at the Gates of Hell. have another shot of Kool Aid, on me.

CNN Anchor asks whether global warming caused asteroid - YouTube
Closed Thread